Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers to Sign DeMarcus Van Dyke (CB)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TD386Steel View Post
    I agree and think its insane to cut a 3rd round pick with so much talent & potential, that didn't even get a training camp after his 1st year.
    Or he is the second coming of Ricardo Coclough

I'll stay optimistic and bet on Carnell Lake.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    That indeed may be the case, but there is history of players being released by one team and picked by another and the player flourishing, Jerome Bettis comes to mind. I'm not saying we're going to find a HOFer in Van Dyke, but until Lake and Lebeau get a chance to work him out and see what he can do I'll be guardedly optimistic.

Pappy
    bettis was traded

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    bettis was traded
    that is correct, the Steelers gave the Rams a 2nd and a 4th round draft choice for Bettis.

meanwhile, Van Dyke was released outright and passed through waivers without a single team claiming him.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Agreed...I think DVD is one of those guys Tomlinson likes because he has "things you can't teach".
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Agreed...I think DVD is one of those guys Tomlinson likes because he has "things you can't teach".
    so now you're calling Tomlin "son" too?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Raiders finish cleaning house at cornerback

By Eric Gilmore | CBSSports.com
    September 3, 2012

The Raiders completed their overhaul at cornerback Monday, releasing DeMarcus Van Dyke and signing free agent corner Joselio Hanson, who had been cut by Philadelphia.

Van Dyke was the last cornerback on the 53-man roster who played for the Raiders in 2011.
    During the offseason, they released starters Stanford Routt and Chris Johnson and let Lito Sheppard leave as a free agent. They cut cornerbacks Bryan McCann and Chimdi Chekwa on Saturday -- Chekwa was signed to the practice squad on Sunday.

The Raiders made it a clean cornerback sweep when they released Van Dyke, a third-round pick out of Miami last year.

“I think as things played out throughout OTAs, minicamp and in training camp, we felt like that was a position that we needed to try to upgrade, and we felt like with the players that we brought in here that it helps us as a team to be better,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said.

Offseason free agent pickups Ron Bartell (St. Louis) and Shawntae Spencer (San Francisco) are the new starters. The Raiders also added free agent Pat Lee (Green Bay) to the cornerback mix during the offseason. They claimed cornerback Coye Francois off waivers from Seattle on Wednesday and cornerback Phillip Adams off waivers from the Seahawks on Saturday.

“It's all about winning,” Raiders free safety Michael Huff said. “Nobody's safe. If you're not doing your job, they're going to get somebody better.”

Hanson played the past six seasons with Philadelphia, primarily as a slot corner in the nickel.

“I have so much experience in the slot it's like second nature to me now,” Hanson said. “I feel like you have to be real smart in the slot and you have to know formations. I use my quickness to my advantage in the slot. Have to be tough. Have to fill the run. Almost kind of like a linebacker, a slash linebacker DB.”

Hanson said the Seahawks and Dolphins showed interest, but he chose the Raiders because he wanted to play for a team in California -- he grew up in Southern California -- and he like's this team's potential.

“I'm happy, man. I'm back in California,” Hanson said. “I grew up in L.A. a Raider fan, so this is a dream come true. Have a lot of talent here on offense, a lot of talent on defense. They can plug me in, too. I just want to contribute whichever way I can and hopefully l learn this playbook real fast and I can play on Monday.”

Adams adds depth in the nickel, too, but he can also help as a punt returner. As a rookie for the 49ers in 2010, he returned a punt 83 yards for a touchdown. He returned four punts for 29 yards during the regular season that year and had been used by Seattle as a punt returner during this preseason.

“I'm just looking forward to the opportunity,” Adams said. “Happy I'm here. Just going to go out here and play hard. I'm just glad I'm here.”

The 49ers signed Adams in the seventh round in 2010. He's also spent time with the Patriots and Seahawks, so the Raiders are his fourth team, entering his third season.

“I don't think it's anything you get used to,” Adams said of changing teams. “I just think that you just keep on working. You just find a way to keep on working, getting better as a player. Hopefully a situation will be a good one for you. I think this one is. You want a place you call home.”

Van Dyke thought he'd found a home in Oakland when the Raiders drafted the speedster last year. But he struggled as a rookie and played poorly throughout much of this preseason.

“The NFL is not forgiving,” Bartell said. “It's always going to keep moving. It's not going to wait on any of us. You don't get used to seeing people come and go. No matter how long you play, it's not a pleasant part of the job. People put a lot into this. It's tough to see, especially younger guys who haven't had a full opportunity yet, it's tough to see them go. DVD's a talented young guy. He'll catch on somewhere.”

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20037976/raiders-finish-cleaning-house-at-cornerback[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Apparently he was playing lights out for the first 2 weeks of camp and then fell apart in preseason games.

That sounds an awful lot like Keenan Lewis in 2010. Along comes Carnell Lake and the light pops for Lewis.

It's been said that Rahim Moore played his best football for Carnell Lake at UCLA.

Let's hope Carnell does it again with Van Lesbian.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Apparently he was playing lights out for the first 2 weeks of camp and then fell apart in preseason games.

That sounds an awful lot like Keenan Lewis in 2010. Along comes Carnell Lake and the light pops for Lewis.

It's been said that Rahim Moore played his best football for Carnell Lake at UCLA.

Let's hope Carnell does it again with Van Lesbian.

It occurs to me that the guy who would have scouted DVD for the Raiders in 2011 was their DB coach at the time, one Roderick Woodson...Van Dyke was drafted, in part, due to Woodson's opinion of him...

Woodson was not retained by the Raiders, so it makes sense to me that the Raiders would cut ties with the players he brought in as well...

I would also imagine that there may have been some contact made, possibly by Carnell Lake himself, with Woodson regarding his firsthand experience in scouting and coaching Van Dyke...

Just a guess...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TD386Steel View Post
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJxlmk9WIBg&feature=related[/URL]
    Interesting that the first highlight in this clip compilation (the INT in the end zone and subsequent 75 yard runback) took place at Heinz Field. I also liked that many of the highlights were of him hitting people (so he's not just a soft speed demon type...he apparently doesn't mind getting his nose dirty, which is what he'll need to do, since #5 corners need to produce on special teams in order to stick around). Anyone know anything about his ST prowess while in Oakland?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I like this move! The Steelers needed additional depth at the CB position and this is obviously a player that they coveted last year in the draft and see potential in. He has good size and excellent speed. He will contribute immediately on special teams that had me concerned during the preseason as far as the coverage units. Plus, the guy is loaded with natural talent and if Carnell can coach him up he could be a major contributor. This is one of those guys that the Steelers will pull off the scrap heap and the Raiders will regret letting him go. Plus on a side note I was playing Madden last night and got to the Raiders game and the guy picked off Big Ben twice in the first half. I thought to myself.....well that has to be a good sign, either that our I just suck!!! LOL
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>