Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Question: If this season goes seriously sideways, do the Rooney's blow it up?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    You know what they say about ASSumptions right? Butler is a different guy and would likely have his own opinion on how things should be defended.
    yet here we both are, throwing our assumptions around. We aren't so different, you and I.

Hall of Famer
    Just like the offense

I think a fresh face is the way to go

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I don't think Keith Butler is the answer if Lebeau goes...what would be any different, really?

This team needs new brains from the outside. Someone willing to focus on the pass rush and bring the heat with guys who can do it own their own without fancy schemes and blitzes.
    Maybe someone can confirm but If I am correct, Keith Butler played LB in a 4-3 defnse. Combine that with Tomlin's experience and the alignment just seems like a change could be a real possibility.

IMO LeBeau has illustrated, just like JoePa, how "legends" can hold an organization hostage and actually be a detriment to progress. Once they get the "legend" moniker they pretty much get to do what they want because of the negative attention it would cause forcing them out. I hope LeBeau does the classy thing and just leaves on his own after this season. That would be the best thank you he could give the Steelers.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Maybe someone can confirm but If I am correct, Keith Butler played LB in a 4-3 defnse. Combine that with Tomlin's experience and the alignment just seems like a change could be a real possibility.

IMO LeBeau has illustrated, just like JoePa, how "legends" can hold an organization hostage and actually be a detriment to progress. Once they get the "legend" moniker they pretty much get to do what they want because of the negative attention it would cause forcing them out. I hope LeBeau does the classy thing and just leaves on his own after this season. That would be the best thank you he could give the Steelers.
    Butler played in a 3-4 defense at Seattle...

In 1984, the Seahawks actually had one of the great defensive seasons in the NFL (look it up!) under defensive coordinator, Tom Catlin. Tom Catlin learned the 3-4 while playing for Coach Bud Wilkinson at Oklahoma University in the 50s...Wilkinson is widely credited as the originator of the 3-4 defense...

That being said, Butler has lots of experience in both defensive fronts...

The talk about LeBeau "holding the franchise hostage" is a ridiculous assertion...if the defenses had been terrible for his tenure, it might be a valid argument...but, they haven't been and it isn't...

If goig to three SBs and winning two is "being held hostage", then consider me as having Stockholm Syndrome!!

A real possibility only in your mind. Ziggy Hood played on 36 passing downs without a single QB pressure. You want to build a defense predicated on his ability to get pressure? McClendon has disappeared after his big preseason game. Keisel is getting up in years as is Hampton. Even if you move Woodley to DE, you still need to bring in a lot of DEs and NTs. Those guys take time to develop, are expensive, and are risky draft picks.

The defensive line has been a liability this year. I'd prefer to see less of them on the field, not more.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    A real possibility only in your mind. Ziggy Hood played on 36 passing downs without a single QB pressure. You want to build a defense predicated on his ability to get pressure? McClendon has disappeared after his big preseason game. Keisel is getting up in years as is Hampton. Even if you move Woodley to DE, you still need to bring in a lot of DEs and NTs. Those guys take time to develop, are expensive, and are risky draft picks.

The defensive line has been a liability this year. I'd prefer to see less of them on the field, not more.
    We shall see

Remember, in our scheme Hood is not suppose to pressure the passer. He is suppose to "occupy" the OL and then secondarily go after the passer. My point has always been what would we see if these guys were just turned loose. That is what makes for a discussion board. What I think and what you think.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

We shall see

Remember, in our scheme Hood is not suppose to pressure the passer. He is suppose to "occupy" the OL and then secondarily go after the passer. My point has always been what would we see if these guys were just turned loose. That is what makes for a discussion board. What I think and what you think.
    In neutral situations (first and ten) you want the DE to demand and fight-off a double team, and yes, this would occupy 2 blockers and allow the LBers to make plays. First and foremost, Ziggy can't do this. He was getting blown off the ball. On McFadden's short TD run, Ziggy was blown back into the endzone

In obvious passing situations, you want the DEs to get after the QB, and Ziggy Hood can't do it. He is a liability and is playing below the level that we were accustomed to seeing from Nick Eason. Even the thought of building a defense that features the DL makes me shudder at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

There may be some truth to the idea that Ziggy is playing out of position...

Even if this is the case, he isn't even playing as well as he did before...he was never Aaron Smith, but I don't recall him being pushed around like this previously...

Heck, Keisel is way off his game as well...

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Let me be clear. I am not giving up on this season. All these injuries to the elder Steelers just got me thinking a little.

If we struggle this year and end up with a losing season, do the Rooneys blow up the roster to recover cap space and go "young"?

Could we see the last of Troy, Harrison, Hampton, Clark, Foote, Keisel, and others this year? What do you think?
    Hampton, Foote, and Keisel? I sure hope so. Add Ike Taylor to it too. Replace them with Manti Te'o, Alameda Ta'amu, Cameron Heyward and Sam Shields (free agent CB Packers) and I think this defense becomes dominate again. But I know...it will never happen.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Hampton, Foote, and Keisel? I sure hope so. Add Ike Taylor to it too. Replace them with Manti Te'o, Alameda Ta'amu, Cameron Heyward and Sam Shields (free agent CB Packers) and I think this defense becomes dominate again. But I know...it will never happen.
    Dub, I always enjoy seeing your perspective on player evaluations, but I just don't see Ike Taylor as a problem on the defense. Aside from Demaryus Thomas, he is still pretty good against the rest of the league.