Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear Tood Haley

Legend

User Info Menu

Dear Tood Haley

Can you please enable Ben to be successful on 1st and 2nd downs like he is on 3rd downs?

Let's be real about a couple things. Our Oline stinks. Our #2 and #3 TE shouldn't be on the field over any of our WRs. Our running game doesn't work because our Oline doesn't work.

Pretty much Ben is heroic. This is a 6-10 team with just about any other QB.

Can we try to help him get 4-5 yards or more on 1st and 2nd downs?

We can see you're trying to do things differently. But it's still a lot of the same where we live on Ben being heroic on 3rd downs. It's not sustainable. It's gonna get him killed behind our line eventually.

I was thinking we hired you to help preserve Ben and lengthen his career. But I see the same 3rd and long situations that are forcing Ben to hold the ball to make plays down field that's gonna open him up to getting hit/hurt.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Can you please enable Ben to be successful on 1st and 2nd downs like he is on 3rd downs?

Let's be real about a couple things. Our Oline stinks. Our #2 and #3 TE shouldn't be on the field over any of our WRs. Our running game doesn't work because our Oline doesn't work.

We can see you're trying to do things differently. But it's still a lot of the same where we live on Ben being heroic on 3rd downs. It's not sustainable. It's gonna get him killed behind our line eventually.

I was thinking we hired you to help preserve Ben and lengthen his career. But I see the same 3rd and long situations that are forcing Ben to hold the ball to make plays down field that's gonna open him up to getting hit/hurt.
    I don't disagree. But, I don't think he is being stubborn either. Willie Colon is settling in at LG and figuring things out, and Max is rounding into form (no pun intended) after his injury. This offensive line could still be decent. Last season, Pouncey, Foster, and Gilbert run blocked well together in several games. Once this group gets some more time together they could be a decent run blocking group. They need the reps. I do think they need to mix in more play action pass on first down.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's only been two games. If Arians was here it would be even worse with Ben getting brutalized. Haley is still learning the strengths of his players and what they are capable of. Everyone knows you can place a lot on Bens shoulders and Arians over did it. Haley is trying to make it that, Ben doesn't have to be the hero each week. You can only strecth the fabric so far before it rips.
    Colon was a reach at tackle and now he's trying to play guard and from what I've seen they were better off keeping Kemoeatu. Arians got to grow with this team as a receivers coach then the OC and he couldn't keep Ben from getting the crap knocked out of him and the offense only went as far as Ben could take them. Haley will make this offense a good unit with Ben leading the way. BTW, Haley doesn't have the luxury of a great defenses as Arians did.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    ...now he's trying to play guard and from what I've seen they were better off keeping Kemoeatu.
    Now that's just crazy talk!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

BTW, Haley uses the best players he has and makes his offense go through them...

In Arizona, it was Warner, Fitzgerald and Boldin...

In KC, Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones were better than Matt Cassel...

Here, it's Ben, the WRs and Heath...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Also, who is Tood Haley?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Colon was a reach at tackle and now he's trying to play guard and from what I've seen they were better off keeping Kemoeatu.
    That is just plain crazy talk. Colon has been playing OG under real game conditions for just two games now. Kemo did it for his whole playing life. IMO Colon is already showing better than Kemo did last year.

Colon will not be a long term problem at OG, Kemo was.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    BTW, Haley uses the best players he has and makes his offense go through them...

In Arizona, it was Warner, Fitzgerald and Boldin...

In KC, Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones were better than Matt Cassel...

Here, it's Ben, the WRs and Heath...
    It's called adjusting to make your players and therefore the team successful versus putting out a template. I'm looking forward to the season because I think every game we will see something a little different from Haley but it will be Ben, the WRs and Heath (maybe Saunders) who will win games for us. Running the ball is clearly a supporting role right now.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It's called adjusting to make your players and therefore the team successful versus putting out a template. I'm looking forward to the season because I think every game we will see something a little different from Haley but it will be Ben, the WRs and Heath (maybe Saunders) who will win games for us. Running the ball is clearly a supporting role right now.

I can live with that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

There are ALOT more plays with quick passes. 1-2-3 and gone! Was I watching a different game? A friend and I were discussing this during the game.