Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Newest from Everyone's favorite villain, Mark Madden

Legend

User Info Menu

The Newest from Everyone's favorite villain, Mark Madden

Sports Illustrated football guru Peter King says the Steelers will go 8-8 and finish third in the AFC North behind Baltimore and Cincinnati.

Sounds about right.

Black and gold blinders often keep Pittsburgh from seeing the Steelers as they really are. That can make a fall all the more disappointing. The Steelers are an extremely flawed, frayed and fragile team propped up by the best money quarterback in football, but not much else.

James Harrison is among the best outside linebackers in football. But he might not play very much.

Troy Polamalu is among the best safeties in football. But his breakneck style and accrued wear and tear mean the end comes sooner, not later.

Nose tackle is a critical position in the Steelers’ 3-4 defense. Casey Hampton is close to his expiration date.

The problems are many. Some are great. Inexperience at corner opposite Ike Taylor. Ziggy Hood regressed last season. The top half of the 2012 draft class got blown up. David Johnson is out for the year; so much for resurrecting the fullback position. Running back lacks tenure and pedigree.

When you pile it all together, anything better than .500 seems a bit of a reach. The Steelers are beat up already, and the regular season hasn’t yet started.

But Ben Roethlisberger gives the Steelers a shot at the playoffs, the division, postseason success, the Super Bowl, just about anything. Mike Wallace is back, the deep threat, the cherry on top of an excellent receiving corps. David DeCastro’s injury depletes the offensive line, but if Willie Colon stays healthy, he’s a major upgrade.

There’s not necessarily more bad than good, but there’s much more shaky than certain.

It comes down to Roethlisberger. Can he, at 30, find another gear as he enters what should be his prime? Will new offensive coordinator Todd Haley spotlight Roethlisberger and help Wallace chase Larry Fitz money, or lean on Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer by way of appeasing Art Rooney II? "Look, granddaddy, we run the ball!"

Hopefully, Roethlisberger shoulders the burden. If the Steelers lose, he’s going to get blamed no matter how much he’s asked to do, so let him drive the bus.

Speaking of which, can Dwyer wrest the top running back job (or at least significant carries) from Redman? He’s a bit more bruising, a bit more in the Steelers mold. He’s got a bit more pedigree, too: Georgia Tech vs. Bowie State.

Running the ball is crucial from one standpoint: The less that creaky Steelers defense is on the field, the better.

Of all the potential negatives, Harrison’s condition is paramount. Without an effective pass rush, this version of the Steel Curtain really isn’t too difficult to deal with.

Here’s betting Harrison is sidelined more than he plays. Uh-oh.

The AFC North may work in the Steelers’ favor. The Ravens are as old and shopworn as the Steelers, especially at key positions, and their quarterback isn’t as good. Whatever it is the Bengals never had, they still haven’t got.

It’s a crapshoot. But given the early injury concerns and a defense that’s fragile in every sense of the word, 8-8 is my call. Mike Tomlin likes to say “the standard is the standard,” but you can’t sprinkle black and gold pixie dust on Chris Carter and turn him into Harrison.

If the Steelers do miss the playoffs (or go one and done), it’s time for some very hard personnel decisions. Do you risk keeping ‘em too long, or risk ditching ‘em too early?

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

[url]http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/in-ben-steelers-trust/article_f872ce0b-730d-58f0-9080-c23082d29ed2.html[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

I swear these media types copy from the same script. "Too old, too injured, not your same Steelers a year ago".....

News flash: what team in the league doesn't have flaws? Green Bay is propped up by an elite QB, but have a defense ranked at the bottom. Same with NE. Baltimore is Sugg-less and their OL is almost as big a train wreck as the Steelers. Dallas has a talentless in the secondary.
    I suppose if one predicts often enough that the sun won't rise in the morning, eventually that prediction may someday come true. The thing is we probably won't be around to witness it.... same with the sudden demise of the Steelers.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 09-03-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Some teams are old some young. But they all can have just as many injuries that cripple chances. Same complaints here. Periodically correct due to randomness. So they continue.

Legend

User Info Menu

Same old "hate talk" from the idiot Madden.

The only thing he said that rings true is:

Without an effective pass rush, this version of the Steel Curtain really isn’t too difficult to deal with.
    LeBeau had better find the blitz again and realize that it means more than Woodley or Harrison because the league has that figured out. If it is the same as he did last season then we will be in trouble.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

He's all over the place. What a load of garbage.

He agrees with Peter King that we'll finish behind Baltimore and Cinci. But, "the AFC North may work in the Steelers’ favor. The Ravens are as old and shopworn as the Steelers, especially at key positions, and their quarterback isn’t as good. Whatever it is the Bengals never had, they still haven’t got."

We're going to to 8-8 but, "But Ben Roethlisberger gives the Steelers a shot at the playoffs, the division, postseason success, the Super Bowl, just about anything." Way to go out on a limb there.

