Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Very slow looking lifeless defense

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Peyton freaking Manning outran Timmons to the sideline in the first half
    Pappy
    That was disturbing
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Peyton freaking Manning outran Timmons to the sideline in the first half, that's how slow he looked. I'm sure it was just an illusion, but man it sure looked like Manning had the better legs.

Pappy
    Perhaps it was an illusion with the angles, but Timmons looked slow and ineffective, and that play exemplified it.

If Foote continues to be the better ILB, this defense is in serious trouble.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A typical Lebeau defense. If he doesn't have a defensive player of the year player on it then, things don't work for his system. This defense started up where it left off last season.

Can't get off on third downs.

Hardly a turnover or when they do get them they seldom get points out of them.

The front line of the d doesn't push anyone back.

Linebackers make their tackles after 5 yards.

If we score a touch down you can guarantee the defense will give up a touchdown.

Lamar Woodley cant do squat if he doesn't have Harrison playing in the game.

The secondary looked like the keystone cops once again.

We used to always win when we went into half time with the lead...... that's becoming history.

Lebeau isn't willing to make new changes or come up with an original thought. The smoke and mirrors stuff he has been doing for years well, other teams have been to his carnivals and they figured out all his tricks.

I said the team would go 8-8 this season and now I'm not sure if they do that well.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    A typical Lebeau defense. If he doesn't have a defensive player of the year player on it then, things don't work for his system. This defense started up where it left off last season.

If we score a touch down you can guarantee the defense will give up a touchdown.

We used to always win when we went into half time with the lead...... that's becoming history.

Lebeau isn't willing to make new changes or come up with an original thought. The smoke and mirrors stuff he has been doing for years well, other teams have been to his carnivals and they figured out all his tricks.

I said the team would go 8-8 this season and now I'm not sure if they do that well.
    I agree with just about everything you listed here. But wasn't Woodley playing a dominant game against the Pats last year (without Harrison) and before he got hurt?

Our d-line and ILB's especially in the run game were absolutely pathetic.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Foote played better than I expected him to, but the rest of the defense was lacking. I never thought Timmons deserved the large payday that he got and now it's really looking like a mistake. How Ryan Mundy makes this team is baffling. He was beyond horrible last night. Safety used to be a strong part of our defense, now it's one of the worst. Troy needs to alter his playing style because he's not as fast as he used to be and just can't make plays that he did 3-4 years ago. Our corners aren't great, but they never have been when we don't get pressure. They got great pressure on Peyton in the 1st quarter, then he went no huddle and torched them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post

You sound like me. Well done!! Another person sees things as they are and not as they were.

Like I said when last season ended, we needed to replace TWO Coordinators.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal View Post
    Foote played better than I expected him to, but the rest of the defense was lacking. I never thought Timmons deserved the large payday that he got and now it's really looking like a mistake. How Ryan Mundy makes this team is baffling. He was beyond horrible last night. Safety used to be a strong part of our defense, now it's one of the worst. Troy needs to alter his playing style because he's not as fast as he used to be and just can't make plays that he did 3-4 years ago. Our corners aren't great, but they never have been when we don't get pressure. They got great pressure on Peyton in the 1st quarter, then he went no huddle and torched them.
    Mundy makes this team because we don't draft Safeties or sign them as Free Agents. Unfortunately we have waited too long to plan for post-Troy and post-Clark. I was always hopeful Mundy could develop into a solid player but it is clear that isn't going to happen.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal View Post

Perfectly said !

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Mundy makes this team because we don't draft Safeties or sign them as Free Agents. Unfortunately we have waited too long to plan for post-Troy and post-Clark. I was always hopeful Mundy could develop into a solid player but it is clear that isn't going to happen.

Another correct view with what is wrong with this team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Are you serious right now? Manning at that point had run something like 10 straight plays in the no huddle AT MILE HIGH, Timmons was forced inside and Peyton had an angle. We just need James back on the outside to take some pressure off Woodley. Everyone acts like we just went against Ryan Fitzpatrick lol.
    Ben had just driven the Steelers for field that took about 5 minutes off the clock; I'm not sure what that was in real time, but lets just leave it at 5 minutes. The scramble by Manning for a 1st down was the 6th play of the ensuing drive and it was in the no huddle. I'm hoping that our LBs are in good enough condition to play 6 plays consecutively without looking like they're running in mud which is what Timmons looked like on that particular play. The defense just looked sluggish and lethargic at times last night. There also was probably a lot of miscommunication due to new faces taking on expanded roles, Carter, Allen, Heyward, Hood, and Worilds. Manning showed the world why he will be a HOFer the moment his 5 year waiting period is up.

All-in-all I was more disappointed with the offense, not the defense, giving up 24 points to Peyton Manning should be good enough to win the game. In today's NFL you have to be able to consistently put 24 plus points on the board or you will lose to good teams. You can beat bad teams with 19 points, but the good teams are going to score 24 plus points every game, the Steeler offense needs to be able to match that, last night they didn't.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount