Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why isn't there a no-huddle defense?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    The real big problem for any team going against the no huddle is the offensive line is basically allowed to hold the defender, and the defensive backs aren't allowed to touch the receiver.
    That's a cop out in this case. The Steelers D' got torched plain and simple.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    That's a cop out in this case. The Steelers D' got torched plain and simple.
    Not a cop out, just the way it is. Our D looked winded and we were missing Clark and Harrison. If the dline doesn't play as a unit and if Casey isn't in the middle they will be able to run and pass against our defense in the no huddle all day long.

Legend

User Info Menu

Casey Hampton should be the designated injury anytime we are getting torched by the no huddle....

Legend

User Info Menu

Not a cop out, just the way it is. Our D looked winded and we were missing Clark and Harrison. If the dline doesn't play as a unit and if Casey isn't in the middle they will be able to run and pass against our defense in the no huddle all day long.
    In the no huddle Casy should never be in. You need a far more athletic player like McLendon.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    In the no huddle Casy should never be in. You need a far more athletic player like McLendon.
    Well if Casey isn't in, and the Dline doesn't play their assignments, seams open in our defense and we are unable to stop the run. Right now it looks like any team could run no huddle out of the shotgun, and just run it down our throats.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well if Casey isn't in, and the Dline doesn't play their assignments, seams open in our defense and we are unable to stop the run. Right now it looks like any team could run no huddle out of the shotgun, and just run it down our throats.
    I would love to see the team start training Hood, Heyward, and Keisel to be able to stay on the field and mirror what any offense is doing.

I think that a defense looking like this:

.........Heyward........Hood..........Keisel...... ...
    Woodley.............Timmons................Harriso n
    Lewis......Allen......Polamalu......Clark......Tay lor

would offer the most athletic 11 guys who could be the most versatile in holding down the front against multiple offensive fronts. You can bring Woodley or Harrison up if needed. Put Clark or Troy (or both) in the box and still have 4 DBs in coverage.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Not to mention a great defensive backfield in Woodson, Lake, and Perry. WOW!

Btw, who is Kenny Davis?
    I think he was referring to former DE Kenny Davidson (a 2nd round pick back in the early 90's).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I would love to see the team start training Hood, Heyward, and Keisel to be able to stay on the field and mirror what any offense is doing.

I think that a defense looking like this:

.........Heyward........Hood..........Keisel...... ...
    Woodley.............Timmons................Harriso n
    Lewis......Allen......Polamalu......Clark......Tay lor

would offer the most athletic 11 guys who could be the most versatile in holding down the front against multiple offensive fronts. You can bring Woodley or Harrison up if needed. Put Clark or Troy (or both) in the box and still have 4 DBs in coverage.
    I think that is the next logical defensive progression that will allow the Steelers to shut down the no-huddle, but the corners are going to have to play an expert man to man, and someone is going to have to man up with a big TE. The dline aside from playing their gap assignments will also have to be able to get some sort of pressure. There will be some hybrid developed to shut it down, but until then the scores are going to elevate and we are going to have to win a few track meets.

It's basically the 3-3-5 that SDSU is trying to run now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think that is the next logical defensive progression that will allow the Steelers to shut down the no-huddle, but the corners are going to have to play an expert man to man, and someone is going to have to man up with a big TE. The dline aside from playing their gap assignments will also have to be able to get some sort of pressure. There will be some hybrid developed to shut it down, but until then the scores are going to elevate and we are going to have to win a few track meets.

It's basically the 3-3-5 that SDSU is trying to run now.
    It would be great if some high school and college programs would start taking those undersized LBs with speed and teaching them all to cover well enough to be crazy bada** strong safeties to work in this system. By the time those guys get to the NFL they need to already be able to cover well enough to line up with these huge TEs.

I think that more than anything else is what is going to push offenses forward - the new breed of TEs.