Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We need better corners.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    We may as well get used to it; it's what the Commish believes we want to see on Sundays. It really doesn't make sense to blow a wad on CBs. The rules don't favor it. It probably makes more sense to upgrade offense and just outscore the other guy by a bunch.
    Attendance, viewership, revenues and popularity are higher than ever so I think the Commish is providing exactly what the broad population wants. Why would the league ever consider changing anything. The days of the Steel Curtain are gone forever and will never come back because the younger fans raised on Madden want action and high scoring not low scoring trench fighting.

Many of us Steelers fans just need to realize that the notion of "Steelers Football" is long dead and won't rise from the dead...Adapt or die.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rockonsteel View Post
    Our DB's are never within 5 yds of receivers when they catch the ball. They allow so much seperation it's ridiculous. They NEVER break on balls. Only INTs they get is when a QB makes a major mistake and throws it right to somebody or it's deflected by a LB. And I get so tired of watching our guys getting spun around like a spinning top and then chasing the route. I watch other teams' DBs breaking on passes all game, resulting in mmultiple INTs and PBUs. I dont think it's too much to ask for DBs that actually make plays on the ball occassionally. Apparently, though, around these parts, maybe it is.

I too would like to believe, "our DBs will be just fine." But until they start to actually make some plays on balls in the air, they are below average at best.

Rockon
    It's not a coincidence that our INTs are way down. If you aren't near the ball you can't intercept the ball. Keep in mind we have drafted Cornerbacks who are best suited for zone schemes and helping in stopping the run. Unfortunately, with the proliferation of passing stopping the run is a less critical skillset as opposed to being able to play tight press coverage. The results shouldn't surprise anyone. Our ace in the hole has always been our pass rush which forced QBs to throw before they wanted to, but that is a non factor anymore.

The reality is that with the rules even DBs who are much better at man to man coverage than our DBs struggle to cover WRs.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It's not a coincidence that our INTs are way down. If you aren't near the ball you can't intercept the ball. Keep in mind we have drafted Cornerbacks who are best suited for zone schemes and helping in stopping the run. Unfortunately, with the proliferation of passing stopping the run is a less critical skillset as opposed to being able to play tight press coverage. The results shouldn't surprise anyone. Our ace in the hole has always been our pass rush which forced QBs to throw before they wanted to, but that is a non factor anymore.

The reality is that with the rules even DBs who are much better at man to man coverage than our DBs struggle to cover WRs.
    No doubt. What you point out is all true, but we need playmakers in the secondary, period. We need a playmaking FS, with range to get to balls in the air, and at least one playmaking CB, though two would be better. I'm sick of watching teams play pitch and catch against our secondary, and never have to even worry about the threat of having passes intercepted.

When was the last time the Steelers defense made a big play to seal the game the way Tracy Porter did on Sunday Night for Denver? Deshea Townsend in '08 against Dallas. Troy against the Ravens in the playoffs, IIRC, the same year? Did they have any at all last year? I honestly can't remember. I mean teams get 2 and 3 pick 6's in a game sometimes. The Steelers are lucky if they get 1 or 2 in a season. That's not really a good look.

Rockon

Legend

User Info Menu

No doubt. What you point out is all true, but we need playmakers in the secondary, period. We need a playmaking FS, with range to get to balls in the air, and at least one playmaking CB, though two would be better. I'm sick of watching teams play pitch and catch against our secondary, and never have to even worry about the threat of having passes intercepted.

When was the last time the Steelers defense made a big play to seal the game the way Tracy Porter did on Sunday Night for Denver? Deshea Townsend in '08 against Dallas. Troy against the Ravens in the playoffs, IIRC, the same year? Did they have any at all last year? I honestly can't remember. I mean teams get 2 and 3 pick 6's in a game sometimes. The Steelers are lucky if they get 1 or 2 in a season. That's not really a good look.

Rockon

We are singing the same song. I absolutely think we need a different type of DB but that won't help us this season and I'm not sure we get that type of player as long as the current D Corrd is calling the shots. LeBeau like DBs who are effective coming up and stopping the run. That is why Ryan Clark plays such a key role on this team. It is also Troy's strength. If you want a DB who excells at stopping the pass then we are going to have to draft those guys and that will take time.

That said about the DBs, don't underestimate the importance of the pass rush. We had the fewest sacks we had in 21 years last year. If we don't fix that first then it won't matter who is playing DB. It all starts with the pass rush in today's NFL. It's no secret that the Giants won the last Super Bowl because they continually pressure the QB and make the QB less effective.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Our CBs are capable of playing press coverage...that type of defense was not called on Sunday...

