Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67

Thread: Serious Question: If this season goes seriously sideways, do the Rooney's blow it up?

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,766
    I don't think they will blow things up, but you may be seeing the end of the LeBeau regime... (which should make some of you happy)

  2. #22
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,127
    blowing things up would mean starting over. seems like the organisation never blows things up. thye find ways to retool to remain competitive.

  3. #23
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    I keep reading that blowing things up isn't the Steelers style, but neither is signing players over 30 to new contracts. We used to have the ability to draft & groom young players to take over when a veterans contract was up. Under Tomlin we have had to re-sign Clark, Ike, Casey due to having nobody ready.

    We signed Harrison to a new deal because he was coming off defensive player of the year honors. Tough to let that go but still not the Rooney way.

    Then to top it off we had to bring back Foote because of having no ILB groomed. When was the last time you saw us bring someone back after they left to chase the money. We also did the same with McFadden who sucked.

  4. #24
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Let me be clear. I am not giving up on this season. All these injuries to the elder Steelers just got me thinking a little.

    If we struggle this year and end up with a losing season, do the Rooneys blow up the roster to recover cap space and go "young"?

    Could we see the last of Troy, Harrison, Hampton, Clark, Foote, Keisel, and others this year? What do you think?
    I am beginning to think more and more that this is going to be a huge change in the off-season for this team. With the flat cap and lots of money tied up in under performing contracts, I see big changes coming. I.e....

    Lebeau gone, serious cap cuts, etc..

    What say you?

  5. #25
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I keep reading that blowing things up isn't the Steelers style, but neither is signing players over 30 to new contracts. We used to have the ability to draft & groom young players to take over when a veterans contract was up. Under Tomlin we have had to re-sign Clark, Ike, Casey due to having nobody ready.

    We signed Harrison to a new deal because he was coming off defensive player of the year honors. Tough to let that go but still not the Rooney way.

    Then to top it off we had to bring back Foote because of having no ILB groomed. When was the last time you saw us bring someone back after they left to chase the money. We also did the same with McFadden who sucked.
    I think it is time to make a clean break from the last decade and and set us up for the remainder of this decade. We have some good pieces in place, especially on offense, but we have to get the cap right and give ourselves flexibility.

    As I see it:

    Likely gone: Hampton, Foote, Will Allen, and Harrison. IMO Harrison has to go unless he has a sensational season coming back from this knee injury. If he stays it will have to be at a reduced rate.

    Possibly gone: Kiesel, Colon, Mendenhall, Keenan Lewis

    Probably should be gone but no replacement so will likely stay: Ryan Clark, Max Starks, Ike Taylor

    Get rid of half of the players listed and maybe we can resign Wallace )if he returns to the Land of the Reasonable), keep Sanders and extend Pouncey.

    The real quandry is with Troy P. Will he want to keep playing? Can he still be the special player he was before? We are essentially screwed at Safety so we have to hope both Polamalu and Clark have one more great season in them.

    That gets us to coaches: Anyone still think that LeBeau should have the freedom to stay as long as he wants? We need a leadership change on defense. It did wonders on offense so far this season.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

    2014 Draft

    1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

  6. #26
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think it is time to make a clean break from the last decade and and set us up for the remainder of this decade. We have some good pieces in place, especially on offense, but we have to get the cap right and give ourselves flexibility.

    As I see it:

    Likely gone: Hampton, Foote, Will Allen, and Harrison. IMO Harrison has to go unless he has a sensational season coming back from this knee injury. If he stays it will have to be at a reduced rate.

    Possibly gone: Kiesel, Colon, Mendenhall, Keenan Lewis

    Probably should be gone but no replacement so will likely stay: Ryan Clark, Max Starks, Ike Taylor

    Get rid of half of the players listed and maybe we can resign Wallace )if he returns to the Land of the Reasonable), keep Sanders and extend Pouncey.

    The real quandry is with Troy P. Will he want to keep playing? Can he still be the special player he was before? We are essentially screwed at Safety so we have to hope both Polamalu and Clark have one more great season in them.

    That gets us to coaches: Anyone still think that LeBeau should have the freedom to stay as long as he wants? We need a leadership change on defense. It did wonders on offense so far this season.
    I agree with your assessment of players and I would add that I think Troy could possibly hang it up after this year.

  7. #27
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,232
    I don't think Keith Butler is the answer if Lebeau goes...what would be any different, really?


    This team needs new brains from the outside. Someone willing to focus on the pass rush and bring the heat with guys who can do it own their own without fancy schemes and blitzes.

  8. #28
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I don't think Keith Butler is the answer if Lebeau goes...what would be any different, really?


    This team needs new brains from the outside. Someone willing to focus on the pass rush and bring the heat with guys who can do it own their own without fancy schemes and blitzes.
    What makes you think he's just a Lebeau clone? Was Rex Ryan the same guy as Mike Nolan when he took over? Nope. There's a reason why everyone and their momma has been trying to hire Butler away from Pittsburgh.

  9. #29
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    What makes you think he's just a Lebeau clone? Was Rex Ryan the same guy as Mike Nolan when he took over? Nope. There's a reason why everyone and their momma has been trying to hire Butler away from Pittsburgh.
    I figure that has a lot to do with him being Lebeau's #2 man, and how successful the Steelers D has been over the years.

    It would seem that the odds are better that he is more like Lebeau than he is different from him.

  10. #30
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    You know what they say about ASSumptions right? Butler is a different guy and would likely have his own opinion on how things should be defended.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •