Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can we stop the RB Debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Are you kidding? If not for the TERRIBLE tackling courtesy of the New York Jets those second effort runs by Redman don't happen. Dwyer has better vision, better feet and can actually make people miss. Redman is a battering ram. Once our o-line is situated Dwyer is going to be a exceptional compliment to Mendenhall, hell he may prove to be better. I thought Redman looked putrid yesterday even with the TD run.
    If you say so...

But, Dwyer looked equally "putrid" yesterday...

Perhaps he could have used some "second effort"...

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I haven't changed my opinion on the matter. I think both Redman and Dwyer run HARDER than Mendy and have a better shot at making something out of nothing. Mendy has a few better moves and more speed and can take one to the house if he gets into the secondary.

If there is no hole Redman/Dwyer > Mendy.

Overall, the weakest link in our run game is the offensive line. Redman's average was killed by the number of times there was someone in the backfield immediately after he got the ball.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Are you kidding? If not for the TERRIBLE tackling courtesy of the New York Jets those second effort runs by Redman don't happen. Dwyer has better vision, better feet and can actually make people miss. Redman is a battering ram. Once our o-line is situated Dwyer is going to be a exceptional compliment to Mendenhall, hell he may prove to be better. I thought Redman looked putrid yesterday even with the TD run.
    We apparently see different things. I think Redman is more elusive than Dwyer, but that they're both more "battering ram" type of backs. In the first two games I've been pleasantly surprised by Redman being able to spin out of tackles and keep the run alive as well as both him and Dwyer bouncing runs to the outside when there are no holes open, since I used to think of Redman as just a north/south type of runner.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    If we are going to see the Steelers minus Mendenhall next season, Chadman believes one of two things needs to happen:

1. Dwyer becomes are #1 RB with Redman as the short yardage thumper & Rainey the 3rd down RB. Dwyer has more 'upside' in his running style- we are seeing already what Redman brings to the table- seems to run hard, noth/south... but doesn't really look like he can take it up a level. Not saying it's a bad thing- just think Redman is limited. Dwyer has better feet, looks faster, more decisive. Looks more capable. There's talent there.

2. Draft a workhorse RB. Have Dwyer & Redman battle it out for the short yardage role. Have Rainey as the 3rd down guy. If Dwyer can't prove to be 'the guy', then the Steelers need to get a RB that can carry the load. Along with Safety, this could be the position of greatest need next season.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Steelers Notebook: Running game remains just a bit out of step

September 17, 2012
    By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers improved to 1-1 after their 27-10 victory against the New York Jets Sunday at Heinz Field, but after two games they're still searching for a running game.

After rushing for 75 yards on 26 carries in the opening-week loss at Denver, the Steelers rushed for just 66 yards on 28 carries against the Jets.

The Steelers are averaging just 2.6 yards per carry this season. The leading rusher Sunday was Jonathan Dwyer, who had 28 yards on 12 carries.

The Steelers had six negative run plays, including four on their first two drives when they settled for field goals.

"I take some responsibility for that," said Willie Colon, the starting left guard who is making the transition after playing right tackle for the past six years. "I wasn't clean on a lot of my pulls. We have to be a lot more efficient mechanically up front. Those are all things that will come."

The alarming aspect of those negative yardage plays was the amount of yardage lost. Isaac Redman was tackled for a 7-yard loss on the second play from scrimmage. Later in the drive on second-and-four, he was tackled for a 3-yard loss. The Steelers had to settle for a field goal.

In the third quarter, Dwyer was tackled for a 6-yard loss on second-and-10. That play did not hurt the Steelers because quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw a 37-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace on third-and-16 to make the score 20-10.

The line did go out on a high note when the offense possessed the ball for a 14-play, 75-yard drive that ate up 10:13 in the fourth quarter. That drive culminated with a Redman 2-yard touchdown run that made the score 27-10.

On that drive the running backs accounted for 29 yards, nearly half of the game's total rushing yards.

"When it came down to it the offensive line played a good game," Dwyer said. "We had some big plays in the passing game that helped us have holes. At the end of the day, that's when it counts. You want to close the game out. We made it count. We stepped up to the challenge."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz26nCR8Bid

Hall of Famer
    We need to be able to get a consistent 4 yards on 1st or 2nd down running the ball. That would take a lot of pressure off of Ben. But, I like the way the running backs are playing. The effort is certainly there.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

The Steelers had six negative run plays, including four on their first two drives when they settled for field goals.

"I take some responsibility for that," said Willie Colon, the starting left guard who is making the transition after playing right tackle for the past six years. "I wasn't clean on a lot of my pulls. We have to be a lot more efficient mechanically up front. Those are all things that will come."
    None of our RBs looked very good until the final drive, but the discussion ought to be about the crappy run blocking. Colon was supposed to be all-world when he got his chance at guard. He was overrated as a tackle, IMO, and so far, he's been a disappointment at guard. Hope that changes (and it might; after all, he's still new to the position).

What I see is that, in spite of all the talk about upgrading our OL, our run blocking is worse than ever.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    None of our RBs looked very good until the final drive, but the discussion ought to be about the crappy run blocking. Colon was supposed to be all-world when he got his chance at guard. He was overrated as a tackle, IMO, and so far, he's been a disappointment at guard. Hope that changes (and it might; after all, he's still new to the position).

What I see is that, in spite of all the talk about upgrading our OL, our run blocking is worse than ever.
    I agree Bradshaw. All three have their strong points, and all three have weaknesses. I see them as interchangeable right now with the blocking that is occurring (or not occurring) on the OL. I think most are wishing it will get better with Mendy, but I don't see it as a given. The cries of "Spindenhall" still ring in my ears from last season.