Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 9.11.12

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    He has the ability to pick the ones he answers doesn't he? So if he answers a stupid question he is stupid for picking it.
    I don't know that he does...

It isn't as though the questions are e-mailed in advance...it's a chat...

Bouchette has an allotted time period for a chat and has to field the questions as they come in, IIRC...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I don't know that he does...

It isn't as though the questions are e-mailed in advance...it's a chat...

Bouchette has an allotted time period for a chat and has to field the questions as they come in, IIRC...
    It doesn't change the fact that he is smug and has little to tell us about the Steelers. Ed has been mailing it in for years. Even his articles are usually poor.

Further, maybe the questions are poor because most intelligent people don't bother sending Ed questions since he provides such a bad product.

If you want to read a real journalist do a chat, try Dejan Kovacevic. Sometimes he is short with stupid questions, but generally he tries to provide as much insight and thoughtful opinion as he can. I enjoy his chat. Ed's are a joke.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    It doesn't change the fact that he is smug and has little to tell us about the Steelers. Ed has been mailing it in for years. Even his articles are usually poor.

Further, maybe the questions are poor because most intelligent people don't bother sending Ed questions since he provides such a bad product.

If you want to read a real journalist do a chat, try Dejan Kovacevic. Sometimes he is short with stupid questions, but generally he tries to provide as much insight and thoughtful opinion as he can. I enjoy his chat. Ed's are a joke.
    I agree about Dejan. Much more professional in his responses and much more informed.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post

I've read chats from both and I personally don't see much of a difference between the two...

Good questions receive good answers and dumb questions receive dumb answers...

But, that's just me...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He has the ability to pick the ones he answers doesn't he? So if he answers a stupid question he is stupid for picking it.
    I don't think that's the way it works in chat. You just get what comes at you. Many of the questions were stupid, so they were answered in-kind.

Legend

User Info Menu

Because his bosses thell him he has to in order to pimp the Post Gazette. He has made it clear in the past he doesn't like doing these chats. If he worked for me I'd ream his a$$ for the way he treats my company's potential customers.
    Yup. He's on the clock, gotta act that way. Just like the Rooneys expect their players to keep their noses clean as long as they are under contract to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Ed: No Interceptions Again for Steelers

WEDNESDAY, 12 SEPTEMBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Nothing big, just some small stuff:

--- Larry Foote had an even better game tackling than the gameday stats gave him credit for Sunday night. The coaches review video of the game and keep their own statistics, which the Steelers then use as their quasi-official defensive stats year to year. Those keeping stats in Denver gave him eight tackles. Steelers coaches gave him 12 – 10 solos tackles and two assists. However, the coaches gavfe him one quarterback pressure and not two as they did in Denver. Although many of us thought Foote forced the fumble that LaMarr Woodley recovered, neither the pressbox stats nor the coaches did; the coaches awarded it merely as a team forced fumble.

--- Once again, the Steelers came out of a game without an interception. They did have one turnover, which puts them on an early pace for 16. Last year, they had a franchise-low 15 turnovers, 11 interceptions. They had no interceptions in the playoff game. They now have one interception in their past five games -- they picked off Cleveland's Seneca Wallace in the regular season finale.

--- Rookie Chris Rainey should have a better opportunity to be the punt returner this week because the game is at home. Mike Tomlin has a history of slowly working in rookie return men. You might recall that in 2010, when a punt figured to land somewhere deep in Steelers territory, Antwaan Randle-El would be back there. Then-rookie Antonio Brown only got his shot when the punt figured to land somewhere outside the 30 or 40.

--- Onto your questions:

--- YOU: I have a relatively technical question on the officiating. In the Steelers’ first series against the Broncos, we had a holding penalty at the 16 yd line. The ref claimed it was a 10 yard penalty and marked us back to the 6 making it 3rd and 14. I thought it should have been half the distance to the goal making it 3rd and 12 from the 8. We missed the 1st down on the next play by less than a yard. If the refs had not made such a mistake, we would have maintained possession and maybe gained some momentum. I’m not saying that is why we lost, but I wanted to see if I missed something.
    ME: The scab refs were a bit confused in spotting the ball in Denver. That was one among many. It was a holding call on Heath Miller on a second down at the 14. The ball should have been put at the seven. Instead, they put it at the six. The Steelers benefittted somewhat later on their first scoring drive. On first down at the Denver eight, the Broncos defense was penalized for encroachment. Instead of putting it halfway, to the four, they marked off the full five yards and put it at the three. On another occasion, the scabs marked just four yards off on a five-yard penalty near midfield.
    Don’t expect any coach to complain about any of this, however.

