Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Hightower

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I would be fairly surprised if RM was productive by Sept. That seems pretty quick to recover from an ACL. Maybe there have been advances in technology or something. RM ran like a wussy before his injury. What can we expect of him after a serious knee injury? Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised, but I have a hard time believing RM will be productive so soon.
    Adrian Peterson tore his ACL a week before Mendenhall (Mendenhall's injury was on New Year's Day, and Peterson's injury was on Christmas Eve). Right now, Peterson is 50-50 to start week one. Judging by the fact that Mendenhall was in uniform last night, I figure that Mendenhall isn't too far behind Peterson in terms of their rehab.

As for Mendenhall running like a "wussy" and Dwyer being the best RB we have...you do realize that Mendenhall has nearly 4000 yards of total offense and 30 touchdowns on his resume, right? Dwyer's has 151 rushing yards in his entire career, while Mendenhall has 3 single games with at least that many rushing yards (151 against Buffalo on 11-28-10, 155 against Denver on 11-9-09, and 165 against San Diego on 10-4-09).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Adrian Peterson tore his ACL a week before Mendenhall (Mendenhall's injury was on New Year's Day, and Peterson's injury was on Christmas Eve). Right now, Peterson is 50-50 to start week one. Judging by the fact that Mendenhall was in uniform last night, I figure that Mendenhall isn't too far behind Peterson in terms of their rehab.

As for Mendenhall running like a "wussy" and Dwyer being the best RB we have...you do realize that Mendenhall has nearly 4000 yards of total offense and 30 touchdowns on his resume, right? Dwyer's has 151 rushing yards in his entire career, while Mendenhall has 3 single games with at least that many rushing yards (151 against Buffalo on 11-28-10, 155 against Denver on 11-9-09, and 165 against San Diego on 10-4-09).
    Mendenhall is far better than many give him credit for. Fortunately the organization sees that and that is what matters.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Dale Lolley thinks that Dwyer may get the start in Denver, giving 3rd down and short yardage roles to Redman...
    Dwyer earned it and is the more complete RB
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know the numbers do not lie, but I just cringe when Mendy is in the backfield. I would surmise that this is how it is with most Steeler fans who are so acclimated to our historic style of smashmouth football. Though Mendy's dimensions surely dictate that he can wrap his mitts around the rock, protect it and run north/south. But seems to enjoy spinning, dancing, and cradling the ball low and in one hand tucked only in his forearm, thus very prone to being stripped. Opposing defenses know this and are ready to assist Mendy in continuing his fumbling ways. That being said, I wish the RB coach really work with him on this particular weakness so he can be asset once more.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY GOUK View Post
    I know the numbers do not lie, but I just cringe when Mendy is in the backfield. I would surmise that this is how it is with most Steeler fans who are so acclimated to our historic style of smashmouth football. Though Mendy's dimensions surely dictate that he can wrap his mitts around the rock, protect it and run north/south. But seems to enjoy spinning, dancing, and cradling the ball low and in one hand tucked only in his forearm, thus very prone to being stripped. Opposing defenses know this and are ready to assist Mendy in continuing his fumbling ways. That being said, I wish the RB coach really work with him on this particular weakness so he can be asset once more.

Not to argue with GG (his observations of Mendy's running style ring true with me), but ...
    I have cringed when our RB's, Mendy or anyone, has had to run behind an Offensive Line that mostly only offended Steeler tradition and fans and professional-level play, and had to run in an offense managed by a coordinator who de-emphasized practicing the run game which helped to make it even less effective than it could have been. In that context, I think Mendy has been a very effective RB and is under-appreciated. BTW, I remember criticisms of Franco Harris for avoiding hits, running out-of-bounds instead of fighting for the extra yard, etc. Last I knew, Franco had a reasonably long and effective career and is in the HOF.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Dwyer earned it and is the more complete RB
    earned it how?

redman has shown what he can do in the regular season and playoffs, not just against camp fodder or vets going half ass in pre season

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post

Not to argue with GG, but ...
    Why is he still GG? Lent was over ages ago...

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't see Hightower as an upgrade at all. Look at the guys he couldn't beat out in D.C. Ray Helu? Alfred Morris? Sorry, if he can't make that team, he probably will not be of much help in Pittsburgh.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

AP's knee was far worse than JD's too. I think it's kind of crazy to rush him back.

Of course RM's had far more yards, that's because he PLAYED. He got the bulk of the carries. RM is a FIRST ROUND PICK. JD would have gone undrafted if Pgh didn't take him. What you assert is HISTORY. The past is not a certain indicator of the FUTURE. They say it takes TWO years to really, fully come back all the way from an ACL. We will see.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I don't see Hightower as an upgrade at all. Look at the guys he couldn't beat out in D.C. Ray Helu? Alfred Morris? Sorry, if he can't make that team, he probably will not be of much help in Pittsburgh.
    Roy (not Ray) Helu ran 151 times for 640 yards at a 4.2 avg. RM had a 4.1 apc - virtually the same. And rushing the ball on the dead skin team would be more difficult than rushing as a Steeler. What weapons did the skins have to keep defenses honest? Who did they have throwing the ball? Rex Freakin Grossman?

Now, one valid point that I had forgot is that TH tore up his knee as well. After considering that, probably not worth picking him up, since we have our own back in the same situation. And it looks like TH re-hurt his knee. They rushed him back too quickly. I hate when they do that.

The Washington Post believes Tim Hightower's release was due to the health of his knee.
    Hightower, just 10 months removed from an ACL tear, played reasonably well in the third preseason game. Afterward, however, pain flared up and he was noticeably limping just a few days later. Hightower isn't going to attract any attention on the open market until he proves his knee is ready to go. Sep. 1 - 10:56 am et
    Source: Washington Post