Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Personnel: Cowher Superior

Backup

User Info Menu

Not trying to start an avalanche here but Cowher was a better leader IMO. His print was all over the defense, to his credit, and the offense probably to a fault.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    You single out Chris Carter to say he did a good job? You must be joshing. He was invisible. Worilds looked very good on the one sack that he made. I still think he has elite pass-rush abilities if only he could get healthy and stay on the field. But a bad wrist is a big problem for a football player. Hood has worked too hard in the off-season to not show something more this year. I will be surprised if the dline does not play better in the ensuing weeks. I'm ready to jump off the Timmons bandwagon. He plays like he is trying to not get hurt. He has to be more of a leader.
    As much as I'd hate to admit it, I watched a 37 y/o Ray Lewis play a better game Monday night than Timmons has ever had in his career.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    When Larry Foote turns in your best defensive performance (though Troy also had an impact not seen on the stat sheet), you know there is an issue.

I think a lot of the problems start with the defensive line. Smith-Hampton=Kimo/Keisel were disruptive. They commanded the line of scrimmage. You either double teamed them or they destroyed plays.

Casey is not as explosive as he used to be, but still can at least hold his ground. I didn't see Ziggy or Heyward really step up and dominate in week 1, nor McClendon. If the defensive line is getting blown off the ball, the scheme doesn't matter. The results will not be good.
    Kimo - 6th round pick
    Aaron Smith - 4th round pick
    Brett Keisel - 7th round pick

Ziggy - 1st round pick
    Heyward - 1st round pick

See the problem? Where is the production in our 1st rounders on defense? Add Timmons to that list too. It's not like we aren't drafting defensive players in the 1st. We simply aren't seeing 1st round production from our 1st round picks. That's a MAJOR problem.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RKSteel View Post
    Godell wants touchdown passers. He does not want JH pile driving QBs into the ground. If he wasn't held on every freaking play, he'd have 50 sacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Kimo - 6th round pick

Ziggy - 1st round pick
    Heyward - 1st round pick

See the problem? Where is the production in our 1st rounders on defense? Add Timmons to that list too. It's not like we aren't draft defensive players in the 1st. We simply aren't seeing 1st round production from our players. That's a MAJOR problem.
    Agree with that....It isnt the round, its having an eye for talent and apparently Cowher was the one with that eye.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Backup

User Info Menu

It was one game vs argueably the best quarterback in NFL history. I watched this D all preseason and they were breaking on the ball creating turnovers etc. Its hard to do that vs a Qb that decides where to throw the ball pre snap. Sanchez is no Manning. The defense will come up huge (NEW SCHOOL PLAYING A ROLE). Remember this post.

Backup

User Info Menu

Cowher didnt draft. IF he did we wouldnt have Ben Roethlisberger (he was totally against drafting Ben). A little Perspective

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    Cowher didnt draft. IF he did we wouldnt have Ben Roethlisberger (he was totally against drafting Ben). A little Perspective
    that's correct, Cowher wanted to draft Shawn Andrews instead...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Kimo - 6th round pick

Ziggy - 1st round pick
    Heyward - 1st round pick

See the problem? Where is the production in our 1st rounders on defense? Add Timmons to that list too. It's not like we aren't drafting defensive players in the 1st. We simply aren't seeing 1st round production from our 1st round picks. That's a MAJOR problem.

The problem is what those first rounders are being asked to do. Hold up and impede the OL. Same thing that Smith and Kiesel were asked to do. If you want more from Hood and Heyward, play a defense that turns then loose and allows them to play an attacking style versus being a speedbump slowing down the OL. Put Hood and Heyward on the Giants DL and watch how they are making impacts every game.

The MAJOR problem is what LeBeau is having talented, athletic players do to fit his defense that he will never change.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The problem is what those first rounders are being asked to do. Hold up and impede the OL. Same thing that Smith and Kiesel were asked to do. If you want more from Hood and Heyward, play a defense that turns then loose and allows them to play an attacking style versus being a speedbump slowing down the OL. Put Hood and Heyward on the Giants DL and watch how they are making impacts every game.

The MAJOR problem is what LeBeau is having talented, athletic players do to fit his defense that he will never change.
    This is a fallacy. These guys are asked to do more than impede the offensive line. Aaron Smith was unblockable one-on-one. He wasn't asked to hold up blockers; he was asked to destroy plays. And if you didn't double team him, he did. Too often, Ziggy gets blown off the ball. The idea of "occupying blockers" is to play in such a manner that you can't be blocked or moved one-on-one. These guys aren't winning individual matchups, let alone commanding double teams.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    But that is how things are so what are other teams doing to adjust that we aren't? lamenting how things have changed won't help us win.
    They have defensive cooridinaters that can adjust and gameplan for these passing offenses.