Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
The players noted as busts never played any significant time and found their way out of the NFL in 1-2 years. Ummm, that's pretty objective to me. Just saying "they make the play offs each year so they must draft well in the later rounds" is totally illogical and myopic.
Generally speaking, the Steelers nailed pretty much every first round pick since they screwed the pooch with Troy Edwards in 1999...now, there have been varying degrees of success, of course...not every player is going to be a Troy Polamalu or a Ben Roethlisberger...the fact that they have drafted so well in round 1 is especially noteworthy because they generally choose at a later draft position than most other teams...

Think of the 49ers, for example...they have built a terrific defense, but mostly through expending high draft picks...the high picks were available due to years of sucking...

Now, the Steelers may not draft better overall in the late rounds than other teams, but they certainly do not draft any worse, either...I submit that the true way of measuring how successfully the Steelers draft in the late rounds is not how many draft picks make onto other teams, but how those late round picks perform for the Steelers...

When I have time, I will research the rosters of other teams, but looking just at starting lineups, I would have to say that the Steelers' late round draft picks are at least comparable with other teams:

Offense - Willie Colon (4th round), Antonio Brown (6th round - Pro Bowl), Isaac Redman (UDFA) or Jonathan Dwyer (6th round)

Defense - Brett Keisel (7th round - Pro Bowl), Larry Foote (4th round), James Harrison (UDFA - DPOY), Ike Taylor (4th round)