Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why isn't there a no-huddle defense?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why isn't there a no-huddle defense?

Obviously teams across the league, including the Steelers, struggle mightily to defend the no-huddle. Why is there not an answer for this?

If the problem is that you can't substitute out your big tired guys, then use smaller guys with more endurance. Create a no-huddle defense. If the offensive players can run around and battle it out and keep playing, then the defensive players should be able to as well.

ADAPT!

Legend

User Info Menu

If you go small, then the opponent will just cram the ball down your throats.

If you go big, then the opponent will start the no-huddle to keep the tired fatties on the field.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

If you go big, then the opponent will start the no-huddle to keep the tired fatties on the field.

And if everyone tries to play no huddle you will have some making excuses for the defense that the offense isn't giving them time to rest.

That said, I hope we see much more of our no huddle because our WRs are extremely difficult to match up with. Put Dwyer in the backfield and we have sa real run/catch threat until Mendy comes back.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

It didn't seem like Peyton and the Broncos were hiding the fact that they were coming out with the no-huddle. I would have taken my chances.

Maybe you give up a couple more yards per run, but you also have a better chance of putting pressure on and getting sacks when they do throw.

Now that I think about it, the answer is already out there. The 4-3 Defense with DLinemen who can play the run well enough and also get pressure regardless of blitz calls.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    It didn't seem like Peyton and the Broncos were hiding the fact that they were coming out with the no-huddle. I would have taken my chances.

Maybe you give up a couple more yards per run, but you also have a better chance of putting pressure on and getting sacks when they do throw.

Now that I think about it, the answer is already out there. The 4-3 Defense with DLinemen who can play the run well enough and also get pressure regardless of blitz calls.
    Yes the 4-3 can!!!!!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Right! Peyton has never burned a 4-3 defense with the no-huddle!

Heck, neither has Ben!

4-3 is the cure all for all defensive woes!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

Heck, neither has Ben!

Not all, but maybe ours!!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Heck, neither has Ben!

You don't think players like JPP and Jay Ratliff would fare better against a no huddle than a guy like Hampton or Ziggy would? Ignore that it's called the 4-3 and think about the players it uses.

Rookie

User Info Menu

You don't think players like JPP and Jay Ratliff would fare better against a no huddle than a guy like Hampton or Ziggy would? Ignore that it's called the 4-3 and think about the players it uses.
    Exactly...

Jay Ratliff is a 3-4 NT...you can put the players in any scheme and call it what you want...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Exactly...

Jay Ratliff is a 3-4 NT...you can put the players in any scheme and call it what you want...
    Many will say Ratliff is a "4-3 DT" playing the role of a "3-4 NT". I think he's just a great football player. An athletic football player. A guy who can get after the QB and play the run.

If you put a premium on guys like that rather than guys that fit the role of LBs in a 3-4, I see a successful defense.

I've seen all the proof I'll ever need watching the Giants defense shut down the high powered Pats in two Super Bowls.