Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: JD is a baller

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I just think that at best Redman gets 800-900 yards and about 6 or 7 TDs.
    I would be ecstatic with that kind of production from a UDFA...that would mean that he carried the ball about 175-180 times, which is a decent workload for a RB by committee...

Since 2008, in the offenses that Todd Haley has been involved with, they tend to go RB by committee, with sometimes two or three players with more than 100 carries and roughly equally spread around...

What the Steelers will need is another back, be it Jon Dwyer, Rashard Mendenhall, or someone else to step up and produce equally well with roughly the same number of carries...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Ed Bouchette

Pittsburgh Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer is making a push for the team's starting running back job after a strong preseason showing. Dwyer and RB Isaac Redman (hip, ankle) are both expected to see plenty of reps in the absence of RB Rashard Mendenhall (knee).

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Dwyer has a good skill set to be an effective runner for the Steelers. He's big, powerful, and has a determined between the tackles running style. Consistency and effort have been question marks for him in the past. Both Dwyer and Redman should get carries against a weak Broncos run D on Sunday night.
    I agree it doesn't necessarily mean anything re who starts. But that being said, Pgh's typical format was the starter gets 3 to 1 the carries of the back up. But they may change that if they think the two backs we have a fairly even. If JD gets his touches, he will edge out IR for carries. He just brings bigger plays to the table - AND more big plays than Spin-denhall brings as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I agree it doesn't necessarily mean anything re who starts. But that being said, Pgh's typical format was the starter gets 3 to 1 the carries of the back up. But they may change that if they think the two backs we have a fairly even. If JD gets his touches, he will edge out IR for carries. He just brings bigger plays to the table - AND more big plays than Spin-denhall brings as well.
    I think the 3 to 1 will change with Haley... and I think Rainey will be in the mix as well.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Read the above post...

While that may be typical in Pgh's past, it is not typical for Todd Haley offenses...

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah...Thomas Jones and Jamaal Charles had pretty close to an even split in K.C., if I recall correctly.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Read the above post...

While that may be typical in Pgh's past, it is not typical for Todd Haley offenses...
    Agree. I think it will be more typical to rotate series or even quarters under Haley. If I recall the few KC games I saw he actually goes with the hot hand and keeps feeding that guy until the defense adjusts and then he throws in a change.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

You might add Rashard Mendenhall in the mix, too. Tomlin hasn't ruled out starting him Sunday.

[URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20049751/steelers-notebook-mike-wallace-and-rashard-mendenhall-might-play-in-opener"]www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20049751/steelers-notebook-mike-wallace-and-rashard-mendenhall-might-play-in-opener[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There is no way that Mendenhall starts on Sunday. He might play, which I doubt, but he is not the starter. Either Redman or Dwyer will be the starter and I'm happy with either one of them. Dwyer has shown a lot of improvement in this pre-season. Enough that I think he'll show the necessary effort. Redman has already proven to me that he can be successful in our backfield with a makeshift line.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

no matter who runs the ball i'll be happy if it makes progress for the team. too many people jumped the gun when art II said, " we need to run the ball." i really believe he meant, we need the run the ball affectively and if needed as an edge. arians in my opinion gave no respect on what running the ball to a team could mean. it's a passing league and everyone knows it but, running the ball for ball control, clock control, punching it in on short yardage or giving your own defense a rest is all about offensive weaponry.
    redmen, dwyer or a healthy mendenhall can do a lot for our team. this coud be a great offense if lead correctly. if we do go to the super bowl i say it will be the offense that paves the way.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

BTW, I never knew what anyone ever season in Dixon. I hope some of you pick your doctors better than your players.