--- YOU: The Steelers, Broncos and Ravens all ran a lot of no huddle this week. I know Flacco is not Peyton, but do you think LeBeau will have a better answer for the no huddle by the time we play the Ravens?
    ME: It’s not always the type of offense a team uses but the execution of it, or the defense. Running the no-huddle is not necessarily how you beat the Steelers defense. However, it will be interesting to see if more teams try it that way.

--- YOU: I wanted to ask an "old-school" question. As a kid I remember reading in an old Steelers' Digest something about Neil O'Donnell having a ridiculous bench press for a quarterback. I know it was well over 350 at Maryland. I am sure you were aware he was a work-out warrior but do did you ever hear a neighborhood his max bench press was in? I remember reading it was over 450.
    ME: No, I don’t recall any of it, probably because whatever a quarterback does in the weight room really doesn’t interest me. I don’t think it really matters much to those employing him either. Neil was a decent quarterback for a few seasons and one, I believe, who would have benefitted remaining with the Steelers. However, it would have been hard for anyone to turn down the ridiculous money the Jets gave him in 1996.

--- YOU: What was the story at outside linebacker against the Broncos? It looked like Carter got the start but then they went to Worilds? What was up with that; did Carter play that poorly, and if Worilds was fit to play why didn't he get the start in the first place? Also, you said you saw Worilds play well; what did you see? I didn't notice him do much of anything, except the one sack where nobody bothered to block him (even I could sack Manning if nobody blocked me (well, maybe)). But you probably saw more than I did, so what did I miss? Thanks!
    ME: Chris Carter has been practicing all summer and Jason Worilds started only last week. If Worilds were a veteran starter who missed all that time, he might have had a chance to start – as James Harrison would have had his knee not caused him trouble again last week. They also were rotating defensive linemen in and out of the game as well as wide receivers. Worilds had a couple tackles and a sack, and just looked more active in the game. I never said he played at an All-Pro level.

--- YOU: At the time, I took issue with going for two when up 19-14. Why? This isn't college. And it was way too early. You shouldn't go for two unless you HAVE to. I don't care about the "charts." Agree?
    ME: You have to take into account each situation. I did not have a problem with what Mike Tomlin did in that situation one way or the other. Now, if there were a 10-yard penalty that put it back to the 12 for the two-point try . . .

--- YOU: Is there any chance that Colon moves back to tackle if Mike Adams continues to struggle? Adams wasn't just bad on Sunday night; he was a complete disaster, and a serious threat to the health and safety of Mr. Rooney's $102 million investment. I realize the coaching staff has made certain promises to Colon, but wouldn't the line be better off with a lineup of Starks-Foster-Pouncey-Legursky-Colon until Castro gets back? Or does the coaching staff think Adams' problems are fixable in the short term?
    ME: Fortunately for all involved, Marcus Gilbert wasn’t seriously hurt and looks as though he will return to the lineup. I would not discount Colon playing tackle if the situation became dire.

[URL]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118014-ed-no-interceptions-again-for-steelers[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

ME: Fortunately for all involved, Marcus Gilbert wasn’t seriously hurt and looks as though he will return to the lineup. I would not discount Colon playing tackle if the situation became dire.

Unfortunately that would likely mean Legursky playing Guard which would take "dire" to disasterous. Foster and Legursky at Guard was the problem last year. Recreating it this year does not make things better.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Unfortunately that would likely mean Legursky playing Guard which would take "dire" to disasterous. Foster and Legursky at Guard was the problem last year. Recreating it this year does not make things better.
    Foster was not "the problem" last year. He played relatively well. He was one of our stronger run blockers and his pass protection was decent. He is not an all pro talent, but he is not a poor player either.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.