Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post

Not to argue with GG (his observations of Mendy's running style ring true with me), but ...
    I have cringed when our RB's, Mendy or anyone, has had to run behind an Offensive Line that mostly only offended Steeler tradition and fans and professional-level play, and had to run in an offense managed by a coordinator who de-emphasized practicing the run game which helped to make it even less effective than it could have been. In that context, I think Mendy has been a very effective RB and is under-appreciated. BTW, I remember criticisms of Franco Harris for avoiding hits, running out-of-bounds instead of fighting for the extra yard, etc. Last I knew, Franco had a reasonably long and effective career and is in the HOF.
    Duke, I agree that having to run behind a porous OL the past couple if seasons, surely hasn't helped his efforts and my mention of the classic smashmouth running style, that many have been begging to see instituted once more, is an assertion that I do not share. My observation is that when Mendy returns to the line up, he does so with mechanics elevated and ball protection at the forefront of his mind. Maybe the plays ran under the BS regime were too slow in developing and Haley's bag of tricks will increase his production? Don't know... But last year it seemed he couldnt hit the holes created fast enough and that's when he got cute with his Dancing with the Stars routine. Just hate it when he gets cute back there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Roy (not Ray) Helu ran 151 times for 640 yards at a 4.2 avg. RM had a 4.1 apc - virtually the same. And rushing the ball on the dead skin team would be more difficult than rushing as a Steeler. What weapons did the skins have to keep defenses honest? Who did they have throwing the ball? Rex Freakin Grossman?

Now, one valid point that I had forgot is that TH tore up his knee as well. After considering that, probably not worth picking him up, since we have our own back in the same situation. And it looks like TH re-hurt his knee. They rushed him back too quickly. I hate when they do that.
    I stand corrected. Helu is not relevant enough for me to have learned his first name yet.

Legend

User Info Menu

Roy (not Ray) Helu ran 151 times for 640 yards at a 4.2 avg. RM had a 4.1 apc - virtually the same.
    If 4.1and4.2 are virtually the same then Ray is close enough to Roy just saying

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY GOUK View Post
    Don't know... But last year it seemed he couldnt hit the holes created fast enough and that's when he got cute with his Dancing with the Stars routine. Just hate it when he gets cute back there.
    Totally agree. That and the fact that he never breaks that last tackle to take it to the house is frustrating. I have tried to give RM every chance but there is just something missing with this guy. It's like he plays smaller than he is. I don't think he likes the physicality of the NFL. He never has.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    You know who has a 4.5 YpC avg. for the Steelers? Isaac Redman...
    Because of a limited amount of carries. You give him 20 carries a game and that apc will come down.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    or maybe you just talk out of both sides of your mouth as long as it fits your agenda on dwyer.

yeah, I'm going with that one.
    You go with whatever simple view of the world that makes you comfortable. God bless. I don't think you have the ability to grasp the concept that not everything is mutually exclusive. And that's OK. Fact is, RM does stutter step and spin too much for the NFL. The other fact is IR running style is going to get him injured a lot. Both are true. It's OK if you can't maintain both assertions at the same time.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Because of a limited amount of carries. You give him 20 carries a game and that apc will come down.
    Or maybe not...

In the two games where he carried the ball the most, in Cleveland and in Denver, he averaged 4.8 yards per carry and 7.1 yards per carry...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

indeed
    when life is as simple as black and gold, it is wonderful

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    indeed
    when life is as simple as black and gold, it is wonderful
    Some truth to that.