Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Art Modell dies

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Art Modell dies

    RIP, Art. They are referring to him as a "titan of the NFL." I know when you die, people tend to be nice after the fact. But was he really a "titan?" I say such labels are for people like Art Rooney, Papa Bear and Paul Brown. Art chased Paul Brown out of town. Art mostly floundered badly as an owner. When he signed Andre Rison, he had to go bank to bank in order to find someone who would loan him the $ he needed for the signing bonus. And how he left Cleveland was nearly criminal; what he did to those fans was clearly wrong on so many levels. But he did win a ring in Baltimore. So I guess he got over. RIP. RIP.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    RIP, Art. They are referring to him as a "titan of the NFL." I know when you die, people tend to be nice after the fact. But was he really a "titan?" I say such labels are for people like Art Rooney, Papa Bear and Paul Brown. Art chased Paul Brown out of town. Art mostly floundered badly as an owner. When he signed Andre Rison, he had to go bank to bank in order to find someone who would loan him the $ he needed for the signing bonus. And how he left Cleveland was nearly criminal; what he did to those fans was clearly wrong on so many levels. But he did win a ring in Baltimore. So I guess he got over. RIP. RIP.
    When considering the role that he played with the NFL, the merger, etc., I think that the term "titan" is fair...

    I might use the term "patron saint" for Rooney, Halas and/or Brown...not for Modell...

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    He's one of the old school owner guys I guess. I believe it was a slap to the city of Cleveland what he did but I heard he gave the city many chances for a deal to keep the team there providing they came up with a new stadium. Whatever the truth is and it doesn't matter to me one way or another sorry for him and his family and friends.

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    He's one of the old school owner guys I guess. I believe it was a slap to the city of Cleveland what he did but I heard he gave the city many chances for a deal to keep the team there providing they came up with a new stadium. Whatever the truth is and it doesn't matter to me one way or another sorry for him and his family and friends.
    So is the new Sig another one of your toy's?

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    So is the new Sig another one of your toy's?

    oh how i wish she was mrs. fezziwig
    Last edited by fezziwig; 09-06-2012 at 07:53 PM.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Well, Al Davis may have been the first to leverage a city - but knowing cleveland I wouldn't doubt for a second they were trying to nickel and dime Art Modell. If their offer had been remotely fair I seriously doubt he would have left. Still, he did - and that one act will overshadow everything else he ever did for the NFL and the browns. Karma sucks sometimes.
    [URL="http://s43.photobucket.com/user/stimko74/media/slpo9.jpeg.html"]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...o74/slpo9.jpeg[/URL]

    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I was watching ESPN today and they had a beat writer on the show from the Cleveland Plain Dealer...man, was he ever brutal when discussing the late Art Modell.

    he couldn't bring himself to say anything nice about Art Modell even though he had just passed on, Clevelanders have got to be some of the most bitter people in the world.

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I was watching ESPN today and they had a beat writer on the show from the Cleveland Plain Dealer...man, was he ever brutal when discussing the late Art Modell.

    he couldn't bring himself to say anything nice about Art Modell even though he had just passed on, Clevelanders have got to be some of the most bitter people in the world.
    Living in Cleveland, I can tell you that a good many of them are some seriously bitter and immature fans...

    Not all of them, by any means, but more than enough to ruin a moment of silence should the Browns elect to take the high road and have such an observance...and God forbid the ridicule his family would have to endure were he to be inducted posthumously in the Hall of Fame...Canton is awfully close to Cleveland and some of the jagoff fans would buy the ticket and take the drive just to be douchebags...

    Of course, it's easy for me as a Steeler fan to judge them...my team has the greatest ownership in professional sports and is Pittsburgh to the core...by contrast, Modell was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY...

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    more than enough to ruin a moment of silence should the Browns elect to take the high road and have such an observance.
    That would indeed be an awful and classless act...I really hope it doesn't come to that.


    NFL player locker room talk: Discussing what can be done about racial inequality and criminal justice reform.

    Presidential locker room talk: Discussing involuntary gynecological exams.

    According to the highest office in the country, some "very fine people" marched with torches in a violent protest in Charlottesville, but participating in a non-violent protest on a football field means you are an S.O.B. who should be fired.

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    No one should not make jeers or boos during the time of respect for Modell. It's not as if Bellicheat died or soemthing like that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •