Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace has arrived

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Hope so, but it is very common for guys who come in late to get a hammie dinged - especially fast, WR types.
    I've heard that as well. However, I wonder if his conditioning might mitigate that issue.

Legend

User Info Menu

Can he play guard?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

We knew this was going to happen all along. Now lets see if he can avoid injury. A dinged hammie is likely.
    Wallace has been working out with Tom Shaw in Orlando, he'll be fine and in great shape.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The regular season can't get here soon enough.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Wallace has been working out with Tom Shaw in Orlando, he'll be fine and in great shape.
    Hope so, but they say there is "in shape" and then there is "football shape." Running sprints just isn't the same thing as playing actual football.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddjammin View Post
    To Steelers headquarters per PFT
    Should have arrived a month ago. (sorry but I'm still bitter about this whole situation.)

Legend

User Info Menu

Pro Bowl receiver Mike Wallace arrives at Steelers camp after holdout

August 28, 2012
    By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Wide receiver Mike Wallace enters the Steelers' South Side facility on Tuesday.

Pro Bowl receiver Mike Wallace arrived this morning at the Steelers' South Side practice facility and was warmly greeted by his teammates who say they had no problem with his long holdout.

Wallace reported shortly before 11:30 a.m. and signed the one-year, $2.7 million tender he was offered in March. The Steelers never lowered or rescinded the tender, something they could have done since June under the league's labor agreement

Wallace's arrival means Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew is the only NFL player to remain a holdout.

"He's a part of this team, he's one of our brothers and we're going to embrace him," said Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison. "What he does as far as the business is business, and he has to do what's best for him."

"It's part of the business," said safety Ryan Clark, the team's player representative. "Someone like me, who sees the uglier side of the business, you understand when it's your opportunity, when it's your time to get a contract for the long-term, you have to seize it and jump on it. That's what Mike did."

Wallace has to go through a three-day acclimation period before he is allowed to practice or play -- meaning he won't be in uniform Thursday night for the final preseason game against the Carolina Panthers.

It also means he won't be able to practice with the team until Monday when they start preparing for the Sept. 9 season opener in Denver. Right now, the Steelers are not scheduled to practice Friday, Saturday or Sunday after the Carolina game.

Harrison, who posted a locker-room interview with Wallace on his Twitter account, said he doesn't think it will take long for Wallace to get back in the flow of the offense under new coordinator Todd Haley.

"All he got to do is put a top on," Harrison said.

The Steelers have said they would not continue negotiations on a long-term contract until Wallace reported to the team. Now that he has, there is no guarantee that will happen.

For starters, the Steelers are not overly confident they can come to some long-term agreement because they believe Wallace wants to seek bigger money on the free-agent market.

Also, the window for signing Wallace to a new contract has diminished greatly -- if the Steelers hold to their long-standing rule not to negotiate contracts once the regular season has started.

But it appears that rule could be stretched, if the Steelers feel they are making some kind of progress with Wallace.

"We all have egos," Clark said. "It's the reason we play this game and the reason we want to do well. We don't want to be embarrassed. We don't want to go out there and not play well. As a receiver, you don't want to drop balls, you don't want to run wrong routes. Mike is going to come here with that frame of mind. If he wants to get the type of contract he's searching for, he has to play well. He knows that."

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/pro-bowl-receiver-wallace-arrives-at-steelers-camp-650844/#ixzz24rO7YlPE[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    Can he play guard?
    or center?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hope so, but it is very common for guys who come in late to get a hammie dinged - especially fast, WR types.
    He's been busting his ass the entire time with Shaw in Florida. I sincerely doubt the guy shows up out of shape, especially when he wants a new contract. His hamstring is going to be fine.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope I misheard it, but they just did an update on NFLN, and I thought they said he is not expected to practice until next week?