Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Name Keenan Lewis a Starter; Cortez Allen Ready as Well

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Name Keenan Lewis a Starter; Cortez Allen Ready as Well

Steelers Name Lewis a Starter; Allen Ready as Well

By Kyle Curry on September 4, 2012

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin has named Keenan Lewis the starting cornerback opposite Ike Taylor. Lewis entered training camp as the starter, but faced stiff competition with second years corners Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown both eyeing his job. During camp Lewis suffered a shoulder injury, but refusing to let his starting job slip away he played through the injury and never conceeded the starting job to Allen.

Curtis Brown was also hoping to make a move for the starting job, but some inconsistent play during the pre-season landed him in the fourth spot on the depth chart. Cortez Allen, on the other hand, did everything he could to take the starting job, but Lewis played equally as well and held him off. Had Lewis slipped up at all Allen would have had a chance to unseat him, but strong play from both corners kept them in their spots when the final depth chart was released.

Although Allen was unable to win the starting job he will be seeing plenty of playing time as the third cornerback. He also provides the Steelers with one third of their furture cornerback core. Allen, Brown, and Lewis are almost as good as their offensive counterparts, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Emmanuel Sanders. If the Steelers can keep their young groups of wide receivers and corners together into the future they should have plenty of continued success on both sides of the ball for years to come.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_name_lewis_a_starter_allen_ready_as_well/11630443[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Best situation talent wise we have had at CB in a very long time. I can't recall the last time we had four players as talented as Taylor, Allen, Brown and Lewis.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Lewis or Allen is okay by me. I probably would have placed Allen over Lewis for the reason of, hasnt Lewis caused his share of problems with his temper during the times he has played as a backup ? Anyway, seems like this position on the team is becoming a strength with some quality backups on the rise.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Lewis or Allen is okay by me. I probably would have placed Allen over Lewis for the reason of, hasnt Lewis caused his share of problems with his temper during the times he has played as a backup ? Anyway, seems like this position on the team is becoming a strength with some quality backups on the rise.
    Wish we could say the same about the Safety position.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I hope that this is true. I posted in another thread about my concerns in the back field on D. Something about Lewis makes me hold my breath. I just can't go all in on him.

I really hope he proves me wrong.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Wish we could say the same about the Safety position.
    How about Robert Golden?

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Legend

User Info Menu

Lewis has never gotten love from this community, but the guy can play ball. It just took a bit for the light to come on. What he showed last season was nothing short of very solid.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDSteeler View Post
    How about Robert Golden?

JD
    IMO, Golden is going to be a special safety in the NFL. He has that it factor. I would be very curious to see him in a live, regular season game.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Lewis has never gotten love from this community, but the guy can play ball. It just took a bit for the light to come on. What he showed last season was nothing short of very solid.
    What love did we deny him ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Best situation talent wise we have had at CB in a very long time. I can't recall the last time we had four players as talented as Taylor, Allen, Brown and Lewis.
    I generally agree, though I'm not as sold on Brown. He has the ability to be a special teams ace, but I haven't seen enough from him in coverage yet.

I think Lewis will be, at the very least, a solid starting corner, and I still think that Allen has the most upside of the group.