Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Why isn't there a no-huddle defense?

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,424

    Why isn't there a no-huddle defense?

    Obviously teams across the league, including the Steelers, struggle mightily to defend the no-huddle. Why is there not an answer for this?

    If the problem is that you can't substitute out your big tired guys, then use smaller guys with more endurance. Create a no-huddle defense. If the offensive players can run around and battle it out and keep playing, then the defensive players should be able to as well.

    ADAPT!

  2. #2
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    25,350
    If you go small, then the opponent will just cram the ball down your throats.

    If you go big, then the opponent will start the no-huddle to keep the tired fatties on the field.


    1 CB Vernon Hargreaves Florida 5-10 204
    2 DT Austin Johnson Penn State 6-4 314
    3 SS Jeremy Cash Duke 6-0 212
    4 LB Jaylon Smith Notre Dame 6-2 223
    6 WR Moritz Boehringer Germany 6-4 227
    7 OT Brandon Shell South Carolina 6-5 324
    7 RB Tre Madden USC 6-0 223

    UDFA
    DE David Onyemata, LB Ian Seau, FS Jordan Lomax, CB DeAndre Elliott,
    QB Jeff Driskel, TE David Morgan, OG Spencer Drango, OC Mike Matthews

    2015 MNF Executive Champion!

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    15,700
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If you go small, then the opponent will just cram the ball down your throats.

    If you go big, then the opponent will start the no-huddle to keep the tired fatties on the field.

    And if everyone tries to play no huddle you will have some making excuses for the defense that the offense isn't giving them time to rest.

    That said, I hope we see much more of our no huddle because our WRs are extremely difficult to match up with. Put Dwyer in the backfield and we have sa real run/catch threat until Mendy comes back.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,424
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If you go small, then the opponent will just cram the ball down your throats.

    If you go big, then the opponent will start the no-huddle to keep the tired fatties on the field.
    It didn't seem like Peyton and the Broncos were hiding the fact that they were coming out with the no-huddle. I would have taken my chances.

    Maybe you give up a couple more yards per run, but you also have a better chance of putting pressure on and getting sacks when they do throw.

    Now that I think about it, the answer is already out there. The 4-3 Defense with DLinemen who can play the run well enough and also get pressure regardless of blitz calls.

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    15,700
    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    It didn't seem like Peyton and the Broncos were hiding the fact that they were coming out with the no-huddle. I would have taken my chances.

    Maybe you give up a couple more yards per run, but you also have a better chance of putting pressure on and getting sacks when they do throw.

    Now that I think about it, the answer is already out there. The 4-3 Defense with DLinemen who can play the run well enough and also get pressure regardless of blitz calls.
    Yes the 4-3 can!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    It didn't seem like Peyton and the Broncos were hiding the fact that they were coming out with the no-huddle. I would have taken my chances.

    Maybe you give up a couple more yards per run, but you also have a better chance of putting pressure on and getting sacks when they do throw.

    Now that I think about it, the answer is already out there. The 4-3 Defense with DLinemen who can play the run well enough and also get pressure regardless of blitz calls.
    Right! Peyton has never burned a 4-3 defense with the no-huddle!

    Heck, neither has Ben!

    4-3 is the cure all for all defensive woes!!!

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    15,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Right! Peyton has never burned a 4-3 defense with the no-huddle!

    Heck, neither has Ben!

    4-3 is the cure all for all defensive woes!!!
    Not all, but maybe ours!!!!

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Right! Peyton has never burned a 4-3 defense with the no-huddle!

    Heck, neither has Ben!

    4-3 is the cure all for all defensive woes!!!

    You don't think players like JPP and Jay Ratliff would fare better against a no huddle than a guy like Hampton or Ziggy would? Ignore that it's called the 4-3 and think about the players it uses.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    You don't think players like JPP and Jay Ratliff would fare better against a no huddle than a guy like Hampton or Ziggy would? Ignore that it's called the 4-3 and think about the players it uses.
    Exactly...

    Jay Ratliff is a 3-4 NT...you can put the players in any scheme and call it what you want...

  10. #10
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Exactly...

    Jay Ratliff is a 3-4 NT...you can put the players in any scheme and call it what you want...
    Many will say Ratliff is a "4-3 DT" playing the role of a "3-4 NT". I think he's just a great football player. An athletic football player. A guy who can get after the QB and play the run.

    If you put a premium on guys like that rather than guys that fit the role of LBs in a 3-4, I see a successful defense.

    I've seen all the proof I'll ever need watching the Giants defense shut down the high powered Pats in two Super Bowls.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •