Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't there a no-huddle defense?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    There are alot of defeses that don't huddle, the problem is our scheme and personnel make it so our fat boy needs a break when he gets stuck in during the no huddle O, and I really don't think anyone on our D is that well conditioned to begin with.
    I agree with the conditioning for sure!! The past couple seasons the D couldn't get stops, especially late in the season. Now, it's the first game! But people always argue these are world class athletes and conditioning is not an issue. Horse piddle! It so is an issue with these guys. Not to mention they played at 5000 feet! Troy was at the oxygen trough early and often.

And that's why peeps run a no huddle against this D. To keep unintended steeler players on the field. Especially fat boy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Didn't Jim Kelly and the Bills have a no huddle offense ? As far as I remember it he, would torch our 3/4 but lose to the 4/3 defenses. All except the 95 season when we knocked him out of the game with a sack from Kenny Davis plus, we had Lloyd, Kevin Green, Rays Seals, Kirkland to name a few bad arses.
    Not to mention a great defensive backfield in Woodson, Lake, and Perry. WOW!

Btw, who is Kenny Davis?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    LOL. Sorry. But the thread title says NO HUDDLE defense. What are you meaning?

A no huddle offense does this so the D can't substitute players, or makes it hard to. How does a defense do this?
    It's not about the D not huddling, it's about creating a D that can hang with an offense that doesn't huddle.

I can see an NFL where the no-huddle offense soon becomes the standard. Defenses are going to have to adjust somehow, and ending the reliance on big fat run stuffers for more athletic guys who are able to last an entire drive with out taking a break is going to be essential.

I just don't understand why an offense can maintain that pace and wear a defense out when the offense is playing at the same pace.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    It's not about the D not huddling, it's about creating a D that can hang with an offense that doesn't huddle.

I can see an NFL where the no-huddle offense soon becomes the standard. Defenses are going to have to adjust somehow, and ending the reliance on big fat run stuffers for more athletic guys who are able to last an entire drive with out taking a break is going to be essential.

I just don't understand why an offense can maintain that pace and wear a defense out when the offense is playing at the same pace.
    ah, now I get ya! For sure that might be needed really soon. This is a passing league and unfortunately becoming alot like arena football. PUKE.

The Steelers kinda had a no huddle D when they could get good backups in there like Chris Hoke who could hang and wasn't a big fat-so. Well he has retired too and it's going to kill this D with all that's missing nowadays.

Backup

User Info Menu

The real big problem for any team going against the no huddle is the offensive line is basically allowed to hold the defender, and the defensive backs aren't allowed to touch the receiver. Hence the defense is going to wear down faster chasing the sprinters and grappling in the trenches, while the offense can run a new receiver out and the olineman are basically staying in one place.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think we got caught by the no huddle in our base D where the no huddle defense should be our nickle. In fact against certain teams or situations, the nickel should be our base defense.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The real big problem for any team going against the no huddle is the offensive line is basically allowed to hold the defender, and the defensive backs aren't allowed to touch the receiver. Hence the defense is going to wear down faster chasing the sprinters and grappling in the trenches, while the offense can run a new receiver out and the olineman are basically staying in one place.
    True, but why can't the Steelers put u points when they do it with Ben??

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    True, but why can't the Steelers put u points when they do it with Ben??
    They do, but I don't think Arians/Tomlin trusted Ben enough to run it all the time, or they just didn't see the benefit. Plus your oline does have to be able to hold down the fort for 3-4 seconds.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They do, but I don't think Arians/Tomlin trusted Ben enough to run it all the time, or they just didn't see the benefit. Plus your oline does have to be able to hold down the fort for 3-4 seconds.
    Yes. I thought the Oline played very well in the 2nd half. Ben had all day a number of times.

Administrator

User Info Menu

We would rather draft "splash players" that make no splash.... or "flexible" players that are o.k. but not good at anything or..... or guys that can "run and hit" but can't fight off a block fast enough..
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.