Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Question: If this season goes seriously sideways, do the Rooney's blow it up?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Serious Question: If this season goes seriously sideways, do the Rooney's blow it up?

Let me be clear. I am not giving up on this season. All these injuries to the elder Steelers just got me thinking a little.

If we struggle this year and end up with a losing season, do the Rooneys blow up the roster to recover cap space and go "young"?

Could we see the last of Troy, Harrison, Hampton, Clark, Foote, Keisel, and others this year? What do you think?
    Last edited by BigRob; 09-14-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Several of us started saying last year the Steelers are at the point of a "Generational change" WRT the roster. If it goes really bad expect tough decisions to made on guys like Harrison, Polamalu, Kiesel, etc. The reality was that the genesis of the run we had in the last 10 years was the bad years we had at the end of the 1990s. I think we are going the right direction on offense with Haley and some good young talent. Not so sure that is the case on defense.

That said, it is not the Rooney's way to "blow up" anything. They are more about managed, controlled change.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Troy is our best player. Get rid of him? Never. He will retire in the burgh

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

That said, it is not the Rooney's way to "blow up" anything. They are more about managed, controlled change.
    Very true statement. I know the Steelers will be competitive with BR, but we are up against the cap big time and it is going to remain flat going into next season. I think that is going to play a big part in all of this.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Polamalu could retire after this year. Football is not everything to him, don't expect him to keep hanging on like others. He is 31 and has bigger plans for his life than football.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Polamalu could retire after this year. Football is not everything to him, don't expect him to keep hanging on like others. He is 31 and has bigger plans for his life than football.
    Troy is signed through 2014...I think he signed only a 4 year extension with the intention that he would complete it...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Troy is signed through 2014...I think he signed only a 4 year extension with the intention that he would complete it...
    Likely was his intent, but Salary Cap and health may play a bigger factor than originally intended.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hampton and Foote are signed for this year only. They will be free agents after this season. Hampton just turned 35 earlier this month, and Foote turned 32 back in June. I don't expect either of them to be back after this contract.

Clark and Keisel are signed for this season and the following season. They will be free agents at the end of next season. Clark will turn 33 next month and Keisel will turn 34 next week. I don't expect either of them to be back after this contract is up. I don't think Clark's eventual replacement is currently on our roster (I think we draft a safety high next year in a solid draft for safety prospects), so I think he sticks around next year for one last year as a starter while his eventual replacement has a chance to learn the ropes. Keisel's eventual replacement is already here, but I think he hangs around next season because of the leadership he brings as a captain. And I think a rotation with Heyward this season keeps him fresh, so his body could last a little longer than it would if we were still counting on him for full-time snaps.

Troy and Deebo are signed for this season, next season, and the following season as well. They will be free agents at the end of the 2014 season. Troy turned 31 in April. He'll be 33 at the end of the 2014 season and 34 at the start of the 2015 season. Deebo turned 34 in April. He'll be 36 at the end of the 2014 season and 37 at the start of the 2015 season. I don't expect either of them to be back after this contract is up. These two are the marquee players on our defense. As long as lingering injuries or unexpected retirements don't intervene, I'd imagine the team would like to keep them on our roster as long as possible under their current contracts (even if they aren't their old dominant DMVP selves later in their careers). If Ray Lewis (currently 37) and Ed Reed (currently 34) can keep performing at their age, why couldn't Harrison and Polamalu do the same by the end of their contracts?
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 09-14-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Hampton and Foote are signed for this year only. They will be free agents after this season. Hampton just turned 35 earlier this month, and Foote turned 32 back in June. I don't expect either of them to be back after this contract.

Clark and Keisel are signed for this season and the following season. They will be free agents at the end of next season. Clark will turn 33 next month and Keisel will turn 34 next week. I don't expect either of them to be back after this contract is up. I don't think Clark's eventual replacement is currently on our roster (I think we draft a safety high next year in a solid draft for safety prospects), so I think he sticks around next year for one last year as a starter while his eventual replacement has a chance to learn the ropes. Keisel's eventual replacement is already here, but I think he hangs around next season because of the leadership he brings as a captain. And I think a rotation with Heyward this season keeps him fresh, so his body could last a little longer than it would if we were still counting on him for full-time snaps.

Troy and Deebo are signed for this season, next season, and the following season as well. They will be free agents at the end of the 2014 season. Troy turned 31 in April. He'll be 33 at the end of the 2014 season and 34 at the start of the 2015 season. Deebo turned 34 in April. He'll be 36 at the end of the 2014 season and 37 at the start of the 2015 season. I don't expect either of them to be back after this contract is up. These two are the marquee players on our defense. As long as lingering injuries or unexpected retirements don't intervene, I'd imagine the team would like to keep them on our roster as long as possible under their current contracts (even if they aren't their old dominant DMVP selves later in their careers). If Ray Lewis (currently 37) and Ed Reed (currently 34) can keep performing at their age, why couldn't Harrison and Polamalu do the same by the end of their contracts?
    At this point I think it's a HEALTH issue, not a performance issue.

Troy is 1 concussion away from calling it quits I believe
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    At this point I think it's a HEALTH issue, not a performance issue.

Troy is 1 concussion away from calling it quits I believe
    Think the Seau suicide this offseason has something to do with that?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.