Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I see a trend here: Redman held out of practice due to injury

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Watching the Bills game I came away with the same conclusion: This dude's running style will have him hurt all year if he is a starting back. In order for him to stay in one piece, he needs to have just a handful of carries a game. Pgh needs to just know it as fact and plan on JD as the starting back. If they can't see this obvious trend, they are dumber than I thought. I have seen this all along and I don't get paid to do this for a living.
    I remember the play in which Red got hurt. He was running right, and was caught from behind. Bills defenders landed on his ankle.

We should be thankful its not a broken ankle!!

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Rookie

User Info Menu

Everyone in the NFL is leaning toward player safety.
    That is a good thing for career longevity.
    The more intense the player plays the more likely he is to get injured.
    The less intense he plays the more likely he gets cut.
    Everyone remember Chris Fuamalamala? (Spelling)
    He was oft injured.
    He was super intense.

Now I like Redman.
    He runs with abandon.
    He didn't like the nickname Redzone Redman.
    I thought it fit him like a glove.

If we see more Redzone Redman in the redzone then we will see more scoring.
    That's my opinion & I'm sticking to it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why is the "his playing style is likely to get him injured" argument used against Redman, and not against, say Ben Roethlisberger or Troy Polamalu? Both of those guys have playing styles that tend to lead to injuries as well.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Why is the "his playing style is likely to get him injured" argument used against Redman, and not against, say Ben Roethlisberger or Troy Polamalu? Both of those guys have playing styles that tend to lead to injuries as well.
    Beats Gilby's playing style of playing to get your teammates injured. First it was DJ. Second it was DD. If the trend continues, the next person will be JD. Anyone with those initials on the roster? That's the guy that we should be worried about.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

People expect Redman to do well because he has done exceptionally in short yardage, blocks very well, rarely loses yardage, catches well, has made huge plays that won real games for us and in his only start, he had a great game against a solid defense.
    Oh, is that all.

Dwyer, occasionally has looked like he can keep his roster spot against mostly backups in meaningless preseason games. In fairness to him, this year, he has earned the right to test himself in real games. But that is it. If in real games, he does well enough, then maybe a future shot.

But at this point, Redman has EARNED first his shot with great play in live action. As has Mendy. We'll see what Dwyer does in his chances during the reg. season. But the one thing that screams backup about him is how he performs in extended play. He always does well in periodic play and on his first play. But typically starts dancing, curling in a fetal position or begs to come out after a few plays in a row. Boy has no endurance at the NFL level yet.

Rookie

User Info Menu

We don't want to see any of these three injured.
    However we will with their most effective playing style.
    Does anyone want to see any less from them then their best?
    Yea I didn't really think so.
    It isn't a contact sport it's a collision sport.
    Who was it that said that?
    Mike Tomlin makes it very clear.
    " Injuries are part of football"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it has extensively been discussed with regards to Ben holding the ball waiting for something to develop instead of taking the easy dump off. Not as much, but there has also been discussions of Troy's style of play and how that makes him prone to injury especially concussions when he goes low on players to take out their legs.

Redman is not being unfairly criticized. Some runners have an innate ability to never get a clean hit on them others just take the abuse. IMO Redman is the latter.

It will be what it will be as the season plays out. Some just think with the contact he absorbs he will get hurt. That may end up being the case it may not. However, having nagging injuries throughout camp is not a good sign.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

God forbid a RB actually run hard and take a few hits. I expect Redman to get dinged up... Dwyer as well... along with any other RB on our roster who gets more than 10 touches a game.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well, no one said it can't apply to BB and TP as it most certainly can. But when you are talking a running back with a style that leads to injuries, it's magnified because of the nature of the position; you leave yourself up to get hit directly by NFL LBs, you gonna get smashed unless you are huge. Redman isn't that big.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    God forbid a RB actually run hard and take a few hits. I expect Redman to get dinged up... Dwyer as well... along with any other RB on our roster who gets more than 10 touches a game.
    There is "dinged up" and then there is "always missing time." Huge difference. Every NFL player who plays, saves kickers, is "dinged up" every single week. Most have trouble getting out of bed on Monday's. My prediction is that IR (ouch, look at his initials add up to, yikes) will miss time and games. He stays on his feet and fights for that extra inch, but takes a pounding while he does it. Even in the preseason, he took more punishment than his body will allow for.