Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We need better corners.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Lebeau is more aggressive with the DBs at times. Ironically, last year against Denver the D would have been better served with the traditional approach (play off, avoid big plays) than with the approach that was used.

The run defense is also an issue. If the Steelers can't stop the run without Troy in the box, there is less safety help available and more risk to press man coverage.
    Yeah, good point about the run defense as well. They looked a hot mess out there. I was watching the replay of the game thinking to myself, the defense looks like they have on magnetic jerseys. Whenever they weren't getting tossed around, they were being gobbled by Denver's O-line. This defense has taken a step back. That's the reason the conservative offensive approach they took to the game was a bad idea. This defense is gonna need a lot of support from the O this year, and run, run, pass, and 14 play drives that end in fgs is not gonna cut it. That is a recipe for disaster. This offense has enough firepower if used properly to make life a little easier on the defense. And I'm not just talking TOP, I'm talking about points, as in TDs! This defense is gonna need all the help it can get.

Rockon

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yes, we should have 4 all pro starting DBs...like everyone else.

pffft

Understand the league dynamics. We will always have some weaknesses. And hopefully the coaching to minimize it.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Yes, we should have 4 all pro starting DBs...like everyone else.

pffft

Understand the league dynamics. We will always have some weaknesses. And hopefully the coaching to minimize it.
    Witty sarcasm notwithstanding, if you can't see that this team needs better play from the CBs, then I'm not sure what to tell ya. Don't need 4 all pros, just gimme some guys that can make a play on a ball every now and then, instead of playing chase and tackle all the damn time.

Rockon

Legend

User Info Menu

we need secondary players that are better at playing the ball

how INTS were there tonight?? 7? whens the last time we had more then 1 in a game

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Getting Pressure goes hand in hand with "good DBs"
    You're only hope in this league is relentless pressure or at least the impression thereof.

I guess the only thing that irks me is seeing a FA guy like Tracy Porter make a splash for his new team the other night. We have 1 FA starter on our team (Ryan Clark)....I get building thru the draft and all but getting a guy here and there who can make an impact would be nice (James Farrior anyone?).
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

It wasn't a great day for the DBs, but Ike Taylor is fine against pretty much everybody except for the Broncos. Cortez Allen didn't have his best day, either, but I think he'll also be fine.

Lewis I think will be average. I'm not expecting big things from him, but I don't think he'll be a liability, either.
    Going back several years, IIRC it was a game against the Broncos that once lost Ike his starting job back in the Cowher days. Again, IIRC, didn't Javon Walker light him up for a monster day?

Starter

User Info Menu

It wasn't a great day for the DBs, but Ike Taylor is fine against pretty much everybody except for the Broncos. Cortez Allen didn't have his best day, either, but I think he'll also be fine.

Lewis I think will be average. I'm not expecting big things from him, but I don't think he'll be a liability, either.
    idk! he looks like he is going to get a lot of penalties. He's touching and grabbing a lot and its mostly unnecessary. He's been here long enough to start looking for the ball more. idk but if he doesn't work out there do not seem to be any other options so I am rooting for him. My guess! C. Allen Horton, Victorious, SE, AE [somebody else, anybody else] will be playing cb soon. Really hope not though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by devils View Post
    We have to get a free agent corner next year and also draft one early next year. These guys were a joke sunday night, and denver wr's are no studs.
    Here we go again. Seems we heard this cry a few years back and guess what, the Steelers solved the problem. The answer is better pass rush aka Harrison and Woodley! When they are on the field together, the secondary is not a problem. The real problem is finding Harrison's replacement and figuring out how to get Woodley to game speed before half the season is over.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rockonsteel View Post
    Our DB's are never within 5 yds of receivers when they catch the ball. They allow so much seperation it's ridiculous. They NEVER break on balls. Only INTs they get is when a QB makes a major mistake and throws it right to somebody or it's deflected by a LB. And I get so tired of watching our guys getting spun around like a spinning top and then chasing the route. I watch other teams' DBs breaking on passes all game, resulting in mmultiple INTs and PBUs. I dont think it's too much to ask for DBs that actually make plays on the ball occassionally. Apparently, though, around these parts, maybe it is.

I too would like to believe, "our DBs will be just fine." But until they start to actually make some plays on balls in the air, they are below average at best.

Rockon
    You think this isn't a league wide issue? Prior to last year only two guys had passed for over 5k yds. Last year four did it, and Eli was really close. It's the rules not the players.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Lebeau is more aggressive with the DBs at times. Ironically, last year against Denver the D would have been better served with the traditional approach (play off, avoid big plays) than with the approach that was used.

The run defense is also an issue. If the Steelers can't stop the run without Troy in the box, there is less safety help available and more risk to press man coverage.
    We started off playing our normal scheme. Once Casey and keisel got hurt we had to change. Thin air and no substitutions? Donks woulda just ran down our throat if we played off. No one could have guessed that tebow woulda taken it to us through the air