Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys think our OL played?

Legend

User Info Menu

^ ^ Were we just running out the clock, or using the run to set up the pass?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I think formations are giving away our intentions too much. Lining up 3 TE's next to each other on the end of the line then attempting to run behind them over and over (had to be a half dozen times at least) is moronically stupid. Leonard Pope and David Paulson scare no one. The speed of our wideouts scare everyone. Why keep our WR's on the bench in favor of multiple TE packages? I think the reason that Ben is so good on 3rd down is because that is the only time that he has Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Heath, and a single RB at his disposal. If we used that formation more on 1st and 2nd down as well, we could pass and run out of it as well. The oppositon is forced to play nickel against our 3-wide set, and the safeties have to play deep in order to respect our deep speed. That means that there are only 6 men in the box for our 5 OL and Heath to block if we want to run. That is much better than bringing in more crappy TE's on the line so that the defense has 9 men stacked in the box against us (shocking that we can't run for 3 yards a carry when we have a steady dose of this as our routine run formation).
    I can only figure that it was something that Haley saw on tape...Buffalo ran for 195 yards on the Jest last week...they shored up their run D by run blitzing quite a bit...

Last week, against the Yonkos, the Steelers were in 3 WR formations for most of the game...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Still way too much penetration of the interior of the OL. Everyone got beat yesterday. We know Foster isn't the answer, but is Pouncey more hype than performance? Is Colon still learning?

For a new thought, is Kugler the problem? We all, me included, praised Kugler a couple of years ago but the OL is still marginal and we absorb an extremely high number of injuries. Thoughts?
    I agree with everything you said. The penetration the Jets got on running plays was unbelieveable.

Pouncey did not look as good last year as he did as a rookie. This year so far he looks worse. I've seen him walked into the backfield on numerous plays. I thought Colon and Pouncey would give us some nice push on the left side for us to get some of those tough 1 and 2 yards pickups that we need occasionally. That hasn't been the case. Maybe Kugler isn't what we thought after that first year when it appeared he was turning the offensive line around.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

I am wondering if those Tight End sets will be more effective in the play action game when Saunders comes back..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post
    I am wondering if those Tight End sets will be more effective in the play action game when Saunders comes back..
    I like Saunders more than Pope or Paulson, but there is still no excuse for having 3 TE and only 1 WR on the field. Based on best available talent, that ratio should be reversed.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I like Saunders more than Pope or Paulson, but there is still no excuse for having 3 TE and only 1 WR on the field. Based on best available talent, that ratio should be reversed.
    Completely agree. Our WRs are too talented to be watching from the sidelines. I saw Sanders out way too often.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Completely agree. Our WRs are too talented to be watching from the sidelines. I saw Sanders out way too often.
    The only way Wally, Brown, and Sanders should come off the field is if they need a breather. And guys like Cotchery and Rainey should be rotating with them, not the TEs.

Legend

User Info Menu

What would you guys see our "3rd and goal from the 3" package being, after the obligate 6 (5 linemen + Ben)?

Wallace, Brown, Sanders
    Heath
    1 of Mendy/Red/Dwyer?

No room for a FB/lead blocker?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    What would you guys see our "3rd and goal from the 3" package being, after the obligate 6 (5 linemen + Ben)?

Wallace, Brown, Sanders
    Heath
    1 of Mendy/Red/Dwyer?

No room for a FB/lead blocker?
    Goal-line packages are different...but that type of specialty offensive formation should be reserved almost exclusively for goal line or short yardage situations, not on 1st and 10 from your own 20, or 2nd and 7 from their 45.

Remember, if we take out a FB for an extra WR, then the defense must respond by bringing in an extra DB and removing someone from their front 7. So the big guy in the box that the FB would likely be blocking is no longer there anymore(it's now a skinny guy opposite Manny Sanders instead).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Looking to get ground game rolling

Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

The Steelers have a long history of running backs producing 100-yard games, but so far in two games this season they haven’t averaged 100 yards rushing per game as a team, with only 54 rushes for 141 yards for a 2.6-yard average per carry.

“We haven’t run the ball as well as we have liked,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “I’m not interested in assigning blame in that regard. I will take responsibility for it.

“The reality is we’ve got room for growth. We need to tighten up our menu and lean on the things we are doing well. We need to block better and put the ball where it needs to be on a more consistent basis.”

The Steelers have been without running back Rashard Mendenhall in the first two weeks, although Tomlin did say he would get more work in practice this week but his status for Sunday’s game on the road against the Oakland Raiders has not been determined. Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redmanhave shared the workload for the running game, with Dwyer averaging 3.4 yards per carry and Redman two yards per carry through two games.

“We all have a hand in where our running game is right now,” said Tomlin. “I hope that we all have a hand in correcting it in the near future. I know it needs to be an asset for us moving forward, particularly as we move into a hostile environment like the one we are going into this weekend.”

The Steelers were able to move the ball on the ground in the fourth quarter against the New York Jets at Heinz Field this past week, with eight rushing plays for 31 yards during a drive that was a little over 10 minutes and ended with a two-yard touchdown run by Redman.

Tomlin was pleased with the performance of the ground game on the drive, but not fully satisfied.

“I’m looking for more than that,” said Tomlin. “We were able to run the ball and possess the ball. I think we ran it six or seven times for right around 30 yards. That’s not what I’m looking for. I’m actually looking for better than that.”

The Steelers passing game has accounted for 520 yards through two games, with Ben Roethlisberger completing 46 of 71 pass attempts.

The key now is to get the offense balanced, something Tomlin is confident will come in time.

“I think in the long term we seek balance,” said Tomlin. “It’s dangerous to look for those types of things at this juncture because we’re only two weeks, or eight quarters of football, into it. Over the long haul, absolutely we intend to strike a balance offensively and possess the ball and score. It’s just probably a little early for us, at this point, to paint with a broad brush.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Looking-to-get-ground-game-rolling/7f26a810-43a1-4ed0-8882-7350c9c187ef[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha