Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger: A cerebral QB

People like you deserve another 20-year QB drought.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    Brady has only played 2 games. I doubt if the Pats fans are upset. They lost a game that BRADY put them in position to win. Kicker blew the game and not Brady. Its idiotic to think that a guy on the SIDELINE is responsible for poor passing and inconsistent play of the offfense. IF it was Arians you would see the same thing in Indy or worse (with a rookie). The facts dont prove that. What the facts prove is that Arians WITH A ROOKIE is rated 24th in the NFL and Haley with A 9 YEAR VET is 25th.

So with all of the "Ben has been great on 3rd down" crap, his offense is STILL 25th in the league. Elite? Hardly

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...2&d-447263-n=1
    What is not shocking? Arians' offense ranks behind Haley's offense in scoring...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Moore, Advanced NFL Stats
    Dominating the short passing game is an excellent sign for both Roethlisberger and new Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, noted for his focus on short passes.

---

"We had a couple of good long drives," Roethlisberger said. "I feel that taking the short pass can be a weapon for us. We need to get our playmakers the ball. On that (fourth-quarter) drive we didn't have any big, deep plays. It was all crossing routes, out routes and things like that."

---

After a difficult night in Roethlisberger's first go-round with the new offense last Sunday night against Denver, Haley's designs shown through brilliantly this week. The Steelers have the weapons to keep this going -- Antonio Brown and Heath Miller on short routes with Mike Wallace a perennial check downfield. And, as Sunday's game showed, Ben Roethlisberger is more than up to the task of executing it to near-perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cosell, NFL Films
    In his early years, Roethlisberger was an instinctive, intuitive player who was special at times, but who had sandlot tendencies that limited his consistency. Now, after eight years as the Steelers’ starter, he’s a far more mature, disciplined quarterback. That will only lengthen his career. Will we continue to see those signature plays that have defined his career? Certainly. But my guess is we’ll see fewer of them, because he’s a better overall player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kaboly, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    It wasn’t that long ago that Roethlisberger was a one-read quarterback. If the first guy in the route wasn’t open, he’d scramble to try to make something happen.

It’s not like that anymore.
    Everybody sees it except for stopplayn.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Everybody sees it except for stopplayn.
    Also from Matt Williamson's weekly Wednesday morning Scouts Inc. NFL chat session on ESPN.com 2 days ago:

Matt Williamson (12:29 PM)

Oh, going to throw this out there-was asked on the radio which QB has played the best so far after two weeks. Who is your vote? I went with Big Ben off the top of my head and after much thought am sticking with it.

Brady has only played 2 games.
    I don't know where you're getting your information from but I think you need to check your sources better. I have it on good authority that Brady has played in a lot more games than just two.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Backup
    You guys can post all of the quotes you want from guys who watch the Steelers WHEN THEY ARE ON NATIONALY. I have watched every game of Bens career. What I see is an INCONSISTENT Qb who is carried by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Ben Roethlisberger is NOT the primary reason that we are elite. Defense is. Thats why the experts give Ben props for winning 2 Super Bowls. In those 2 wins Ben has 3 TDs and FIVE INTS with a 60 rating. He is HARDLY the reason for those two wins. Bring up Arizona and I will bring up Santonio Holmes (Yac and eventual MVP). You will never see anywhere where I say Ben sucks or isnt good. I just say he is not elite and is slow to process the information (hence all of the sacks)

Lastly, I have proven that the Sack problem existed with Wiz, Haley and Arians (Its not the line ITS BEN). I have proven that Arians was not the problem for our Offenses lethargic play (Sure isnt happening in Indy with a ROOKIE). Lastly, notice that Moss didnt have to stradle the end zone line to catch a terrible pass. Ben put Wallace is such a pickle its no wonder his groin is sore. Look at how awkward his legs are after the catch.

Backup
    Next excuse. According to some of you Ben Roethlilsberger needs Bill Walsh as an OC. The BEST O Line possible. The best receivers and best backs. Even with all that and if there is a failure then there is still an excuse.
    The line, The OC, Tomlin, Wallace doesnt fight for balls, Rooner wont let Ben be Ben. So because we had a 20 year drought in productive qbs I should not point out his shortcomings? We can criticize EVERY Steeler on the roster but since we had a 20 year drought Ben is off limits. Ok

Hall of Famer
    what was his QB percentage in the 3 playoffs wins leading up to SB XL?

You guys can post all of the quotes you want from guys who watch the Steelers WHEN THEY ARE ON NATIONALY.
    Greg Cosell has worked for NFL Films for decades. That means he watches game film for a living.

I have watched every game of Bens career.
    So have I, and yet, my opinion of him is quite different from yours. In fact, it aligns more properly with Greg Cosell, who watches game film for a living.

What I see is an INCONSISTENT Qb who is carried by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Ben Roethlisberger is NOT the primary reason that we are elite. Defense is.
    And what I see is what Greg Cosell, who watches game film for a living, has seen.

Thats why the experts give Ben props for winning 2 Super Bowls.
    Rightly so. The Steelers wouldn't have made it to Super Bowl XL without him, and they wouldn't have won Super Bowl XLIII without him.

In those 2 wins Ben has 3 TDs and FIVE INTS with a 60 rating.
    Seems about right, being the halfway point between 22.6 and 93.2, the latter being his passer rating in Super Bowl XLIII.

He is HARDLY the reason for those two wins. Bring up Arizona and I will bring up Santonio Holmes (Yac and eventual MVP).
    Yeah, that 40-yard catch-and-run by Holmes on the game-winning drive would have more than likely been just a 10-yard catch with no yards thereafter had Roethlisberger not faked out Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie with a pump fake to Mewelde Moore in the right flat just prior to the actual pass. Even Steve Young pointed that play out in the post-game coverage, noting that Roethlisberger set up the YAC by making Rodgers-Cromartie bite on the pump fake.

You will never see anywhere where I say Ben sucks or isnt good. I just say he is not elite and is slow to process the information (hence all of the sacks)
    Greg Cosell, who watches game film for a living, appears to disagree.

...notice that Moss didnt have to stradle the end zone line to catch a terrible pass. Ben put Wallace is such a pickle its no wonder his groin is sore. Look at how awkward his legs are after the catch.
    You love Peyton Manning, right? Did you see the acrobatics that Demariyous Thomas needed to catch the Broncos' first TD against the Falcons last Monday night? WRs get paid to make plays too, because not every pass is going to be poetry in motion, even from the best QBs. Speaking of poetry in motion, did you see Roethlisberger's TD pass to Heath Miller last game? Let's just pretend that never happened.

Hey, look, it's your credibility!

Well, it was your credibility...

Speaking of credibility, Greg Cosell watches game film for a living.

Backup
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    what was his QB percentage in the 3 playoffs wins leading up to SB XL?
    So you go back ALL THE WAY to 2005? The fact that you had to go back SEVEN years is all the evidence I need. Those games mean nothing if we lose SB 40. Neil was really efficient leading up to SB 30 so does what happend in SB 30 get nullified due to prior games? NO.

Point made