Not trying to start an avalanche here but Cowher was a better leader IMO. His print was all over the defense, to his credit, and the offense probably to a fault.
Aaron Smith - 4th round pick
Brett Keisel - 7th round pick
Ziggy - 1st round pick
Heyward - 1st round pick
See the problem? Where is the production in our 1st rounders on defense? Add Timmons to that list too. It's not like we aren't drafting defensive players in the 1st. We simply aren't seeing 1st round production from our 1st round picks. That's a MAJOR problem.
1. T.J Watt, OLB/DE, Wisconsin
2. Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut
3. Damontae Kazee, CB, San Diego State
4. Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas
5. Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M
6. Barry Sanders, RB, Oklahoma State (How can you go wrong with that name, however the sample size is so small that his dad may be better even in his 50's)
7. Alec Torgersen, QB, Pennsylvania
It was one game vs argueably the best quarterback in NFL history. I watched this D all preseason and they were breaking on the ball creating turnovers etc. Its hard to do that vs a Qb that decides where to throw the ball pre snap. Sanchez is no Manning. The defense will come up huge (NEW SCHOOL PLAYING A ROLE). Remember this post.
Cowher didnt draft. IF he did we wouldnt have Ben Roethlisberger (he was totally against drafting Ben). A little Perspective
The problem is what those first rounders are being asked to do. Hold up and impede the OL. Same thing that Smith and Kiesel were asked to do. If you want more from Hood and Heyward, play a defense that turns then loose and allows them to play an attacking style versus being a speedbump slowing down the OL. Put Hood and Heyward on the Giants DL and watch how they are making impacts every game.
The MAJOR problem is what LeBeau is having talented, athletic players do to fit his defense that he will never change.
- Charles Harris-OLB, Missouri
- Rasul Douglas-CB, West Virginia
- Chris Godwin-WR, Penn State
- John Johnson-S, Boston College
- James Conner-RB, Pitt
- Nazair Jones-DT, North Carolina
- Garrett Sickels, DE/OLB, Penn State