Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace scores touchdowns..Antonio Brown doesnt!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    yeah, let's reward the guy who didn't show up by giving him the $11.5 million/year contract he is looking for.

I have no idea how we could possibly replace those 4 catches for 37 yards Mike Wallace made against the Broncos, let's sign him no matter what, to heck with the salary cap...
    Exactly. You don't reward someone for not being a team player. They rewarded the guy who deserved the money when they signed Brown who is already the best, most complete WR on the team. Sanders is no slouch either.

Wallace was offered a very fair contract reported to be about $9M per year. If he doesn't want that then he can walk at the end of the season but I would use his a$$ up this year.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

I dont know why some guys hold it against a player for holding out. Its a strategic ploy. Do you hold it against the Rooneys for locking the players out? Why the double standard? Both are ploys to gain leverage. Brown will not be nearly as effective without Mike Wallace. Wallace stretches the Defense by occupying a safety. That opens the middle up for Sanders, Heath and Brown. The is no substitute for speed. Defense gameplan for Mike Wallace, not as muc for brown. Thats the reality. You might not like it but......

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Exactly. You don't reward someone for not being a team player. They rewarded the guy who deserved the money when they signed Brown who is already the best, most complete WR on the team. Sanders is no slouch either.

Wallace was offered a very fair contract reported to be about $9M per year. If he doesn't want that then he can walk at the end of the season but I would use his a$$ up this year.
    How about Carson Palmer? Didnt he quit on his teammates in Cincy? Did the media get all over him? NOPE. Wasnt he rewarded? It happens all the time in this business. You do what you have to do to gain leverage.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    How about Carson Palmer? Didnt he quit on his teammates in Cincy? Did the media get all over him? NOPE. Wasnt he rewarded? It happens all the time in this business. You do what you have to do to gain leverage.
    NEWSFLASH. Mike Wallace has NO LEVERAGE until 2014 unless the Steelers allow him to have leverage. They "own" him the season for $2.7M and they can "own" him if they choose next season with the franchise tag for about $10M. Combined that is about $6-7M or less than the Steelers offered him by $2M.

Mike Wallace has nothing except throwing his little off season pout by not showing up. All his off season shennaigans were for nothing. He had to come back at the Steelers price, he didn't get a new contract because they did what they said they would do and not negotiate while he was gone. What did he do? Not get hurt? It cracks me up everytime I hear someone talking about Wallace having leverage. What a joke.

Not like he was a factor on Sunday night, just like the last half of last season...outperformed by Antonio Brown.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not like he was a factor on Sunday night, just like the last half of last season...outperformed by Antonio Brown.
    Giving your team the lead in the 4th quarter by catching a TD pass in the red zone (for a team that has been notoriously bad when it comes to scoring TD's in the red zone) is being a non-factor? Noted.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

It seems you are a little testy. Perhaps you should go back to kidergarten and learn how to read. I never once said Wallace had leverage. I said "It was a ploy to gain leverage". Its obvious he got some bad advice. Nontheless he will get his money. Not as much as he asked but another strategic ploy is to start your bidding high to test the waters, they accept something "In the neighborhood" of what you deserved all along. At the end of the day, he will still get payed and he didnt have to go to camp. Winnning. The fact is Mike Wallace is a commodity and the Steelers are smart enough to see it. Why didnt they trade him? Obvious reasons. The Steelers recognize his value. You should too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Why didn't they trade him?

Because the Steelers are not the Bengals and will not allow a player to dictate terms to them...

But, I guess when your trading partner is as hapless as the Raiders, you can come out a winner...

Backup

User Info Menu

They didnt trade him because they realized his value to the Steelers. Simple. The traded Tone because they realized he was a F up. That was the same reasoning that almost landed Ben out of town. If you take away the Wallace deep threat watch how Ben, Antonio and Heath struggle (see the preseason)

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Notebook: Wallace's contract talks end for year

September 10, 2012
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DENVER -- Sunday not only marked the beginning of the season for the Steelers, it signaled the end of negotiations between them and wide receiver Mike Wallace.

It comes as no surprise that there will be no multiple-year contract for Wallace. He did not end his holdout until two days before the final preseason game. That left them a dozen to try to work out a new contract, because the Steelers have a long-standing policy of not negotiating contracts once the regular season starts.

"Talks" may be too strong a word to describe the discussions between the Steelers and Wallace's agent over the past 12 days. Very little went on.

So, Wallace will play this year for a salary of more than $2.7 million. At the end of the season, talks could open again on a multiple-year contract.

If he does not sign, he could become an unrestricted free agent in March, provided the Steelers do not put the franchise tag on him. That would cost them close to $11 million next season if they do. And they can also put the franchise tag on him a second time in 2014.

Whether they do or not in '13 could depend on how Wallace performs this season.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-notebook-wallaces-contract-talks-end-for-year-652663/#ixzz26BK2h5np[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    They didnt trade him because they realized his value to the Steelers. Simple. The traded Tone because they realized he was a F up. That was the same reasoning that almost landed Ben out of town. If you take away the Wallace deep threat watch how Ben, Antonio and Heath struggle (see the preseason)
    Why trade him when the team controls him on their terms for the next three years--2012, 2013 and 2014? The team can have it anyway they want. Sure it will be great if he stays but only at a price the Steelers want. Hopefully, Wallace gets smart and sees that.

Really, Ben was almost out of town? When was that really ever going to happen? Again the organization got what they wanted because the system puts them in control.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 09-11-2012 at 04:50 PM.