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike Taylor is still one of the best in the game, and Lewis will be just fine against a non HoF QB. I agree we need to take some more risks...in press coverage. We have big physical DBs...we need to use em as such.
    Trolls are people too.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Our DB's are never within 5 yds of receivers when they catch the ball. They allow so much seperation it's ridiculous. They NEVER break on balls. Only INTs they get is when a QB makes a major mistake and throws it right to somebody or it's deflected by a LB. And I get so tired of watching our guys getting spun around like a spinning top and then chasing the route. I watch other teams' DBs breaking on passes all game, resulting in mmultiple INTs and PBUs. I dont think it's too much to ask for DBs that actually make plays on the ball occassionally. Apparently, though, around these parts, maybe it is.

I too would like to believe, "our DBs will be just fine." But until they start to actually make some plays on balls in the air, they are below average at best.

Rockon
    I agree but I also think it has a lot to do with our 'Bend, don't break' defense. A lot of these guys play man-to-man in college so I think it's has more to do with our weak zone coverage. That style of defense won't work consistently against the likes of Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, Brady and probably Eli. They will find the open receiver and they will make accurate throws. It seems like for years our secondary has relied on QBs throwing a bad pass, making wrong decisions, or a superior pass rush. That "bend but don't break zone coverage" works for the majority of the QBs in the league because we'll force them to make those bad throws. The elite QBs are a different story. They'll tear us up in the passing game and history proves that.

The only exception in recent memory was last year against the Pats. We played a bump and run, man coverage that day and Brady struggled especialy in the 1st half. For YEARS, Brady torched us because of our coverage scheme. He'll tear us up 5 to 10 yards at a time if we give their WRs a cushion and play the "bend but don't break zone". Brees, Bardy, Manning(s), Rodgers will do the same.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We are singing the same song. I absolutely think we need a different type of DB but that won't help us this season and I'm not sure we get that type of player as long as the current D Corrd is calling the shots. LeBeau like DBs who are effective coming up and stopping the run. That is why Ryan Clark plays such a key role on this team. It is also Troy's strength. If you want a DB who excells at stopping the pass then we are going to have to draft those guys and that will take time.

That said about the DBs, don't underestimate the importance of the pass rush. We had the fewest sacks we had in 21 years last year. If we don't fix that first then it won't matter who is playing DB. It all starts with the pass rush in today's NFL. It's no secret that the Giants won the last Super Bowl because they continually pressure the QB and make the QB less effective.
    Not much to argue with there. You're right, we are singing the same song. Any way we can get it onto DL's Ipod? It's just so frustrating watching the secondary play passive catch and tackle all the time. QBs throw the ball all over the lot against the Steelers with abandon, and without fear of retribution from the Steelers in terms of taking the ball away. And yes, the weak pass rush they've demonstrated over the last year, is just as much to blame as the DBs.

Rockon

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I agree but I also think it has a lot to do with our 'Bend, don't break' defense. A lot of these guys play man-to-man in college so I think it's has more to do with our weak zone coverage. That style of defense won't work consistently against the likes of Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, Brady and probably Eli. They will find the open receiver and they will make accurate throws. It seems like for years our secondary has relied on QBs throwing a bad pass, making wrong decisions, or a superior pass rush. That "bend but don't break zone coverage" works for the majority of the QBs in the league because we'll force them to make those bad throws. The elite QBs are a different story. They'll tear us up in the passing game and history proves that.

The only exception in recent memory was last year against the Pats. We played a bump and run, man coverage that day and Brady struggled especialy in the 1st half. For YEARS, Brady torched us because of our coverage scheme. He'll tear us up 5 to 10 yards at a time if we give their WRs a cushion and play the "bend but don't break zone". Brees, Bardy, Manning(s), Rodgers will do the same.

Yeah, would love to see LeBeau go with a more aggressive approach with secondary. But, guess it's just not DL's MO.

They must've done so well against NE, that maybe LeBeau didn't wanna give them a chance to have a bad game using it. Like a moment frozen in time.

Rockon

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, would love to see LeBeau go with a more aggressive approach with secondary. But, guess it's just not DL's MO.

They must've done so well against NE, that maybe LeBeau didn't wanna give them a chance to have a bad game using it. Like a moment frozen in time.

Rockon
    Lebeau is more aggressive with the DBs at times. Ironically, last year against Denver the D would have been better served with the traditional approach (play off, avoid big plays) than with the approach that was used.

The run defense is also an issue. If the Steelers can't stop the run without Troy in the box, there is less safety help available and more risk to press man coverage.