Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers defense wants to be ‘legendary’

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    Wasn't 2008 the year we had the most ridiculous strength of schedule in the league in quite sometime? Maybe even since the merger?

I think it was.

That defense was legendary in my mind.
    Considering the strength of schedule, coupled with better O's in 2008 than in 1985 and 1978...yeah the 2008 Steelers D was legendary.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Considering the strength of schedule, coupled with better O's in 2008 than in 1985 and 1978...yeah the 2008 Steelers D was legendary.
    Yep. Legendary. Best Steeler D in 30 years. Overall. Maybe not as much hype as the Blitzburgh D's of the mid 90's but alot better overall.

The best Steeler D's will always be the three between 1975-1977 (maybe 78 )

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    At this point, they have trouble stopping the run. I'd like to see them focus on fixing that other than this legendary talk.
    Through 3 preseason games the Steelers defense has allowed 255 yards rushing for an average of 85 ypg.
    Is this your opinion?
    If you said last year they had trouble stopping the run, I might agree with you....

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    “We are striving to be legendary,” safety Ryan Clark said of the defense’s not-immodest expectations.
    Striving.

Striving to be legendary. This, in itself, is an admission that this defense is not legendary as it stands right now.

I don't understand how this can be equated to the "Dream Team" comment of Vince Young...

I agree that the 2008 defense was legendary. While the lead was lost in the SB, it was lost due to the performance of a HoF QB and a Legendary WR...

For single game passing yardage in a Super Bowl, there are the top 3 totals:

1) 414 Kurt Warner, St. Louis XXXIV

2) 377 Kurt Warner, Arizona XLIII

3) 365 Kurt Warner, St. Louis XXXVI

That dude is a gamer in the biggest game of all...hampered with crap defenses, for the most part...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Through 3 preseason games the Steelers defense has allowed 255 yards rushing for an average of 85 ypg.
    Is this your opinion?
    If you said last year they had trouble stopping the run, I might agree with you....
    The starting defense has given up too many good runs so far. That is for certain. I don't give a crap about the 2nd and third teamers when evaluating this team's run defense. Fred Jackson and other good backs have looked very strong against our starters in the 4 Qs or so they have played.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.