Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I see a trend here: Redman held out of practice due to injury

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think it has extensively been discussed with regards to Ben holding the ball waiting for something to develop instead of taking the easy dump off. Not as much, but there has also been discussions of Troy's style of play and how that makes him prone to injury especially concussions when he goes low on players to take out their legs.

Redman is not being unfairly criticized. Some runners have an innate ability to never get a clean hit on them others just take the abuse. IMO Redman is the latter.

It will be what it will be as the season plays out. Some just think with the contact he absorbs he will get hurt. That may end up being the case it may not. However, having nagging injuries throughout camp is not a good sign.
    The voice of reason. Cool.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    People expect Redman to do well because he has done exceptionally in short yardage, blocks very well, rarely loses yardage, catches well, has made huge plays that won real games for us and in his only start, he had a great game against a solid defense.
    Oh, is that all.

Dwyer, occasionally has looked like he can keep his roster spot against mostly backups in meaningless preseason games. In fairness to him, this year, he has earned the right to test himself in real games. But that is it. If in real games, he does well enough, then maybe a future shot.

But at this point, Redman has EARNED first his shot with great play in live action. As has Mendy. We'll see what Dwyer does in his chances during the reg. season. But the one thing that screams backup about him is how he performs in extended play. He always does well in periodic play and on his first play. But typically starts dancing, curling in a fetal position or begs to come out after a few plays in a row. Boy has no endurance at the NFL level yet.
    Sure, IR (those initials will prove to be fitting and develop into his nickname) earned the right to playing time; no one ever said he didn't; it's just that some have predicted he won't last long as the starter, as his style invited many, many injuries and his moniker of IR will prove foretelling. That is all. And once IR is out, JD will prove to be the best back on the roster.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Haaaa, I remembered it..
    Insanesteelersfan.....
    Is that you incognito lloydroid?
    Cmon be honest bro it's all for fun..
    Swing and a miss. I don't think I have ever posted on here before. I did post in that other place that HawiianSteel posted though. I haven't been posting on any PS boards for a long time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    There is "dinged up" and then there is "always missing time." Huge difference. Every NFL player who plays, saves kickers, is "dinged up" every single week. Most have trouble getting out of bed on Monday's. My prediction is that IR (ouch, look at his initials add up to, yikes) will miss time and games. He stays on his feet and fights for that extra inch, but takes a pounding while he does it. Even in the preseason, he took more punishment than his body will allow for.
    Who is always missing time? Are you really going to point at preseason as proof Redman will miss a bunch of games down the road?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I've been saying this since Redman was annoited as having everything Mendenhall doesn't and therefore the new fan flavor of the week. The pfysical straight ahead running absorbing contact that fans like to see is what will keep him off the field for several games this season. We need Mendy to get well sooner rather than later. I have always had high hopes for Dwyer but Mendy is the surer bet if healthy.
    Problem is, RM was a pussy before he got his knee blown out. And a torn ACL takes AT LEAST a year to heal. So, what can we expect from RM, with a knee not 100% AND with him being soft BEFORE he tore it, so how soft will he be coming back in a situation where NON SOFT players lack confidence coming back? I have zero hope in getting a RM back and productive this year. RM is soft, end of story. He has been a disappointment in his NFL career.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    great idea! You guys should totally bet e-dollars on it!
    No, I want to bet real $. He shouldn't go soft now. Put your $ where your mouth is. If you are going to assert something, have the stones to back it up.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    This thread is ridiculous. If you break it down to injuries per career carry, Dwyer is more injury prone than Redman. And I know of no statistic that bears out the claim that "physical, straight ahead running absorbing contact" is either more likely to "keep a player off the field for several games" or that it's "what fans like to see." Speaking for myself, I love to see backs bounce off to the outside and display great open field running ability just as much as I like to see a good inside running game. It's EFFECTIVE running that I want to see. If you polled fans, I'd be surprised if the majority felt any different about it.

In today's NFL, it's good to have a stable of backs with varying running styles. I don't think any of these backs are going to be used exclusively; Haley will use a platoon system. But there are times when you need the surer bet on short yardage, and up until now, Redman has looked like the best back in those situations. Maybe Dwyer will prove to be just as good in short yardage. Based on his body of work, Mendenhall hasn't looked like that guy to me.

I don't care if it's Redman #1 and Dwyer #2, or Dwyer #1 and Redman #2, or Mendy #1 and Redman #2, or Redman #1 and Mendy #2, or some other combination of Mendy, Redman and Dwyer, as long as the running game is EFFECTIVE. I'm tired of watching RBs dancing in the backfield and getting knocked for a loss on a large percentage of our running plays. I'm tired of seeing them, way too often, gain one yard when we need two.

Dwyer has looked impressive in limited preseason action. If he continues to play that way, I think Mendy will likely be playing for a different team next season.
    It's not that simple. You need to have the vision to see that IR's combination of rushing style and body is going to get him hurt. Other backs are bruisers but just have the knack of avoiding the kind of contact, more so than IR, that makes you miss games. Bettis took some shots, but he was huge. (265?) IR has a strong lower body, but he is not a huge guy at all. Look at Stephen Jackson. He is a horse, plays physical but he can dish it out and take it. IR can't, not for long. He will fight for that extra yardage and take the kind of shots that will put him out of games. We will soon see who is right about this subject and who will be proven wrong.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm more concerned about Redman's fumbling than his nagging injuries.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Who is always missing time? Are you really going to point at preseason as proof Redman will miss a bunch of games down the road?
    No, I am PREDICTING he is going to miss games, based on my eye test and knowing a thing or two.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Problem is, RM was a pussy before he got his knee blown out. And a torn ACL takes AT LEAST a year to heal. So, what can we expect from RM, with a knee not 100% AND with him being soft BEFORE he tore it, so how soft will he be coming back in a situation where NON SOFT players lack confidence coming back? I have zero hope in getting a RM back and productive this year. RM is soft, end of story. He has been a disappointment in his NFL career.
    Spoken by someone who probably has never played a down of organized football in his/her life...

Calling an NFL player a pu$$y. Awesome.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion