Thread: Offense played better than the defense - we are in trouble

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Offense played better than the defense - we are in trouble

The offense not only played well but, even played better defense than our defense.
    They kept manning off for epic long time.....

So list the problems on defense that we need to fix very soon or this season is done?

Overweight\slow players
    Corner-back problems still are there
    No Interceptions
    Big play maker

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    The offense not only played well but, even played better defense than our defense.
    They kept manning off for epic long time.....

So list the problems on defense that we need to fix very soon or this season is done?

Overweight\slow players
    Corner-back problems still are there
    No Interceptions
    Big play maker
    The defense did well in the fiirst half when they were aggressive and unpredictable.

Then like always LeBeau got scared and went passive and predictable in the second half against a good QB who then picked us apart.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The defense did well in the fiirst half when they were aggressive and unpredictable.

Then like always LeBeau got scared and went passive and predictable in the second half against a good QB who then picked us apart.
    You have written the same thing in countless threads now. Do you want the facts now?

You are correct about the early blitzes working in the first quarter. One was the sack where Larry Foote overpowered Knowshon Moreno on an inside rush to force a punt on Denver's first drive. Another is when Timmons and Worilds both came off the weak side on Denver's 3rd offensive series and Knowshon could only block one of them, so Worilds was completely untouched en route to sacking Manning.

What about the rest of the game? Should we have been more aggressive as you suggest and continued blitzing more often after that early success getting Peyton to the ground? Well, for the rest of the game, when facing a blitz, Manning was 9-11 for 152 yards and both of his TD passes. Doing some simple math, that would mean that Peyton was 10-15 for 101 yards and no TD's when not facing a blitz. Seems to me that we were more effective rushing 4 or less against Manning than we were sending 5 or more. But don't let the facts fool you or anything.

Inexperienced QB's get rattled by the blitz and make mistakes. Future Hall of Famers prefer you to blitz because they know who's running a hot route and are happy to take what you give them.

[URL]http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21508314/steelers-find-out-blitzing-peyton-manning-still-risky[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

the offense had a chance to go down the field and score a TD to win the game at the end and bail out the defense but didn't get it done.

this is a team game, we win and we lose as a team...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    You have written the same thing in countless threads now. Do you want the facts now?

You are correct about the early blitzes working in the first quarter. One was the sack where Larry Foote overpowered Knowshon Moreno on an inside rush to force a punt on Denver's first drive. Another is when Timmons and Worilds both came off the weak side on Denver's 3rd offensive series and Knowshon could only block one of them, so Worilds was completely untouched en route to sacking Manning.

What about the rest of the game? Should we have been more aggressive as you suggest and continued blitzing more often after that early success getting Peyton to the ground? Well, for the rest of the game, when facing a blitz, Manning was 9-11 for 152 yards and both of his TD passes. Doing some simple math, that would mean that Peyton was 10-15 for 101 yards and no TD's when not facing a blitz. Seems to me that we were more effective rushing 4 or less against Manning than we were sending 5 or more. But don't let the facts fool you or anything.

Inexperienced QB's get rattled by the blitz and make mistakes. Future Hall of Famers prefer you to blitz because they know who's running a hot route and are happy to take what you give them.

[URL]http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21508314/steelers-find-out-blitzing-peyton-manning-still-risky[/URL]
    I agree, I believe both units had issues at times. It wasn't simply that one unit out performed the other.