Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some things never seem to change.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

some things never seem to change.....

I'm not gonna overreact to one game - but it drives me nuts the things that are clearly our weak points year in and year out (at least in recent years), never seem to get resolved.

looks like the o-line will continue to be a committee instead of a consistent healthy 5. the colts made it their mission to protect peyton. looks like the broncos had no problem continuing that tradition. the steelers? not so much.

the question mark on the defense was, will the young guys step up? I know we made some tackles tonight - but dang if I can recall who made them other than troy. captain keisel? hood? Heyward?

haley better plan on averaging 28 points a game.

ben gives a chance to win every game. it would be great if we didn't rely on him week in and week out to save the day.

peyton played great and the broncos are solid. next week against the jets should be telling about the true state of the steelers.
    Last edited by Starlifter; 09-10-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I'm not gonna overreact to one game - but it drives me nuts the things that are clearly our weak points year in and year out (at least in recent years), never seem to get resolved.

looks like the o-line will continue to be a committee instead of a consistent healthy 5. the colts made it their mission to protect peyton. looks like the broncos had no problem continuing that tradition. the steelers? not so much.

the question mark on the defense was, will the young guys step up? I know we made some tackles tonight - but dang if I can recall who made them other than troy. captain keisel? hood? Heyward?

ben gives a chance to win every game. it would be great if we didn't rely on him week in and week out to save the day.

peyton played great and the broncos are solid. next week against the jets should be telling about the true state of the steelers.
    Ummm considering the injuries Ben had A LOT of time back there. I thought the offensive line played pretty well all things considered. Everyone overreacts immediately after the game. If Harrison is in the game we're pressuring Manning and despite what some say about Ryan Clark he allows Troy to be Troy. I'm not worried about this team.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Until that last meaningless drive, the Steelers' pass pro was working...even after losing the entire right side of the line...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Ummm considering the injuries Ben had A LOT of time back there. I thought the offensive line played pretty well all things considered. Everyone overreacts immediately after the game. If Harrison is in the game we're pressuring Manning and despite what some say about Ryan Clark he allows Troy to be Troy. I'm not worried about this team.
    I don't think it's overreacting. going into the season the question marks (in my mind) were our ability to pressure opposing QB's, to stay healthy on the o-line and protect ben. tonight's game didn't give me any answers to those questions.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't think it's overreacting. going into the season the question marks (in my mind) were our ability to pressure opposing QB's, to stay healthy on the o-line and protect ben. tonight's game didn't give me any answers to those questions.
    The offensive line protected Ben all game outside of the final two minutes when they were sending the farm. We were also down to lineman and I would imagine both should be back next week. I thought to myself on several occasions, "Man if DeCastro was on this line right now". I was pretty pleased with how they played and as others have said I'm not that upset with this loss.

Legend

User Info Menu

We pressured Manning in the first half when we were aggressive and sent several inside blitzes, however then LeBeau reverted to form against a good QB as soon as Manning started to be sucessful and played scared waiting for Troy to do something spectatcular. The problem was that even Chris Collinsworth showed everyone on the broadcast how Manning was keying his audibles off of where Troy was. Everyone saw it so where was the adjustment on LeBeau's part...there was none because that is the template he puts out there every game.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We pressured Manning in the first half when we were aggressive and sent several inside blitzes, however then LeBeau reverted to form against a good QB as soon as Manning started to be sucessful and played scared waiting for Troy to do something spectatcular. The problem was that even Chris Collinsworth showed everyone on the broadcast how Manning was keying his audibles off of where Troy was. Everyone saw it so where was the adjustment on LeBeau's part...there was none because that is the template he puts out there every game.
    Yes, we could have started Troy on one side and then flipped him (or something like that).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Are we back to this already? We blitzed linebackers up the middle. We sent safeties and corners from the outside. We dropped lineman into coverage. We played both man and zone. We tried everthing we could do but we didn't win the one on one battles. If you don't win them it doesn't matter what the DC calls. Believe it or not the players have something to do with how the defense performs. It's not all on the defensive coordinator.

There are times where you have me convinced you really think you know more about defense and what to call than LeBeau does. This is one of those times.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post

Are we back to this already? We blitzed linebackers up the middle. We sent safeties and corners from the outside. We dropped lineman into coverage. We played both man and zone. We tried everthing we could do but we didn't win the one on one battles. If you don't win them it doesn't matter what the DC calls. Believe it or not the players have something to do with how the defense performs. It's not all on the defensive coordinator.

There are times where you have me convinced you really think you know more about defense and what to call than LeBeau does. This is one of those times.

The only thing you forgot to do is tell me that the defense was ranked #1. Of course LeBeau knows more about football than me, but that doesn't mean that everyone won't reach their "sell by" date sooner or later. Chuck Noll, the greaest coach in Steelers history, reached the point where he couldn't do it anymore and he wasn't making the right decisions. Ever consider LeBeau may have reached that point.

I may not know as much as LeBeau but I have eyes and I see things objectively and the recipe for last night's failure on defense was the same one that have repeatedly appeared on a recurring basis going on the third year now. A good QB starts to connect on a few passes and the defense looks lost and goes passive. That is on the guy in charge of the defense just like on the offensive side of the ball.

If it didn't result in losses, it would be humorous the way when the offense fails it is on the OC and playcalling but when the defense fails the same way over and over it is on players "not winning one on one battles." Sooner or later you got to start to recognize the trends and not make excuses for the DC.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 09-10-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I was going to start a thread, but Starlifter said everything I was going to.

Wasn't there supposed to be an off-season, with like, uhmm, visible changes as a result?

Seems to me we're starting this season just like we ended last - injured and short-handed on the O-line, unable to reliably get more than 3 points after long scoring drives, unable to pressure the opposing QB when it counts >> giving up HUGE defensive plays, 3 yrds and a cloud of dust (what was our rushing average, did we break 3 yards per carry?), and having to pray that Ben pulls a SB-like drive at the end of the game otherwise we're gonna lose.

I know we've got valid reasons for our performance - injuries mainly - but I'm just saying this looked too familiar. What is it with us and OL injuries? Do we need different trainer techniques? There's got to be a reason ...

OK, rant off -

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!