Hopefully Ben shoulders the burden. But running the ball is crucial to keep the defense off the field.

The way he wrote this article, no matter what happens, he can claim he was right. Sound like a certain poster on a different and lonely forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    He's all over the place. What a load of garbage.

He agrees with Peter King that we'll finish behind Baltimore and Cinci. But, "the AFC North may work in the Steelers’ favor. The Ravens are as old and shopworn as the Steelers, especially at key positions, and their quarterback isn’t as good. Whatever it is the Bengals never had, they still haven’t got."

We're going to to 8-8 but, "But Ben Roethlisberger gives the Steelers a shot at the playoffs, the division, postseason success, the Super Bowl, just about anything." Way to go out on a limb there.

Hopefully Ben shoulders the burden. But running the ball is crucial to keep the defense off the field.

The way he wrote this article, no matter what happens, he can claim he was right. Sound like a certain poster on a different and lonely forum.
    It is typical Madden garbage. His "gimmick" is to be the local sportscaster who criticizes the local teams. For whatever reason it works because there are enough idiots in Pittsburgh listening that they keep him on. The problem with what he says is that he just makes up crap or paraphrases what others say. Any of a dozen posters on this board could provide more informed sports commentary than he does.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hey makes his living by pizzing off Steeler fans. Why engage that nonsense?

I believe there are some key areas where we have improved, and others where we have digressed either through injury or age. And while I don't see the Bengals getting any love...they are definately a team on the up. So, saying the Steelers could come in third is not out of the question...while I believe it to be unlikely.

1) A healthy Ben is HUGE...and he wasn't healthy most of last season. I suspect with Haley...Ben will have the biggest season of his career if he can stay healthy.

2) OL...even with the injury to DeCastro...MUCH improved. I believe Colon will be a pro bowl caliber guard. Gilbert will take time to warm up...but I see no reason he should digress this season. Starks being back is HUGE. Pouncey is elite. Foster is the only weak link and I think he is more than serviceable. That certainly beats our patch work line of last season...which will help Ben stay healthy and will break open the running game.

3) I believe we have the best 4 WRs in the NFL...Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery...that is tough. Adding Rainey to that mix...is just stupid with talent and speed.

4) While Mendenhall is hurt, I actually think the run game will be much improved by better OL play, and hopefully a better system. If Dwyer can stay healthy he could have a huge season.

5) On D...the DL might be young but it's briming with talent. Hood, Keisel, Heyward, McLendon, Hampton...great combo of youth with savvy veteran leadership. I consider the DL the strength of this D.

6) The LBrs are a major concern. If Woodley is healthy he should have a big year. Allowing Timmons to play ILB will certainly help him to have a pro bowl season...but Foote is not the solution...Spence getting injured was huge...and can Harrison stay on the field? Lots of questions and concerns.

7) Troy is starting to show his age...Clark has never been more than serviceable. Our safeties are a concern.
    DBs...I actually think this is a strength. Lewis has shown me that he can be very solid....Ike is Ike...Allen looks like he could be the real deal. I'm very excited about our DBs this season.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I could objectively and expertly evaluate talent - I wouldn't be typing here, I'd be in my NFL office. Like most I think madden is an idiot who says things just to get a response. he's a 'shock jock', nothing more - although it gets him appearances on NFL 'top ten' broadcasts.

from my amateur viewpoint, I am cautiously optimistic about the season. For reasons I can't pinpoint I sense this will be a 10-6 season. The O-line is better, but unproven. The defense has a nice mix of young/experienced so there is potential there - let's see if it's realized. combine that with the first year of a new OC and I think it translates into 10 wins and a wildcard berth.

but what do I know? I'm typing from my house, not the south side........
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    If I could objectively and expertly evaluate talent - I wouldn't be typing here, I'd be in my NFL office. Like most I think madden is an idiot who says things just to get a response. he's a 'shock jock', nothing more - although it gets him appearances on NFL 'top ten' broadcasts.

from my amateur viewpoint, I am cautiously optimistic about the season. For reasons I can't pinpoint I sense this will be a 10-6 season. The O-line is better, but unproven. The defense has a nice mix of young/experienced so there is potential there - let's see if it's realized. combine that with the first year of a new OC and I think it translates into 10 wins and a wildcard berth.

but what do I know? I'm typing from my house, not the south side........
    I agree but I'm going one better at 11-5. IMO the Ravens are way overrated and they lost their best player on defense. The Bumgals need a whole lot to go right for them. Do they even have a running game?

I think we will win the AFC North but we shouldn't kid ourseleves. Our defense is getting thin at LB and Safety. We got way to comfoortable with the players we have had for awhile. One serious injury at either or both and it could cost us three more games.

Legend

User Info Menu

I actually wouldn't have such an issue with Madden being a "shock jock" if he said something and stuck with it. But he didn't say anything. He didn't try to convince us of anything. He basicaly just said, "The Steelers could suck. But they could be good. Or they could be great.".