Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: TOP will kill opponents

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381

    TOP will kill opponents

    One thing I really like is the Time of Posession that we are seeing through two games. I know our running has not been effective at the beginning of games, but we are still continuing to pound the rb's.

    If we continue this along with Ben's stellar 3rd down play, we will see defenses gassed at the end of games while our D will be fresh.

    Roethlisberger on 3rd downs this year: 19-25, 251 yds, 3 TD
    Last edited by BigRob; 09-17-2012 at 05:40 PM.

  2. #2
    Great post, BigRob!

    I don't know if anyone can possibly know this but some Steeler computer dude, but I wonder what the breakdown of runs/ypc, passes/ypa were in that amazing 10 minute period of time in yesterday's 4th qrtr.

    I guess what I'm REALLY wondering is: did we control the ball on the ground like when Bettis was around, or was it two plays of 2 yards each and then a Ben the Savior play every 3rd down?


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Great post, BigRob!

    I don't know if anyone can possibly know this but some Steeler computer dude, but I wonder what the breakdown of runs/ypc, passes/ypa were in that amazing 10 minute period of time in yesterday's 4th qrtr.

    I guess what I'm REALLY wondering is: did we control the ball on the ground like when Bettis was around, or was it two plays of 2 yards each and then a Ben the Savior play every 3rd down?
    10 min drive -

    8 - Rushing Attempts, 31 yards gained - 3.8 avg.
    5 - Passing Completions, 47 yards gained - 9.4 avg.

    1st-10, PIT25 13:47 I. Redman rushed up the middle for 3 yard gain
    2nd-7, PIT28 13:04 B. Roethlisberger passed to M. Wallace to the right for 6 yard gain
    3rd-1, PIT34 12:23 I. Redman rushed to the left for 10 yard gain

    1st-10, PIT44 11:38 I. Redman rushed up the middle for 2 yard loss
    2nd-12, PIT42 10:54 B. Roethlisberger passed to H. Miller to the left for 8 yard gain
    3rd-4, 50 10:10 NY Jets committed 5 yard penalty

    1st-10, NYJ45 9:39 B. Roethlisberger sacked by G. McIntyre
    2nd-13, NYJ48 8:58 Pittsburgh committed 5 yard penalty
    2nd-18, PIT47 8:35 B. Roethlisberger passed to I. Redman to the left for 14 yard gain
    3rd-4, NYJ39 7:48 B. Roethlisberger passed to A. Brown to the right for 9 yard gain

    1st-10, NYJ30 7:08 I. Redman rushed to the left for 6 yard gain
    2nd-4, NYJ24 6:27 I. Redman rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
    3rd-3, NYJ23 5:43 B. Roethlisberger passed to H. Miller to the right for 10 yard gain

    1st-10, NYJ13 5:08 J. Dwyer rushed to the left for 4 yard gain
    2nd-6, NYJ9 4:29 J. Dwyer rushed to the right for 7 yard gain

    1st-2, NYJ2 3:34 I. Redman rushed to the right for 2 yard touchdown. S. Suisham made PAT

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonbull View Post
    10 min drive -

    8 - Rushing Attempts, 31 yards gained - 3.8 avg.
    5 - Passing Completions, 47 yards gained - 9.4 avg.

    1st-10, PIT25 13:47 I. Redman rushed up the middle for 3 yard gain
    2nd-7, PIT28 13:04 B. Roethlisberger passed to M. Wallace to the right for 6 yard gain
    3rd-1, PIT34 12:23 I. Redman rushed to the left for 10 yard gain

    1st-10, PIT44 11:38 I. Redman rushed up the middle for 2 yard loss
    2nd-12, PIT42 10:54 B. Roethlisberger passed to H. Miller to the left for 8 yard gain
    3rd-4, 50 10:10 NY Jets committed 5 yard penalty

    1st-10, NYJ45 9:39 B. Roethlisberger sacked by G. McIntyre
    2nd-13, NYJ48 8:58 Pittsburgh committed 5 yard penalty
    2nd-18, PIT47 8:35 B. Roethlisberger passed to I. Redman to the left for 14 yard gain
    3rd-4, NYJ39 7:48 B. Roethlisberger passed to A. Brown to the right for 9 yard gain

    1st-10, NYJ30 7:08 I. Redman rushed to the left for 6 yard gain
    2nd-4, NYJ24 6:27 I. Redman rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
    3rd-3, NYJ23 5:43 B. Roethlisberger passed to H. Miller to the right for 10 yard gain

    1st-10, NYJ13 5:08 J. Dwyer rushed to the left for 4 yard gain
    2nd-6, NYJ9 4:29 J. Dwyer rushed to the right for 7 yard gain

    1st-2, NYJ2 3:34 I. Redman rushed to the right for 2 yard touchdown. S. Suisham made PAT
    Lonbull: I have one thing to say - !

    So two first downs by running, 2 by passing, 1 by penalty, and 1 was actually a rushing TD.
    3.8 yd ypc - not stellar, but enough to move the chains.

    That's how we win ball games!!


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,901
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Lonbull: I have one thing to say - !

    So two first downs by running, 2 by passing, 1 by penalty, and 1 was actually a rushing TD.
    3.8 yd ypc - not stellar, but enough to move the chains.

    That's how we win ball games!!
    hmmm. let's see. in my book 3.8 x 3 downs = 11 yds per set, give or take. seems like more than enough to move the chains. and yes, I am yanking yours...

  6. #6
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,466
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    hmmm. let's see. in my book 3.8 x 3 downs = 11 yds per set, give or take. seems like more than enough to move the chains. and yes, I am yanking yours...
    That drive was impressive. 3.8 YPC is pretty good actually. Our average YPC throughout the game was 2.4.... that needs to improve.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler skyhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,959
    What's the percentage in the red zone so far? TOP is nice and keeps the other O off the field, but if they can't score TDs and also have a hard time forcing turnovers the TOP doesn't matter on the score board one bit.

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Yeah, TOP really killed Denver when we had the ball the entire 3rd quarter, but kicked FG's....they had it around 40 seconds and won the quarter 7-3. And to top it off, their D was on the field the entire 3rd quarter but had no problem dominating us when it mattered in the 4th to seal the win.

    Time of possession is worthless. Points on the scoreboard is all that matters.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Yeah, TOP really killed Denver when we had the ball the entire 3rd quarter, but kicked FG's....they had it around 40 seconds and won the quarter 7-3. And to top it off, their D was on the field the entire 3rd quarter but had no problem dominating us when it mattered in the 4th to seal the win.

    Time of possession is worthless. Points on the scoreboard is all that matters.
    Time of possession is only worthless if you don't score TDs...

    If you have good ToP, you can score only 27 points yet still win the game by three scores...

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Time of possession is only worthless if you don't score TDs...

    If you have good ToP, you can score only 27 points yet still win the game by three scores...
    Only 27 points? If we can score 27 points a game this year with TOP on our side we will likely be 13-3 or 14-2.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •