Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Will Johnson

Nice catch and run by the big guy yesterday. He's definately smooth.

He's not a bad blocker.....although he totally missed the OLB on one Running play and went up inside to block. That was just plain doing the wrong thing, not whiffing on a block
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Nice catch and run by the big guy yesterday. He's definately smooth.

He's not a bad blocker.....although he totally missed the OLB on one Running play and went up inside to block. That was just plain doing the wrong thing, not whiffing on a block

I think Will Johnson is the FB of the present and the future. I'm very impressed with what I have seen after two games. He needs to work on adjusting his angles to the man he is trying to block but so far pretty solid efforts. They have just begun to scratch the surface of what this kid can do. Great find by Tomlin and the boys.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer
    Will Johnson was a TE at WVU for the most part. Catching the ball is what he does best. He runs very well in a straight line and should be great on swing passes and stretching the seam vs linebackers. He does not have a ton of wiggle, but he can drag tacklers though he usually doesn't break tackles. As a blocking fullback, I have seen some potential athletically, but he lacks torque and strength at the POA. He can be very effective in the role of a Green Bay FB or Aaron Hernandez of the Pats. I'd rather have a FB in the Vonta Leach mold, but, if used correctly, Johnson could be very effective for us.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Will Johnson was a TE at WVU for the most part. Catching the ball is what he does best. He runs very well in a straight line and should be great on swing passes and stretching the seam vs linebackers. He does not have a ton of wiggle, but he can drag tacklers though he usually doesn't break tackles. As a blocking fullback, I have seen some potential athletically, but he lacks torque and strength at the POA. He can be very effective in the role of a Green Bay FB or Aaron Hernandez of the Pats. I'd rather have a FB in the Vonta Leach mold, but, if used correctly, Johnson could be very effective for us.
    The Jets didn't shy away from giving him attention in pass coverage yesterday. After his catch they had a man on him the whole game ... the Steelers tried to get a screen pass to him that didn't work out.
    Vonta Leech would be nice, but lets see how this kid matures into this offense.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Everyone needs to remember he is basically a rookie. Let's see how he develops. He seems to be a hard worker.

Post-Jets thoughts

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2012
    by Dale Lolley

@ Will Johnson is proving to be a weapon out of the backfield and will continue to be so. He's a matchup nightmare for linebackers - especially when they don't cover him as the Jets failed to do.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Steelers H-back Johnson proving his worth

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Published: Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Steelers began training camp with tight end David Johnson having a significance presence, particularly as the lead blocker in the run game. But Johnson’s season-ending knee injury forced offensive coordinator Todd Haley to call an audible.

The Steelers decided a fullback — free agent Will Johnson — could best fill the role of blocking back. However, Johnson has become a reliable H-back, doubling as a lead blocker and tight end.

The New York Jets seemed somewhat confused when Johnson lined up at tight end in the Steelers’ home opener Sunday. He slipped into the flat uncovered for a 26-yard reception to set up the game’s first score, a 45-yard field goal by Shaun Suisham.

“It’s something we got into last week, primarily to get me more snaps” said Johnson, who played fewer than 10 snaps in the season opener at Denver. “It gives us variety and flexibility to the offense and enables me to contribute.

“(The coaches) are definitely getting the backs and tight ends more involved in the passing game as they planned in training camp. I hope they keep coming back to us.”

Johnson could be even more involved when the Steelers play at Oakland on Sunday. The Raiders are 29th in defending the run, giving Johnson hope he’ll spend more time blocking for running backs Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer.

“I take it personal that we can run the ball,” Johnson said. “I have to prove myself every day, and I have to stay consistent.”

Johnson is considered a good route runner with fairly good hands. He’s familiar with the position, having played H-back at West Virginia.

“Will made a great play, and we were able to feed off of it,” tight end Leonard Pope said. “I told him during (organized team activities) that I was pulling for him. I love his work ethic, and he’s got the tenacity you need in a fullback. Obviously his job is to bust heads every play.”

Still, Johnson’s primary job is that of lead blocker. While the run game struggles to hit its stride, Johnson is making the most of his opportunities.

“Hopefully I’ve earned the coaches’ trust to get in more formations that allow me to come out of the backfield or line up at tight end,” said Johnson, who has yet to carry the ball. “When Ben gets into a groove, it’s hard to get away from certain personnel, but I’ll have to take advantage of my chances.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz27GZ8XGNj
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 09-23-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers H-back Johnson proving his worth

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Published: Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Steelers began training camp with tight end David Johnson having a significance presence, particularly as the lead blocker in the run game. But Johnson’s season-ending knee injury forced offensive coordinator Todd Haley to call an audible.

The Steelers decided a fullback — free agent Will Johnson — could best fill the role of blocking back. However, Johnson has become a reliable H-back, doubling as a lead blocker and tight end.

The New York Jets seemed somewhat confused when Johnson lined up at tight end in the Steelers’ home opener Sunday. He slipped into the flat uncovered for a 26-yard reception to set up the game’s first score, a 45-yard field goal by Shaun Suisham.

“It’s something we got into last week, primarily to get me more snaps” said Johnson, who played fewer than 10 snaps in the season opener at Denver. “It gives us variety and flexibility to the offense and enables me to contribute.

“(The coaches) are definitely getting the backs and tight ends more involved in the passing game as they planned in training camp. I hope they keep coming back to us.”

Johnson could be even more involved when the Steelers play at Oakland on Sunday. The Raiders are 29th in defending the run, giving Johnson hope he’ll spend more time blocking for running backs Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer.

“I take it personal that we can run the ball,” Johnson said. “I have to prove myself every day, and I have to stay consistent.”

Johnson is considered a good route runner with fairly good hands. He’s familiar with the position, having played H-back at West Virginia.

“Will made a great play, and we were able to feed off of it,” tight end Leonard Pope said. “I told him during (organized team activities) that I was pulling for him. I love his work ethic, and he’s got the tenacity you need in a fullback. Obviously his job is to bust heads every play.”

Still, Johnson’s primary job is that of lead blocker. While the run game struggles to hit its stride, Johnson is making the most of his opportunities.

“Hopefully I’ve earned the coaches’ trust to get in more formations that allow me to come out of the backfield or line up at tight end,” said Johnson, who has yet to carry the ball. “When Ben gets into a groove, it’s hard to get away from certain personnel, but I’ll have to take advantage of my chances.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz27GZ8XGNj
    Except for the hardwork that they both seem to do, everything written about Will Johnson sounds better than anything we ever saw from DJ Johnson. This article could never be written about the latter.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Except for the hardwork that they both seem to do, everything written about Will Johnson sounds better than anything we ever saw from DJ Johnson. This article could never be written about the latter.
    Will Johnson is certainly a more athletic playmaking type when compared to David Johnson, but D.J. is still a better blocker than W.J.