Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ike Taylor blasts Stephen A. Smith over his comments

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    That's the way it was called...Mundy was playing run first...unfortunately, so was every other Steelers defender...

Besides, Mundy also forced the fumble that led to the Steelers' game tying TD...so, he was clearly doing something right...
    Sure they were playing the run. but way to read the play and be really slow adjusting. He had plenty of time. The experts on NFL network broke it done. I am just the messenger and an armchair QB.

Backup

User Info Menu

S. A. Smith use to just comment on basketball. He is loud and boisterous and says stupid stuff, that's why he gets famous and people then ask him to put his two cents into areas (football) that he knows nothing about. Stick with BB SAS...You never knew junk about the NFL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    S. A. Smith use to just comment on basketball. He is loud and boisterous and says stupid stuff, that's why he gets famous and people then ask him to put his two cents into areas (football) that he knows nothing about. Stick with BB SAS...You never knew junk about the NFL.
    HAHA I agree with you 100%

On a side note. The last play the Steelers have had in a meaningfull game is still one I shake my head over....

That is why it is a new season however and full of new opurtunities as long as we put ourselves in position.

LETS GO STEELERS !!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    That's a cop out. Give me players who make plays.
    the guys on the other side of the line of scrimmage are getting paid to make plays also. to run a defense that provides no cover just doesn't make sense...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    the guys on the other side of the line of scrimmage are getting paid to make plays also. to run a defense that provides no cover just doesn't make sense...
    You're right it makes no sense. Mundy, Ike's cover, was out of position. I don't think it was "run" that way. Mundy better be ready to play on Sunday. It's Manning, not Tebow.

Ditto that to Carter and Foote being ready. Those are the weaknesses/new players in this D that worry me. Although, I have been impressed with Carter in the preseason and think he is capable of playing well.

Legend

User Info Menu

You're right it makes no sense. Mundy, Ike's cover, was out of position. I don't think it was "run" that way.

On the Steelers: Playoff loss still has LeBeau talking

September 7, 2012
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers will open the season with a rematch of last year's playoff game against Denver, except this time the Broncos have Peyton Manning under center.

The Sunday night spotlight in Denver no doubt will shine brightly on Peyton Manning's debut, but the air of Tim Tebow's throw on the first play of overtime Jan. 8 still hangs over Pittsburgh.

As many times as he tried Thursday, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau could not turn the clock to 2012. So he put the topic to rest by taking the blame for the defensive strategy that helped allow the 80-yard touchdown catch by Demaryius Thomas (pictured left) that sunk the Steelers, 29-23, in that playoff game.

He said they were in what he called "cover 9," which others have called an "inverted cover 2." Basically, it was nine defenders crowded around the line of scrimmage to stop what they believed would be a running play on first down.

LeBeau was asked if the defense planned something on that play specifically because Tebow was at quarterback that they might not do against Manning.

"I doubt if we'd be in that particular defense again because the coordinator didn't call a very damn good defense,'' LeBeau said.

Only two in the secondary defended for a possible pass, and there was no deep safety. Tebow hit Thomas on a quick slant over the middle that he turned into an 80-yard touchdown.

"Let me tell you something," LeBeau said. "Over the years I've made a lot of bad calls and I'm man enough to step up and say it and when a play ends the game, ends your season, that can't be a very good call."

He did not let his players off the hook, either.

"That's a big, talented wide receiver. The thing was, we have to get the guy on the ground. You're not going to stop every pass, but you got to tackle the catch and that's something we didn't do on that play and, consequently, we're talking about 2012 now."

And now, instead of Tebow, they're talking about Manning throwing to players such as Thomas, Eric Decker and Brandon Stokley. The Broncos also have a good ground game with Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno.

Some Steelers defenders spent more time preparing for the Broncos by watching old video of Manning's Colts. Larry Foote said the players have not watched video from their playoff loss in Denver.

"There's no need to watch it. It's a different system. You're not going to study what they don't run."

They're running the same offense Manning ran in Indianapolis, LeBeau said.

