Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Steelers will have first losing season since 2003

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I would say we have a QB advantage over the Cleveland Browns and Brandon Weeden.
    I can see this one, but it is not much. Considering Lebeau's advantage over rookies. The thing I would say to this is that Weeden can beat you more than Cassel and the Browns have a very good defense. I would say realistically the Steelers go 1-1 with Cleveland this year.
    Last edited by BigRob; 11-16-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I can see this one, but it is not much. Considering Lebeau's advantage over rookies. The thing I would say to this is that Weeden can beat you more than Cassel and the Browns have a very good defense. I say would could realistically go 1-1 with Cleveland this year.
    I'll agree with you here, the game at Cleveland sandwiched in between the two Ravens games is going to be very tough.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

you bammas...

every time Ben goes down, "oh, no's.. the season is lost"

I will be shocked... shocked I tell you, if we miss the playoffs. Watch this D step up.

Legend

User Info Menu

How is this beyond pessimistic?

This is a QB driven league more than ever before. We have already lost to the Raiders and Titans. We almost lost to KC in OT. That was WITH BEN.

Make all of the excuses you want, but look at our remaining schedule. What game do we have a decisive QB advantage? None.

You can also argue 2010 all you want. This is not the same defense. Clark(Concussion issues), Polamalu (Held together by string), Hampton (Not the same player).

Why is it not realistic to think we could go 1-6 to end the season?
    Lefty's QB rating is it's best when he's playing for Pittsburgh. He's an average QB and has as much talent around him on O as he's ever had in his career. If he maintains a 100+ QB rating while playing for us, he'll be amongst the top QBs in the league.

Lefty hasn't thrown an INT in Pittsburgh. And we haven't lost a game with him. The only game he's participate in that we've lost was several years back vs Philly. The game was lost and he came in top mop up for the last 2 minutes.

The rest of the team will step up and focus more to help Byron.

Based on his historic performance with us, no reason he can't go 7-0 down the stretch or he'll get hurt. But to expect him to 1-6 just doesn't seem reasonable to me. Over his career, he's won 50% of his games. And he's got a team that's better than average.

Everyone thought we'd got 0-4 when Ben got suspended. We've seen enough of the standard being the standard to expect more.

Legend

User Info Menu

How is this beyond pessimistic?

This is a QB driven league more than ever before. We have already lost to the Raiders and Titans. We almost lost to KC in OT. That was WITH BEN.

Make all of the excuses you want, but look at our remaining schedule. What game do we have a decisive QB advantage? None.

You can also argue 2010 all you want. This is not the same defense. Clark(Concussion issues), Polamalu (Held together by string), Hampton (Not the same player).

Why is it not realistic to think we could go 1-6 to end the season?
    You aren't taking into account that the team has been getting better week by week the KC game is the anomaly. You're looking back at the beginning of the year and transferring that play into this week's game. More likely is the fact that the defense will continue to play well (the trend recently) and the offense needs to continue to improve and not make mistakes. The special teams while not making any big plays have not given up any big plays either, Suisham has been money all year and Butler has been good at situational punting, but not great at just booming it when necessary.

The coaching staff and players have adjusted well to each team that they have played during the game. Leftwich took all the snaps this week, Haley has said his offense isn't a system, but an offense predicated on the personnel that he has to work with. I'm sure he'll refine the playbook to take advantage of Leftwich's strengths and mitigate his weaknesses to the extent that he can.

Sit back, relax and watch a good game Sunday night, the Steelers may surprise you, I won't be shocked or disappointed if they win or lose.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Lefty's QB rating is it's best when he's playing for Pittsburgh. He's an average QB and has as much talent around him on O as he's ever had in his career. If he maintains a 100+ QB rating while playing for us, he'll be amongst the top QBs in the league.

Lefty hasn't thrown an INT in Pittsburgh. And we haven't lost a game with him. The only game he's participate in that we've lost was several years back vs Philly. The game was lost and he came in top mop up for the last 2 minutes.

The rest of the team will step up and focus more to help Byron.

Based on his historic performance with us, no reason he can't go 7-0 down the stretch or he'll get hurt. But to expect him to 1-6 just doesn't seem reasonable to me. Over his career, he's won 50% of his games. And he's got a team that's better than average.

Everyone thought we'd got 0-4 when Ben got suspended. We've seen enough of the standard being the standard to expect more.
    What was his record the last time he was a starter?

That would be Tampa Bay in 2009. He got benched after an 0-3 start.

He also lost his gig to David Garrard, not exactly a world beater. He went more than two years between starts. He is also older than Ben and is injury prone his whole career. His career passer rating is 79.5.

He is a great Back-up QB, but there is a very realistic chance this team goes 1-6 to end the season if Ben does not come back.
    Last edited by BigRob; 11-16-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I take no pleasure in this, but remember when everyone said It was stupid to post this prior to the season?

I really hope I am wrong at this point, but 7-9 looks very realistic.
    wait

you posted this before the season started, didnt you?

we went 6-3 despite missing out best D player for most of the season and it took an injury to our franchise QB for you to come back and say your prediction wasnt off base?

am i missing something here?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

am i missing something here?
    Yep,

You missed the part where I said we would have a losing season because Ben would get injured. With Ben: Winner. Without Ben:Losers.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

What was his record the last time he was a starter?

That would be Tampa Bay in 2009. He got benched after an 0-3 start.

He also lost his gig to David Garrard, not exactly a world beater. He went more than two years between starts. He is also older than Ben and is injury prone his whole career. His career passer rating is 79.5.

He is a great Back-up QB, but there is a very realistic chance this team goes 1-6 to end the season if Ben does not come back.
    Did you see that Tampa Team? You do recall Steve Young in Tampa dont you? How did he do? Put him on a good team and you saw what happened. You dont think Roethlisberger benifits from being on the Steelers? How many Qbs get to go to the SB after playing as poorly as he did vs the Jets? How many get to win one as badly as he played in 05?

Ben has led us to our share of wins too but lets not act like Leftwich is the only one to benefit from being a Steeler. Ike, Starks, Clark etc all benefit from being a Steeler. Including Mikey T. For you Leftwich doubters, he plays well for us and in 08 he rivaled our starter.

Leftwich played in the same games as Ben did in 08 vs the Eagles, Skins, Browns and Texans and didn't encounter the same problems as Ben did vs the blitz. In fact in same games in 08 Leftwich rivaled Ben.

vs. Skins- Leftwich 7-10 129 yards 1 TD 145 rating
    - Big Ben 5-17 50 yards 1 INT 15.1 rating

vs. Browns Lefty- 7-12 80 yards 78.5 rating 1 Td run
    Roethlisberger 9-14 110 yards 1 INT 58.6 rating

vs. Eagles Big Ben 13-25 131 yards 1 INT 50.6 rating
    Leftwich 4-7 60 yards 85.4 rating

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Texans was 07 after Ben lit it up!!