Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger: I’ll miss a game if my wife goes into labor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger: I’ll miss a game if my wife goes into labor

My devotion to my kids runs far deeper than my devotion to the Steelers...I would support Ben 100% on this decision if this happens.

Ben Roethlisberger: I’ll miss a game if my wife goes into labor
    Posted by Michael David Smith on September 6, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s wife is pregnant, and he says that if she goes into labor on a game day, he’s missing the game.

Roethlisberger said in an interview on Wednesday, and reiterated in a post on his personal website on Thursday, that if he is forced to choose, he will choose being there for the birth of his son over being with the Steelers.

“I’m not missing the birth of my child,” Roethlisberger told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “There’s no chance. I know some fans probably don’t want to hear that, but there’s no chance.”

If Roethlisberger chooses to miss a game for the birth of his child, he won’t be the first NFL player to do so. In 1993, Houston Oilers offensive tackle David Williams skipped a Sunday game because his wife gave birth the night before, and the Oilers were furious: They docked him his game check, and Oilers offensive line coach Bob Young said that he had personally skipped the birth of his own child for a football game and was outraged that Williams wouldn’t do the same, saying of Williams, “He let the guys down, and he let hundreds of thousands of fans down.”

The culture of the NFL and of American society has changed enough in two decades that Roethlisberger probably won’t face such a harsh denunciation if he does miss a game. But Roethlisberger said he and his wife — who have declined to reveal publicly when she’s due — are going to attempt to make it work so that she doesn’t give birth on a day the Steelers are playing.

“We’ll do everything we can to make sure it doesn’t happen,” Roethlisberger said.

But if it does happen, either Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch will be starting at quarterback for the Steelers that day. Because Roethlisberger has decided that he’s going to prioritize being a husband and father over being a quarterback.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/06/ben-roethlisberger-ill-miss-a-game-if-my-wife-goes-into-labor/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

What if she's due on SuperBowl Sunday?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    What if she's due on SuperBowl Sunday?
    Then you induce a week prior...

The baby would still be full-term and, provided that both mother and child are healthy, all will live happily ever after...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Then you induce a week prior...

The baby would still be full-term and, provided that both mother and child are healthy, all will live happily ever after...
    Good point. Then why not induce on a Tuesday so Ben doesn't have to miss a game?

Legend

User Info Menu

Good point. Then why not induce on a Tuesday so Ben doesn't have to miss a game?
    We’ll do everything we can to make sure it doesn’t happen,” Roethlisberger said.

I gurantee this kid's not being born on a Sunday. Barring complications -It's already scheduled. A C-section is no big deal. My wife had one. Quick cut and then a kid.

Legend

User Info Menu

Inducing a birth is not suppose to be a convenience matter. It should be for medical needs and it is not risk free.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Inducing a birth is not suppose to be a convenience matter. It should be for medical needs and it is not risk free.
    Neither are C Sections, but that doesn't stop people from scheduling them for convenience...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My wife poops out kids like they are going out of style and most of them look like me. Can I get a week's vacation?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    My wife poops out kids like they are going out of style and most of them look like me. Can I get a week's vacation?
    That sounds vaguely like a threat that my father used to use:

"I could kill you right now, then go inside and make one that looks just like you. Remember that."

Ah, memories....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    LOL! I hate when my wife poops out kids.
    Trolls are people too.