Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger: A cerebral QB

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    You cant give a pct without 1st knowing the opponent and their strengths. If you are playing a team that is strong against the run do you impose your will or attack their weakness? It would be smart to attack their weakness.
    not according to the the Bruce Arians philosophy:

"if your opponent is weak against the run and strong against the pass, that opponent will know that you will try to exploit their weakness against the run. therefore, we will fool them by ignoring the run and will only pass against them"

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    not according to the the Bruce Arians philosophy:

"if your opponent is weak against the run and strong against the pass, that opponent will know that you will try to exploit their weakness against the run. therefore, we will fool them by ignoring the run and will only pass against them"
    Good Lord, wasn't that the truth?

60% pass/40% run is too much...

The reason that Ben's stats look so good compared to the run is that the ratio is closer than 60% passing...once that number is approached, the YpA and efficacy of the pass falls while the run game's increases...

Last year, the Steelers had the highest YpC in 10 years, but I thought the offense wasn't particularly good...

This is a team that needs balance to be effective, overall...when the Steelers have been more balanced in the past, the offense has hummed...we just need to maintain the defense to the level of the last three quarters of the Jest game...

Backup
    If you are good you are good period. How many OC has Tom Brady gone through? Weis, Obrien, Mcdaniels. It doesnt matter he still performs. How good was the Colt OC after Manning couldnt play? Luck is a rookie and is doing quite well under Arians. I'm sorry, I just refused to believe that Arians would hurt the performance of any elite qb. If they didnt like the play that he called, then all they would do is audible and change the play to a better one. I dont know why Ben didnt do the same.

Steelers Notebook: Ben Roethlisberger campaigns for more no-huddle (again)

By Chris Adamski | CBSSports.com
    September 19, 2012

Big Ben is a big fan of the no-huddle offense.

The Steelers' quarterback is a fan of calling his own plays, too -- something that he can usually do if the offense isn't huddling.

Subtly, and without saying anything that might offend his coaches, Ben Roethlisberger campaigned once again Wednesday afternoon for running the no-huddle.

Asked why it wasn't used during a win against the Jets this past Sunday after it had been used successfully the week before in a loss to the Broncos, Roethlisberger said the no-huddle was brought up only once during the New York game.

"Right before halftime, coach Tomlin came to me and asked what I thought about it," Roethlisberger said. "I was all for it, but we never really got to it."

Roethlisberger also took a veiled shot at fans and observers (maybe even his own owner, Art Rooney II), who champion running the ball more.

"That's (OC Todd) Haley's call," Roethlisberger said when asked why more multiple-receiver sets weren't used Sunday. "He's the one that calls all of the plays. There was no no-huddle. Our no-huddle is usually when we have three wide receivers on the field. They saw something and wanted to run the ball with multiple tight ends and keep you guys and the fans happy, I guess."

If the way Roethlisberger is talking makes it sounds like he would call a pass play on every down, listen to this: A big topic of conversation this week is the alleged predictability of the Steelers' offense, which too often seems to go run-run-pass, respectively, during the three downs of a series.

"That's the key, not being predictable," Roethlisberger said. "That's on coaches to know what our tendencies are on different downs and things like that. We put our faith and trust in them that they'll figure out what we need to do."

It's no secret Roethlisberger had a very close relationship with former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and was -- initially, at least -- slow to warm to Haley. Are these subtle shots at him? Here's another quote that involves the quarterback suggesting the team would be better off with Roethlisberger calling the shots than with the coaches calling them.

"It seems like on first and second down, nothing's really happening, and then it's, 'Hey, go make something happen on third down, you guys,'" Roethlisberger said. "We've been able to do that on third downs and make things happen."

More cautious now that he's 30? Having turned 30 and in his ninth season playing a somewhat reckless (albeit remarkably effective) style, conventional wisdom was that Roethlisberger would be more likely to throw a ball away or slide down more quickly or not hold onto the ball so long in an effort to avoid taking hits.

Through two games, it has appeared that way. But Roethlisberger says that's not by design.

"I'm not really trying to do anything different," he said. "It's just the way I'm playing the game. There was no real intention ever to slide and get down or dump the ball off. It's the way I've always played, and if guys are open on the check-downs, I get it to them. I don't really feel like I'm doing anything different."

Roethlisberger on the Greg Schiano-Tom Coughlin kneel-down controversy: "It's tough. I kind of see both sides of it. If I was at quarterback, I wouldn't be happy with it. If it was my defense, I'd say, 'Way to go until the end of the game.' It's hard. You never want to hurt anybody, especially this early in the season. It's not like it's a playoff game and something is going on. There are times when we take a knee at the end of halves and we'll tell the defense that we're taking a knee and everyone backs off. I think at this level that's probably proper etiquette."

Ben's line of the day: In reference to his most recent start in Oakland, a 20-13 loss in which he threw four interceptions a week after being knocked out of a game due to a concussion in October 2006, Roethlisberger said: "All I remember is throwing, like, six or seven picks and it being a crazy, hostile place. That's about it. And losing the game."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...huddle-again--

Backup
    Fact of the matter is blaming an OC for a quarterbacks shortcomings is an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    Fact of the matter is blaming an OC for a quarterbacks shortcomings is an excuse.
    So I guess Tom Brady ain't elite anymore, considering Patriots fans are starting to lose patience with Josh McDaniels as their offensive coordinator.
    Last edited by DBR96A; 09-20-2012 at 06:04 AM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Backup
    Has nothing to do with Brady. If thats is the case then Those fans are just as ignorant as ours. Brady had success with Weis, Obrien, Mcdaniels. Its been proven its NOT the OC behind the greatness.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    So I guess Tom Brady ain't elite anymore, considering Patriots fans are starting to lose patience with Josh McDaniels as their offensive coordinator.

The Patriot fans are dealing with the fact that Brady in 2012 is not Brady in 2007. He is starting to lose it. Still great but the signs are there that he won't be great every game. However, like Steelers fans they don't want to blame the "legend" so McDaniel is the easy target. The Offensive Coord is always the easy target.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Backup
    Brady has only played 2 games. I doubt if the Pats fans are upset. They lost a game that BRADY put them in position to win. Kicker blew the game and not Brady. Its idiotic to think that a guy on the SIDELINE is responsible for poor passing and inconsistent play of the offfense. IF it was Arians you would see the same thing in Indy or worse (with a rookie). The facts dont prove that. What the facts prove is that Arians WITH A ROOKIE is rated 24th in the NFL and Haley with A 9 YEAR VET is 25th.

So with all of the "Ben has been great on 3rd down" crap, his offense is STILL 25th in the league. Elite? Hardly

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...2&d-447263-n=1

Backup
    Next excuse. According to some of you Ben Roethlilsberger needs Bill Walsh as an OC. The BEST O Line possible. The best receivers and best backs. Even with all that and if there is a failure then there is still an excuse.