Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Personnel: Cowher Superior

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    In its complexity our defense is simple, the way we stop the pass is to be very disruptive. If we dont get to the passer we still need to do other things to ensure the play breaks down. The rule changes from Godell may be playing a part too, but our D is not getting to the passer, we're not making our presence known as a team or individually. Now, whether thats a result of poor drafting, poor coaching, or a combination, I dont know.
    Godell wants touchdown passers. He does not want JH pile driving QBs into the ground. If he wasn't held on every freaking play, he'd have 50 sacks.

I wonder if some of these rule changes are a part of why Cowher doesn't seem to be interested in coming back? Many thought that he'd be out a few years and get "the itch" again after his daughters graduated. Perhaps he looks at the current NFL landscape and sees that things have changed enough that his way doesn't work so much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by RKSteel View Post
    Godell wants touchdown passers. He does not want JH pile driving QBs into the ground. If he wasn't held on every freaking play, he'd have 50 sacks.
    If you think that the rule changes and Goodell's desire for high octane passing games isn't affecting the game, consider this:

Last year alone, the NFL had three 5,000+ yard passers...prior to last year, there were only two in the history of the NFL...Brees in 2008 and Marino in 1984...

And Eli Manning came within 70 yards of being a fourth 5,000+ yard passer last year...

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I wonder if some of these rule changes are a part of why Cowher doesn't seem to be interested in coming back? Many thought that he'd be out a few years and get "the itch" again after his daughters graduated. Perhaps he looks at the current NFL landscape and sees that things have changed enough that his way doesn't work so much anymore.
    It could also be that he doesn't want to go back to the grind of coaching. He probably makes a 7 figure salary and has a pretty easy life. Why trade that for the life of a coach, which must be pretty rough?

Legend
    In its complexity our defense is simple, the way we stop the pass is to be very disruptive. If we dont get to the passer we still need to do other things to ensure the play breaks down. The rule changes from Godell may be playing a part too, but our D is not getting to the passer, we're not making our presence known as a team or individually. Now, whether thats a result of poor drafting, poor coaching, or a combination, I dont know.
    Agree with all you said and that being said why aren't we adjusting to the changes in strategy and rules? I don't think our players aren't talented, if anything across the board they are more athletic than the players they have replaced.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RKSteel View Post
    But that is how things are so what are other teams doing to adjust that we aren't? lamenting how things have changed won't help us win.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    It could also be that he doesn't want to go back to the grind of coaching. He probably makes a 7 figure salary and has a pretty easy life. Why trade that for the life of a coach, which must be pretty rough?

I stay right in the studio if I was hime. Guy probably has $20M in the bank and like you said makes very high six- or low seven-figures for watching film and talking. He probably can pick up some nice change making appearances and speaking too. None of that required 18-20 hour days at the office.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Agree with all you said and that being said why aren't we adjusting to the changes in strategy and rules? I don't think our players aren't talented, if anything across the board they are more athletic than the players they have replaced.
    I think a lot of it has to do with the reads our LB's have to make. Sometimes they have the option to rush the passer or play coverge (mostly OLB). However, its not a coin flip, they have to make reads and be correct in doing so. Being football smart goes a long way in LeBeau's D.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Yeah, that's all true. Many times a fierce competitor will have a drive to compete no matter the obstacles. Perhaps Bill just got it all out of his system.

We definitely do not have any young talent blowing it up. Chris Carter did a decent job, but he doesnt look like a guy ready to blow it up. We wont know about Spence until next year. Adrian Robinson seems like he may be a very good pass rusher, but if he cant learn the other aspects of the D, we may never see him on the field. Our CB's are also looking very suspect. Lewis looked way behind in Denver. Even worse than Willie Gay. I hope we look better against the Jets
    You single out Chris Carter to say he did a good job? You must be joshing. He was invisible. Worilds looked very good on the one sack that he made. I still think he has elite pass-rush abilities if only he could get healthy and stay on the field. But a bad wrist is a big problem for a football player. Hood has worked too hard in the off-season to not show something more this year. I will be surprised if the dline does not play better in the ensuing weeks. I'm ready to jump off the Timmons bandwagon. He plays like he is trying to not get hurt. He has to be more of a leader.