Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Maybe James Harrison wasn't such a bad fill-in long snapper after all

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,322

    Maybe James Harrison wasn't such a bad fill-in long snapper after all

    here's a story about how a Raider's long snapper asked to fill in after an injury last night fared. I'll take James Harrison if this is the alternative!

    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,459
    It drives me insane that we can't trrain an OL to long snap. Imagine the problems we could have avoided the other night if we had an extra OL active who could long snap and not have to carry Warren on the game day roster. This really isn't rocket science.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It drives me insane that we can't trrain an OL to long snap. Imagine the problems we could have avoided the other night if we had an extra OL active who could long snap and not have to carry Warren on the game day roster. This really isn't rocket science.
    Apparently it is, if you want the long snapper to do it well...

  4. #4
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It drives me insane that we can't trrain an OL to long snap. Imagine the problems we could have avoided the other night if we had an extra OL active who could long snap and not have to carry Warren on the game day roster. This really isn't rocket science.
    Did you see what happened with Goethel last night? If that isn't the ultimate testament to the importance of long snappers, then I don't know what is. Bounce it back to the punter, can't get the punt off. Freaking roll it back to him, can't get the punt off. And even when you do finally hit him in the chest, the punt still gets blocked. That's the equivalent of 3 interceptions in your own territory.

    It's not as simple as you claim it to be. You have to launch the ball between your legs 15 yards behind you (that's 45 feet away for the math-challenged), and hit a target about a foot in diameter (right in the mid-torso above the naval and below the nipples) with enough speed do get it to the punter with sufficient time to get the punt away unscathed, in a perfect spiral so it is easily catchable by a guy who isn't exactly the most athletic target out there, all while there is a defender a few inches away from your helmet that is itching to block that kick. That's only the long snap for punts...you also need to be able to adjust to a closer target and a lower trajectory for field goals and extra points.

    We punted the ball 59 times last season, plus attempted 31 field goals and 36 extra points. That means that Greg Warren had to snap the ball perfectly 126 times. One single error is a disaster that causes fans to revolt and call for your head. I'd say a single roster spot (especially now that you can have 46 players active on gameday instead of 45 with an emergency 3rd QB like in years past) is well worth it for a guy who is able to do that job flawlessly, instead of trying to teach someone else how to do it and having them fail on multiple occassions over the course of a long season. But that's just me.
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 09-11-2012 at 01:11 PM.

  5. #5
    Good post Ruthless.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler D Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,322
    Completely agree Ruthless, and the numbers make the point even louder. It really is incredible when you look at it that way.

    That blocked punt for the Raiders last night was a direct result of the bad snaps, too. Lechler moved closer than normal to the LOS to try and help out, and then inexplicably no one even touched Rosario on his way to the punter. Bad combination of events that led to disaster. Harrison firing one out of the endzone is mild compared to last night.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,459
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Did you see what happened with Goethel last night? If that isn't the ultimate testament to the importance of long snappers, then I don't know what is. Bounce it back to the punter, can't get the punt off. Freaking roll it back to him, can't get the punt off. And even when you do finally hit him in the chest, the punt still gets blocked. That's the equivalent of 3 interceptions in your own territory.

    It's not as simple as you claim it to be. You have to launch the ball between your legs 15 yards behind you (that's 45 feet away for the math-challenged), and hit a target about a foot in diameter (right in the mid-torso above the naval and below the nipples) with enough speed do get it to the punter with sufficient time to get the punt away unscathed, in a perfect spiral so it is easily catchable by a guy who isn't exactly the most athletic target out there, all while there is a defender a few inches away from your helmet that is itching to block that kick. That's only the long snap for punts...you also need to be able to adjust to a closer target and a lower trajectory for field goals and extra points.

    We punted the ball 59 times last season, plus attempted 31 field goals and 36 extra points. That means that Greg Warren had to snap the ball perfectly 126 times. One single error is a disaster that causes fans to revolt and call for your head. I'd say a single roster spot (especially now that you can have 46 players active on gameday instead of 45 with an emergency 3rd QB like in years past) is well worth it for a guy who is able to do that job flawlessly, instead of trying to teach someone else how to do it and having them fail on multiple occassions over the course of a long season. But that's just me.
    Did anyone say it wasn't important? The point is why can't obviously talented men learn how to do this?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  8. #8
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Did anyone say it wasn't important? The point is why can't obviously talented men learn how to do this?
    Sure, you can teach a backup offensive lineman to long snap...but he won't be one of the 32 best in the world at it...far from it. I'd rather have one of the 32 best in the world at this particular skill. Just like you can teach your kicker to punt (or your punter to kick), but he won't be one of the 32 best on the planet at that other skill, which is why every team uses 3 roster spots on those 3 specialists.

    What is more likely to cost you a game...losing a game because you don't have an 8th active o-lineman, or because of a faulty long snap?

    I agree with you about trying to develop that skill in another active player, but that is only so I have a reasonably competant fall-back option in case Warren gets hurt in the middle of a game, not as a full-season replacement for Warren.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •