Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rainey was a steal in the 5th round!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    And

Shallow, frankly disrespectful words attached to many of the players. Look deeper; there are many variables and explanations why some make it and some do not, injuries, coaching, personal problems, immaturity, etc. If all these guys "made it", our roster would have to be about 175 players. It's the intense competition to "make it" in the league that makes NFL football such high quality.
    So, how many of these players went on to make other teams' rosters? Almost none of them. If they were good picks, some of them would make other teams' rosters. If anything, Pgh is known for poor draft picks in the 2nd half of the draft. Colbert is infamous for misses after the 3rd round. Am I saying Pgh should find hits with every draft pick? Of course not. I am just accurately detailing that they are not more wise than other teams come rounds 4,5, and 6.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    So, how many of these players went on to make other teams' rosters? Almost none of them. If they were good picks, some of them would make other teams' rosters. If anything, Pgh is known for poor draft picks in the 2nd half of the draft. Colbert is infamous for misses after the 3rd round. Am I saying Pgh should find hits with every draft pick? Of course not. I am just accurately detailing that they are not more wise than other teams come rounds 4,5, and 6.
    So then, what is your definition of success?

The fact that Steelers' draft picks through rounds 4-7 don't catch on with other teams is hardly shocking...

Most NFL teams would give an opportunity for their own draft picks to make the team before taking late round draft picks from other teams...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    So then, what is your definition of success?

The fact that Steelers' draft picks through rounds 4-7 don't catch on with other teams is hardly shocking...

Most NFL teams would give an opportunity for their own draft picks to make the team before taking late round draft picks from other teams...
    True, but assertions made of those who claimed those picks didn't stick only because this team was so good no longer holds water; if these players were so good and just didn't stick to PS roster because the team was so good, they would still end up on other teams' rosters, regardless, if they were such great draft picks. Fact is, Pgh is not better at later draft picks than any other teams, which was asserted earlier. I am merely factually illustrating that that is not true. Those later picks of Pgh jumped around.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FPimCmbX8[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm just very glad I'm not a Raiders fan...

Raiders pulling plug on 2011 third-round pick

Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2012

As Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie continues to settle in as the new captain of the team’s front office, he’s not afraid to overturn the decisions of his predecessor, the late Al Davis.

Per a league source, McKenzie and company will be waiving today cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke.

Van Dyke, a third-round pick in 2011 who appeared in 14 games with four starts last year, fit the former vision for the franchise. He was fast. The fastest man at last year’s Scouting Combine, running the 40-yard dash in 4.28 seconds.

The move comes two days after the Raiders and McKenzie parted ways with cornerback Chimdi Chekwa, a fourth-round pick in 2011 who ran the 40 in 4.33 seconds at the Combine. Both Chekwa and Van Dyke are listed as second-team corners in the Raiders’ most recent depth chart, with Shawntae Spencer and Ron Bartell the starters. Joselio Hanson recently was added to the team, which apparently triggered the decision to dump Van Dyke.

Van Dyke will now hit the waiver wire, with the Colts continuing to have dibs.

The broader message is that McKenzie must see something in the player the team took in the third round of the 2011 supplemental draft, quarterback Terrelle Pryor. Otherwise, he’d be gone, too.

Then again, who knows what the next move from McKenzie will be?

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/03/raiders-pulling-plug-on-2011-third-round-pick/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Al was infatuated with pure speed. And it's not the dumbest thing to value, ever, but he went a little overboard. The reason I would be glad not to be Raider fan is the DeMarcus Russell debacle. When you F up that bad, on the #1 over all pick, you set your franchise back years and years. What a colossal F up.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Back to the original post, why did Rainey last until the late 5th round? I know he's not an every down RB, we all get that. But considering what else he brings to the table, how did so many teams miss out on grabbing him at least by the 4th round? Isn't even a great return man worth taking in the 4th, even if that's all they do? He is going to make splash play after splash play for Pgh. That is becoming obvious.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post

No, you did not accurately detail any comparison, in part because you gave no information about other teams drafts. Your summary of the players reflects opinions you have but almost no objective measurable facts. The Steelers, fielding a team based highly upon the draft, have been nearly annually a playoff team. That presents an effective draft record overall, and that becomes the proof that matters most to me as a fan. I'd choose to focus on the success, which the Steelers have provided abundantly, relying highly upon the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

just watching the carolina game now and bruce campbell is playing LT

a raiders 2010 4th round pick

Legend

User Info Menu

According to the Steelers’ depth chart, rookie Chris Rainey is the primary kickoff and punt returner after having a pair of long punt returns in a six-minute span wiped out by penalties. Rainey averaged 22 yards on three kickoff returns and 8.7 yards on seven punt returns during the preseason.

— Alan Robinson

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2529697-85/harrison-steelers-captains-captain-knee-punt-returns-chris-denver-isn#ixzz25S22i819[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post

No, you did not accurately detail any comparison, in part because you gave no information about other teams drafts. Your summary of the players reflects opinions you have but almost no objective measurable facts. The Steelers, fielding a team based highly upon the draft, have been nearly annually a playoff team. That presents an effective draft record overall, and that becomes the proof that matters most to me as a fan. I'd choose to focus on the success, which the Steelers have provided abundantly, relying highly upon the draft.
    The players noted as busts never played any significant time and found their way out of the NFL in 1-2 years. Ummm, that's pretty objective to me. Just saying "they make the play offs each year so they must draft well in the later rounds" is totally illogical and myopic.