Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys think our OL played?

Legend

User Info Menu

How do you guys think our OL played?

I always forget to focus on them during the game ... I don't remember too many false starts (Colon must have been under the weather or something), but Ben did have to scramble hard 2 or 3 times, seems like they did ok overall to me ... any one want to give them a grade?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Backup

User Info Menu

They did a better job in pass protection than they did in run blocking.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

they completed the game without injury and ben for the most part stayed clean. it appeared the jets were executing a lot of run blitzes, many which were successful. nevertheless we ran enough to keep them honest and gave ben enough time to find the open WR's. I'd grade today as a solid B.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Run blocking is still work in progress. Ben made the pass blocking look better than it was. Overall it was a "C" game for the OL.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Obviously they played well enough to win...but....

The running game needs help.

Short passes have allowed us to keep Ben healthy.

Way too much contact behind the line of scrimmage.

The OL needs to continue to improve and hopefully will as the season progresses.

Legend

User Info Menu

On pace for 64 sacks. Helping out backs get 2 YPC. Getting everyone hit in the backfield.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    On pace for 64 sacks. Helping out backs get 2 YPC. Getting everyone hit in the backfield.
    Still way too much penetration of the interior of the OL. Everyone got beat yesterday. We know Foster isn't the answer, but is Pouncey more hype than performance? Is Colon still learning?

For a new thought, is Kugler the problem? We all, me included, praised Kugler a couple of years ago but the OL is still marginal and we absorb an extremely high number of injuries. Thoughts?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I still think this OL has some real potential if they can stay healthy. Once we get Castro in the line-up and he gets his feet under him, I think we can be good.

One thing I like about this year, it seems like we are going to be able to get and peak at the right time if everyone can get and stay healthy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Still way too much penetration of the interior of the OL. Everyone got beat yesterday. We know Foster isn't the answer, but is Pouncey more hype than performance? Is Colon still learning?

For a new thought, is Kugler the problem? We all, me included, praised Kugler a couple of years ago but the OL is still marginal and we absorb an extremely high number of injuries. Thoughts?
    I think formations are giving away our intentions too much. Lining up 3 TE's next to each other on the end of the line then attempting to run behind them over and over (had to be a half dozen times at least) is moronically stupid. Leonard Pope and David Paulson scare no one. The speed of our wideouts scare everyone. Why keep our WR's on the bench in favor of multiple TE packages? I think the reason that Ben is so good on 3rd down is because that is the only time that he has Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Heath, and a single RB at his disposal. If we used that formation more on 1st and 2nd down as well, we could pass and run out of it as well. The oppositon is forced to play nickel against our 3-wide set, and the safeties have to play deep in order to respect our deep speed. That means that there are only 6 men in the box for our 5 OL and Heath to block if we want to run. That is much better than bringing in more crappy TE's on the line so that the defense has 9 men stacked in the box against us (shocking that we can't run for 3 yards a carry when we have a steady dose of this as our routine run formation).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I think formations are giving away our intentions too much. Lining up 3 TE's next to each other on the end of the line then attempting to run behind them over and over (had to be a half dozen times at least) is moronically stupid. Leonard Pope and David Paulson scare no one. The speed of our wideouts scare everyone. Why keep our WR's on the bench in favor of multiple TE packages? I think the reason that Ben is so good on 3rd down is because that is the only time that he has Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Heath, and a single RB at his disposal. If we used that formation more on 1st and 2nd down as well, we could pass and run out of it as well. The oppositon is forced to play nickel against our 3-wide set, and the safeties have to play deep in order to respect our deep speed. That means that there are only 6 men in the box for our 5 OL and Heath to block if we want to run. That is much better than bringing in more crappy TE's on the line so that the defense has 9 men stacked in the box against us (shocking that we can't run for 3 yards a carry when we have a steady dose of this as our routine run formation).

I completely agree, with Revis out I really expected us to run some 4 WR formations and instead we ran 3 TE ones?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha