Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lebeau can't leave fast enough...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not nearly as critical of Lebeau as some and for those who wish he would leave, you'll one day get your wish and you might not be so happy with it.

PLENTY of defenses get exploited. It's a passing-offense-oriented league. The "great Rex Ryan" didn't fare so well against the Steelers yesterday. The "great Bill Belicheck" didn't fare so well the last 2 times he played the Giants in the Super Bowl - nor did he fare well against Kolb and the Cardinals yesterday. It happens.

That said, I will agree that we should be more agressive on defense. If we get torched being agressive, so be it. I loved watching the corners playing man coverage yesterday. They were ABUSING Sanstonio!! I don't even mind a few penalties in that situation. We were in Sanstonio's head all day yesterday and essentially took him out of the game. His ONLY "game" yesterday was to motion like he was throwing a flag.

Beautiful game plan all around yesterday. I can't imagine why anyone would be calling for any coach's head after that one.
    Last edited by Eich; 09-17-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I'm not nearly as critical of Lebeau as some and for those who wish he would leave, you'll one day get your wish and you might not be so happy with it.

PLENTY of defenses get exploited. It's a passing-offense-oriented league. The "great Rex Ryan" didn't fare so well against the Steelers yesterday. The "great Bill Belicheck" didn't fare so well the last 2 times he played the Giants in the Super Bowl - nor did he fare well against Kolb and the Cardinals yesterday. It happens.

That said, I will agree that we should be more agressive on defense. If we get torched being agressive, so be it. I loved watching the corners playing man coverage yesterday. They were ABUSING Sanstonio!! I don't even mind a few penalties in that situation. We were in Sanstonio's head all day yesterday and essentially took him out of the game. His ONLY "game" yesterday was to motion like he was throwing a flag.

Beautiful game plan all around yesterday. I can't imagine why anyone would be calling for any coach's head after that one.
    Agreed. I feel bad for some kids if their parents expect the kind of perfection from them as they do the coaches of the football team they follow. LeBeau is a marvel and worthy HOF coach. Enjoy him while he lasts people.

Legend

User Info Menu

Our D looked great against an average to sub-average offense yesterday, and it looked pretty poor against a good offense the week before.

Assuming we win the games we "should" this year, it will be our performance in just a handful of games, against playoff-caliber teams, that will determine LeBeau's (and the rest of the team's) end-of-year grade. IMO, we really can't say much based on these last two games.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So people think that if we just stay aggressive we will dominate defensively.

You really think DL is scared to put pressure on a QB like Peyton. You don't think it had anything to do with the fact that Peyton was beating that pressure. The pressure worked early in the game but then the Broncos adjusted. Peyton is pretty damn good at that. That's why some say he is the greatest QB ever. Some peoples logic scares me at times.

Did you notice how the Jets defense was using DL's schemes? I wonder why such a defensive innovator like Ryan would imitate a has been like DL?

Off topic but kudos to Haley and the offense. It was great to watch them seal the game in the fourth quarter. That's quite a change from what we usually see. That takes a lot of the pressure off the defense and lets them tee off more on the opponent. I think that is going to have to happen a lot this year because I don't think the defense is going to be as good as years past.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Thats because he didn't coach "scared" this week. After the initial drive he got aggressive and we saw more blitzes than we have in a long time. Timmons was sent at least half a dozen times. Thats always been the issue. Good QB like Manning play scared, average QB like Sanchez play aggressive. We have to be aggressive all the time to do our best. Let's hope that we see the attacking style we saw on Sunday the rest of the season.
    I thought I explained last week how an experience veteran QB like Manning begs teams to blitz him, because if you are rushing 5 or more, he automatically knows who is hot receiver is and is more than happy to dump it off to an open man. I'm not going to bother listing all the stats again, but here's one brief paragraph that sums it up pretty much:

In all Manning finished the night 9-of-11 for 152 of his 253 passing yards against a Steelers rush of five or more players to go with the two touchdowns. That's also an eye-catching 13.8 yards per attempt against the blitz.
    [URL]http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21508314/steelers-find-out-blitzing-peyton-manning-still-risky[/URL]

Against inexperienced QB's like Sanchez, go ahead and blitz. It was funny to see Sanchez trying to throw to what he thought was his hot route, and that receiver never turned around (happened to Holmes a couple of times, who was yelling at Holmes as he came back to the huddle, and also throwing immediately to the TE that filled in for Keller on a 3rd down).

You criticize LeBeau for "not adjusting his game plans" and then say that we should be playing the same blitz-happy defensive scheme regardless of whether we are playing Peyton Manning or Mark Sanchez...yeah, that's smart.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

you can explain it to ovi a hundred times and it won't matter.

all this teams weaknesses are the fault of saint lebeau and ramon foster. Its pretty much the same broken record every season and is damned tiring to say the least.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    you can explain it to ovi a hundred times and it won't matter.

all this teams weaknesses are the fault of saint lebeau and ramon foster. Its pretty much the same broken record every season and is damned tiring to say the least.
    Don't read it then. Easy solution. Won't offend me in the slightest.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

kinda hard to miss when you post the same thing in about 5 different threads every single day.

we can all read big guy, you don't have say the same thing a 100 times.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I thought I explained last week how an experience veteran QB like Manning begs teams to blitz him, because if you are rushing 5 or more, he automatically knows who is hot receiver is and is more than happy to dump it off to an open man. I'm not going to bother listing all the stats again, but here's one brief paragraph that sums it up pretty much:

[URL]http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21508314/steelers-find-out-blitzing-peyton-manning-still-risky[/URL]

Against inexperienced QB's like Sanchez, go ahead and blitz. It was funny to see Sanchez trying to throw to what he thought was his hot route, and that receiver never turned around (happened to Holmes a couple of times, who was yelling at Holmes as he came back to the huddle, and also throwing immediately to the TE that filled in for Keller on a 3rd down).

You criticize LeBeau for "not adjusting his game plans" and then say that we should be playing the same blitz-happy defensive scheme regardless of whether we are playing Peyton Manning or Mark Sanchez...yeah, that's smart.
    I disagree. I think you can still be aggressive and don't have to go into a bend don't break shell when playing a good QB. We saw that last season in the Patriots game where the defense was in the attack mode all game long and rattled Brady. You may have to disguise things better but you don't have to abandon the attacking style that LeBeau invented years ago.

While some, one specifically, wants to turn this into accusations of a personal dislike for LeBeau ( which is ludicrous since I don't know him) I think I have been pretty consistent that it is how LeBeau has abandoned what got him his reputation in recent year that I have an issue with. I don't think the players are less talented.

You articulated that you can't do it with a QB like Manning. Well if the result of not being aggressive is what we saw last Sunday night then what did we accomplish. Keep it close? Can we agree to that based on the most recent evidence? While we may not agree in this matter or anything about how we should play defense, I respect how you articulate your point of view. However, for me I just want to see an attacking style every week. I think that is what has defined the Steelers over the years and I still think that is what we can be successful doing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    kinda hard to miss when you post the same thing in about 5 different threads every single day.

we can all read big guy, you don't have say the same thing a 100 times.
    I think there is an "Ignore" function. Try it or exercise some self discipline and don't read anything I post. Problem is you can't because instead of offering your own opinions whether right or wrong you only criticize others.