Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Manning Vs Ben

Sorry Ben habitually plays well inside the 20's. He has struggled his whole career (Wiz, Arians,) in the redzone. I could care less about 3rd downs. Manning is known for putting the ball in the end zone. Our Qb is not. All I hear every season is excuse after excuse as to why our qb doesnt play like the elite guys. He even loss to Tebow. Guess we will blame the defense for tha too. Did you see what Brady did to Tebow twice? He put so many points on the board that the "chosen one' couldnt keep up. Ben is not known for putting up a lot of points. We should consistently blow teams out. Why dont we? Inconsistent offense. Arians is gone, the line is revamped so whats the excuse now?

Ben had horrible seasons in 06 and 08. Last year he had turnovers in the 20's just like he did in 06 and 08. Why isnt our qb qetting better? That is my question. I could care less about what he does on third down. Last time I checked you dont get points for 3rd down conversions. We have been below average in the Roethlisberger era in the red zone. You blame the defense? The defense is the BIGGEST reason that Ben Roethlisberger is relevant.

Again, Is Ben this successful in Cleveland? I think we can all say. No.

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    Again, Is Ben this successful in Cleveland? I think we can all say. No.
    No one would be successful in Cleveland. Bad argument.

Tom Brady, Brees. Rodgers, Both Mannings would. So would Elway, Montana, Marino. You know the elite guys?

Brian Sipe, Kosar were.

Tom Brady, Brees. Rodgers, Both Mannings would. So would Elway, Montana, Marino. You know the elite guys?
    They would have gone the way of Tim Couch. My opinion is just as valid and supportable as yours...

Brian Sipe, Kosar were.
    Sipe + Kosar = 0 rings

Roethisberger = 2 rings

I'm interested in the idea of what would have happened had Ben somehow gone to Cleveland. Being an Ohio boy, I'm sure that would have been a popular move up there. My thinking is that Ben would have 0 rings playing for such an organization. I'm also thinking that the Steelers would still be stuck on four and memories of the 70's. Not a single one of those championships of the last few years happen without him. Of course, Cleveland would have benefited from having Ben torching Steelers secondaries regularly. IMO, the biggest beneficiaries would have been Baltimore and Cincinnati.

Of course, we can't know any of this but it's fun to ponder a bit.

I can't understand how so many fans so proudly boast Ben as a top five, elite QB who is as good as if not better than any other elite QB in the league and then persist to blame our loss on the defense because they couldn't hold Peyton Manning to 10 points. How come Ben is not held accountable for playing up to elite quarterback standards? I mean, when is the last time he's had a really GOOD game? The reason some of you get soooo mad at the defense is because you know if we have to depend on Ben outscoring other elite QB's, it ain't happening....

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    I can't understand how so many fans so proudly boast Ben as a top five, elite QB who is as good as if not better than any other elite QB in the league and then persist to blame our loss on the defense because they couldn't hold Peyton Manning to 10 points. How come Ben is not held accountable for playing up to elite quarterback standards? I mean, when is the last time he's had a really GOOD game? The reason some of you get soooo mad at the defense is because you know if we have to depend on Ben outscoring other elite QB's, it ain't happening....
    The defense allowed three 80 yard drives for points...

The offense left points on the field and Ben threw a pick 6 that ended any attempt at a come from behind win...

There is plenty of blame to go around...

Actually, had the Steelers not drafted Ben in 2004, they likely would have taken Steven Jackson from what I remember. That would have given them a great running game, but still lacking at QB. They would have finished much worse than they did that season, and they probably would have picked Aaron Rodgers in the 2005 draft as he went plummeting through the first round (I can make this assumption based on the fact that Ben was indeed drafted just a year before, so obviously the team was on the lookout for top QB talent). We then wouldn't have Heath Miller.