"Let me be the devil's advocate. If you had Peyton Manning, how much of a different offense would you put in? You're going to get Peyton Manning's offense."

And, yes, LeBeau has watched video of the playoff loss in Denver several times.

"You learn from your mistakes,'' he explained. "You look at it, you look at everything, This isn't a business where you stick your head in the sand and hope it gets better. ... And there is some carryover because the coaching staff hasn't changed. And the running game, I don't think the running game is going to change."

One thing may change, though. Don't look for too much of that plain, old "cover 9" call Sunday night.

"It wasn't a very good call,'' LeBeau said.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-playoff-loss-still-has-lebeau-talking-652231/#ixzz25quigz3N[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

players get beat on plays, that is just the way it is. for one thing, the game should have never been that close and the players should not have had to rely upon over time. if we were a good team we would have won. lebeau coached that defense as if tebow had no arms and the steelers paid for it. the broncos defense did enough to keep our offense from winning the game so give them credit too or blame the loss on our offense also.
    i see the broncos putting it to us again this sunday and now that they have peyton, it makes it even worse for us. our defense is and has been on the decline and some refuse to admit it.
    i also believe our offense could be the saving grace at times but, with that o-line it will never allow our passing game the time to be an elite score machine.

Rookie

User Info Menu

He said they were in what he called "cover 9," which others have called an "inverted cover 2." Basically, it was nine defenders crowded around the line of scrimmage to stop what they believed would be a running play on first down.

LeBeau was asked if the defense planned something on that play specifically because Tebow was at quarterback that they might not do against Manning.

"I doubt if we'd be in that particular defense again because the coordinator didn't call a very damn good defense,'' LeBeau said.

Only two in the secondary defended for a possible pass, and there was no deep safety. Tebow hit Thomas on a quick slant over the middle that he turned into an 80-yard touchdown.
    This isn't the first article that I've read about the inverted cover 2 alignment that was (mis)used on that play...

While Mundy played the defense as it was called, I think we can all agree that every DB will need to play better, especially Ike, if the Steelers are to win this game...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

by Mark Kaboly
    Sept. 7, 2012

Ike Taylor not happy with Stephen A. Smith's comments, and lets him know about it

ESPN First Take co-host Stephen A. Smith had some choice words about Ike Taylor on Friday that got a not-so-pleasant Twitter response from Ike Taylor. First, this is what Stephen A. Smith said on the show:

"Defensively is where the problem is with the Pittsburgh Steelers. First, you still have Ike Taylor in your secondary. I didn't know he was allowed back in the NFL after the way he performed against the Denver Broncos. A banishment is a worthy consideration. I say that jokingly because I am sure he is a good guy and all that stuff. But Ike Taylor, I am sorry babe, you don't know how much you let me down in that game with Tebow. It is going to be a long time before I get over that one because that was one of the most horrific performances by a cornerback that I've ever seen in NFL history."

Ike Taylor responded with a series of Tweets to Smith:

Ike Taylor ‏@Ike_SwagginU
    "#GOINGIN @stephenasmith do me a favor keep my NAME out of your mouth, I don't know if your ever played a down of football and dont really

Give two you know what's this is your second time saying something I've held back from saying something in training camp.NOW I feel like

You taking this too far, if you have a personal opinion about me tell that to me like a MAN. I have two sister, and mom my son and his mom

Too hear that BS your talking put your selfish in my position you F "N with my Money, and I don't like that. Im a straight up no BS MAN.

You have another opinion get at me or put a leash on your MOUTH... #SWURVE ...

[URL]http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/cc85f311-330c-4411-944b-5ea970225b9d/?source=twitter[/URL]

SAS has a big bully pulpit and and even bigger arrogance. Good for Ike, standing up (now do it in this game).

Legend

User Info Menu

BS! Mundy was out of position numerous times. If that's Clark, it's a different story. Ike was on an island and had ZERO safety help. Watch the replay.

mundy was up on the LOS before the ball was snapped

i put that on the play call