Thread: Troubling trends

Troubling trends

I have noticed a number of reoccurring problems that seem to surface every game or enough that it appears to be quite often:

1. Offensive linemen get injured during the game and miss parts of the game or the entire game. I cannot remember the last time a linemen or two were not injured. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time the same starting 5 started and finished the game. Our linemen appear big and slow compared to some other lines (i.e. Green Bay and N.E.). I think our conditioning with the line is a big issue. I have never seen a team with so many injuries to the OL, and this has been going on for years.

2. Tomlin using challenges on calls that anyone watching on TV can tell with one look of the replay that it will not be overtuned. And Tomlin rarely if ever is successful with his challenges. He has to have the worst percentage of any coach in the NFL. Do the Steelers have someone who can immediately review the play upstairs to make a decision or not?

3. Ben spiking the football to kill the clock with an enormous amount of time to run 3 plays, thereby trimming our chances of scoring a TD by 1/3. Doesn't make any sense. Why spike the ball with 40 seconds left and one time out? Just run the play. You can easily run 3 plays from the 8 yard line in 40 seconds with one timeout, could do it with 20 seconds. Do the coaches teach players about situational football?

4. Steelers D gives up a score (mostly TDs) immediately after our offense has scored. And this one really does happen way to much.

5. Troy rarely if ever makes any play on a ball in the secondary. I can name a dozen safeties around the league (Ed Reed, Roman Harper, Adrian Wilson, Antrell Rolle, etc.) who seem to always find a way to the ball in coverage, but "one of the best Safeties" in the league Troy just doesn't seem to be around the play. The Steelers unique method of using Troy has ultimately amounted to a bunch of nothing when it comes to making plays. Yes, Troy can be effective in run stopping, but they need a safety that can make plays in coverage. He ends of being out of position way to much.

Also, the Steelers efforts to protect Ben will ultimately end up getting him killed. I am not for passing on every down, but this is a passing league and you need to be more aggressive than in years past. If Haley's playcalling are indicative of the Rooney's influence this is going to be a long year.

Not sure I comprehend how running the ball on 1st and 2nd down and then asking Ben to bail out the offense on 3 and 15, 3 and 12, 3 and 10, 3 and 8 is going to help him stay safe. And then we complain when Ben scrambles, holds the ball too long.

The fact is Ben is not a conventional QB. Like it or not he is better suited for a more up tempo offense, shot gun and hurry up. He did make a bad throw that cost us the game, but he made 12 1st downs throwing to only 2 running first downs! Putting Ben in constant 3rd down situations when the running game does next to nothing is not a formula for success and will not protect your QB. It will actually expose him more.
    Last edited by JAS; 09-10-2012 at 02:40 PM.