Thread: Inactive Rule.....

Inactive Rule.....

With the NFL preaching about "safety" etc....why do they have an "inactive" rule??

It just doesn't make sense to me...am I missing something???

Why not at least do it like baseball. Have your inactive's suited, but if a player leaves the game he can be replaced by someone off the bench...well in this matter the inactive would backup the replacement. Is there an official explanation for this rule???
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    With the NFL preaching about "safety" etc....why do they have an "inactive" rule??

It just doesn't make sense to me...am I missing something???

Why not at least do it like baseball. Have your inactive's suited, but if a player leaves the game he can be replaced by someone off the bench...well in this matter the inactive would backup the replacement. Is there an official explanation for this rule???
    I think it is a competitive balance thing knowing that the good teams like the Steelers have deeper rosters and would have an advanatage by having all those players available especially for specialty roles. I do agree with you though that I think it is really stupid. If you are on the team you are on the team. I never understood the 45 only for gameday.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Yeah, it's a competitive balance thing. Both teams have 53 players, but if one roster has all 53 guys healthy and ready to go, while the other team has 7 guys nursing injuries and not able to play, having one team able to substitute in 53 different guys in the game, while the other team is limited to just 46 guys wouldn't be fair. So they limit everyone to 46 to make it somewhat more even (at least it's a little better than the old 45 active and 1 emergency 3rd QB rule).

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Yeah, it's a competitive balance thing. Both teams have 53 players, but if one roster has all 53 guys healthy and ready to go, while the other team has 7 guys nursing injuries and not able to play, having one team able to substitute in 53 different guys in the game, while the other team is limited to just 46 guys wouldn't be fair. So they limit everyone to 46 to make it somewhat more even (at least it's a little better than the old 45 active and 1 emergency 3rd QB rule).
    That's still silly. Why not have a DL list like baseball and call up Practice Squad players to fill out ur roster when guys are injured??

Opening night we suited 7 OLineman and 2 got hurt. Not Cool.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!