Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Get ready to disagree with me.....

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think the FO made the correct choices for the 53. While JJ did look good during preseason he has no 'experience' in regulation play. I do hope he makes it to the PS but we'll see. Here we go!
    "Let's see...who do we play next Sunday?"

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e152/dart5219/BeliCheat.jpg

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hate to agree with the FO and coaches on this one, but the QB'S on the final roster wee the right choices. Hate it because (I'm prepared to get blasted by you all with the elevated football acumen) I think Lefty is an immobile Tim Tebow with better accuracy. That wind up is horrific.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY GOUK View Post
    I hate to agree with the FO and coaches on this one, but the QB'S on the final roster wee the right choices. Hate it because (I'm prepared to get blasted by you all with the elevated football acumen) I think Lefty is an immobile Tim Tebow with better accuracy. That wind up is horrific.
    The wind up is partly why it is a given he is going to get hurt if he plays 1-2 games. He sits there and winds his windmill up and has to take shot right in his grill because it takes so long to get rid of it. Why didn't the Jags realize this before they used a high draft pick on this guy? No one noticed his release took 10 seconds?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

My QB Assessment:

Ben (Starter - no questions there).

Byron and Charlie - Basically I believe you have 1 1/2 incredible back-up Quarterbacks here. Both are very familiar with their surroundings, and I'm guessing both are relatively comfortable with their role on the team. However both are very injury prone -- especially what has been a horrible offensive line for the Steelers over the past several seasons.

I think both Byron and Charlie give you the best shot at contending all year (behind Ben of course).

My guess is that Jerrod Johnson goes to the practice squad - and if they resign Leftwich (because he's younger in the off-season) -- I believe the Steelers will tell Charlie that he should announce his retirement (as a Steeler) and they can bring in Johnson and another young arm to compete for the third spot next season.

While I believe that Jerrod has potential -- he did go undrafted this season, and there are more proven QB's out there if a another team desperately needs a back-up. Dennis Dixon is still available, and he's got better starting potential than Jerrod does at this time (IMO).

We've got a great QB situation --- perhaps the best in the NFL. It's a Vet. group who understands that we're not building for the future, we're playing for it all right now.

L.B.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would pick Charlie Batch over JJ. I did not see anything exceptional from JJ in pre-season to unseat Charlie. JJ is better than DD though.

Charlie Batch and Byron gives Steelers best chance to win behind Ben.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT