Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I were GM, my #5 WR is on the Rams roster

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I were GM, my #5 WR is on the Rams roster

Both Austin Pettis (3rd round) and Greg Salas (4th round) were drafted by the Rams last year and had 27 catches each as rookies. Both are big guys who are now on the outside looking in. I would happily take either as our 5th WR as cuts are made.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Both Austin Pettis (3rd round) and Greg Salas (4th round) were drafted by the Rams last year and had 27 catches each as rookies. Both are big guys who are now on the outside looking in. I would happily take either as our 5th WR as cuts are made.
    Greg Salas was a stud at the University of Hawaii, would love to see him be our #5 WR but he is kinda slow...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Greg Salas was a stud at the University of Hawaii, would love to see him be our #5 WR but he is kinda slow...
    We've got speed. We lack size. Although some say Salas may stick around as he was just getting it going last year when he broke his leg in week 9. Pettis was my crush of the draft last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Good call...I liked both of those guys as potential targets in that draft.

Both might be available if St. Louis keep these 5 wideouts instead: Danny Amendola, Brandon Gibson, Brian Quick, Chris Givens, and Steve Smith (not the one on the sidelines at Heinz tonight...the other one who used to play in the NFC East).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Good call...I liked both of those guys as potential targets in that draft.

Both might be available if St. Louis keep these 5 wideouts instead: Danny Amendola, Brandon Gibson, Brian Quick, Chris Givens, and Steve Smith (not the one on the sidelines at Heinz tonight...the other one who used to play in the NFC East).

That's what I'm thinking...obviously Amendola and Quick (2nd round pick this year) make the team. Everything I've read says Brandon Gibson is being kept. Givens was the 1st pick the 4th round this year so he has a huge advantage in hanging on. And steve smith has proven himself as a very reliable target.

VERY possible that both Salas and Pettis are cut...and more as a numbers game than a lack of skill.

Legend

User Info Menu

By Ryan Wilson

Rams rookie wide receiver Austin Pettis has been suspended four games without pay for violating NFL rules on performance-enhancing substances, according to CBSSports.com Rapid Reporter Ron Clements. This will keep him out of the Rams' two remaining 2011 regular-season games against the Steelers and 49ers, as well as the first two games of 2012.

“Austin’s situation is unfortunate,” St. Louis head coach Steve Spagnuolo said via the team's website. “Obviously, we are disappointed and will miss him during this suspension, but the NFL’s policies are very clear and we respect the League’s decision in this matter. We are unable to comment further on this matter or any aspect of the NFL’s Drug Policy.”

Pettis, a third-round pick out of Boise State, has appeared in 12 games (including three starts) and has 27 receptions for 256 yards (0 TDs). Injuries forced St. Louis to use Pettis as the No. 3 receiver for much of the season, and he's currently tied with Greg Salas for fourth on the team in receptions (behind Brandon Lloyd, Steven Jackson and Brandon Gibson).

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/33983156[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

do you get a 4 game suspension for the 2nd infraction or the 1st?

His positive test was for adderall, just like Wes Saunders. I would assume if we signed Pettis that he too would be a roster exception until his suspension is over.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    do you get a 4 game suspension for the 2nd infraction or the 1st?

His positive test was for adderall, just like Wes Saunders. I would assume if we signed Pettis that he too would be a roster exception until his suspension is over.
    Can't the Rams keep him then as a roster exception with having him count. That gives them two more games to see if anyone gets injured.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Can't the Rams keep him then as a roster exception with having him count. That gives them two more games to see if anyone gets injured.
    that's certainly true for Pettis, but would they do that if he projects as their #7 WR?

I figure there would be some sort of salary implication for the Rams if he makes the regular season roster, even if kept as a suspended player, but I really don't know how that all works.

Legend

User Info Menu

In training camps of the past, I seem to remember lots of debate on the board about who to keep for the #5 wr slot, with plenty of worth candidates. That certainly isn't the case this year, as none of the candidates have really stepped up, but I would imagine that other squads, including the Rams, probably do have a number of quality 4/5 wr options.

I could easily see the Steelers looking to waivers to add a #5 WR, especially if they can find one who contributes on special teams.