Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom and Gloom...its at it's highest!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Doom and Gloom...its at it's highest!

I dont think I can ever remember a Steeler off season where as many fans as there are now who are so down on this football team. If you didn't know any better you'd think we were the Cleveland Browns.

And no one seems to be immune from the abuse. I dont get it. I for one will not be swayed by this. I know this team is just a few pieces away from returning to glory. And sometimes that appears in the form of luck. It could be something the organization doesn't even do. A player could fall to them that could be a star.

I also know this team lost 5 games by 3 points or less. A little tweak here and a little more there and the Pittsburgh Steelers are right back at the top of the mountain.

I for one can't wait till Ben Roethlisberger leads the Steelers to #7. I believe it is sooner than many of our fans think. But if you need to be so down on the Steelers to make yourself feel better, then knock yourself out. I think it would be much more effective to get some counseling for that, but what do I know? I still believe in the Steelers. There must be something wrong with me I guess.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I dont think I can ever remember a Steeler off season where as many fans as there are now who are so down on this football team. If you didn't know any better you'd think we were the Cleveland Browns.

And no one seems to be immune from the abuse. I dont get it. I for one will not be swayed by this. I know this team is just a few pieces away from returning to glory. And sometimes that appears in the form of luck. It could be something the organization doesn't even do. A player could fall to them that could be a star.

I also know this team lost 5 games by 3 points or less. A little tweak here and a little more there and the Pittsburgh Steelers are right back at the top of the mountain.

I for one can't wait till Ben Roethlisberger leads the Steelers to #7. I believe it is sooner than many of our fans think. But if you need to be so down on the Steelers to make yourself feel better, then knock yourself out. I think it would be much more effective to get some counseling for that, but what do I know? I still believe in the Steelers. There must be something wrong with me I guess.
    A lot of people on the board are confusing "pessimism" with "realism"...they are very different things...

Missing the playoffs causes many to lose perspective...

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree but there is nothing wrong with questioning how a team went from 6-2 to 8-8 and losing a few must win games against bad competition. We lost 5 games by 3 points or less.... and that's the problem. It's always by the skin of our teeth or almost with this team. It would be nice to need a win and watch our team go out and put in a solid performance instead of looking like they are hung over from a night of partying.

Here is where I think you differ from most fans on here... most fans aren't thinking about the draft right after the opening kick off to a season. I think its easier for you to get over it because the draft is what you love... so an 8-8 season is gravy because we get to pick higher and you get to talk mock much earlier than usual. Most fans love making the playoffs... you love making mock drafts.

Just my since you think something is wrong with you

Legend

User Info Menu

Only a few have lost all perspective of the season and they may be new to SteelerNation, because if they have been around for any length of time they would realize that the Steelers do not panic, they do evaluate what happened and will have a plan for the draft and will be ready to compete come August. The necessary changes will have been made and they will move on. As a fan of this team for a very long time even during the dark ages (1980s) the Steelers didn't make rash judgments and unsound decisions and they won't this year either. There is a lot of football and football business knowledge in the front office of the Steelers. The Steelers will compete next year and hopefully, have a better outcome than this past year, but even if they don't they won't hit the panic button and turn themselves into the Browns, Dolphins, Jets, Titans, etc.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Nah Pap... Fire Tomlin, Fire DL.... definitely fire the ST's coach (I mean that) and trade Ben.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree but there is nothing wrong with questioning how a team went from 6-2 to 8-8 and losing a few must win games against bad competition.
    I agree with that and you have known me to do that myself. But I am not talking about that. It's the constant bashing of certain players and coaches over and over and over. It is out of hand. There's a difference.

Here is where I think you differ from most fans on here... most fans aren't thinking about the draft right after the opening kick off to a season. I think its easier for you to get over it because the draft is what you love... so an 8-8 season is gravy because we get to pick higher and you get to talk mock much earlier than usual. Most fans love making the playoffs... you love making mock drafts.

Just my since you think something is wrong with you
    This idea you have of me couldn't be farther from the truth. I love the draft because I love college football And I link them both together for my first love ..the Pittsburgh Steelers. If you think I would rather make a mock draft over the Steelers making the playoffs then you aren't a very observant person or you just don't know how to really read someone. And it is not easy for me to get over a season like the past. I saw this coming. If you read some of my posts early in the season I didnt think this was a team that would be great. But as I said then I think they are close. And all they need to so is a few tweaks here and there. Nothing drastic. I bleed Black and Gold so it affects me as much as it affects you.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Not questioning your passion for the Steelers Dub... I just think your passion is watching players who can help our team next year vs what we are doing this year.

"would you rather make the playoffs/lose the last game or lose and get a higher draft pick?"

I don;t know who posted it but IMO when people look towards the draft early and often it's usually easier for them to get over the season. I predicted 10-6..expected the playoffs. Hell, even if I fell on my head and predicted 6-10 I would still be furious if we were 6-2 or 6-3 and ended up 8-8.

But that's just me and my opinion.. maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-15-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Actually, Browns' fans remain inappropriately optimistic where almost all else would realize there is no hope (other than now, which I think they are actually on the verge of getting decent.) The reason some of us are "down" on the Steelers is because we were supposed to be a legit contender this year and the completely embarrassing losses to so many bad teams causes us to be sickened by an undisciplined, sloppy, unfocused team. It was because this team should never have lost to SD, TN, Oak and Cle that so many of us are ticked off.
    I don't see anyone claiming that the team is doomed. But some are angry that they have so under-performed.

This is inaccurate. This team, even if they won some of those games, is no where near as good as the truly best teams. NE and SF would bury them, by 20 or 30.

How does being realistic about the Steelers make anyone "feel better about themselves?" That is illogical. Bonehead Ben will not be leading us to any ring #7 until he gets more serious about his play. This isn't an intra mural team, playing for your frat with a keg on the sidelines, but he acts like it is. He seems to only take this serious AFTER he loses a Super Bowl or losing a game to end our season. His careless play is a big reason we didn't make the post season. And, his teammates don't seem to believe in him or feel he's sincere. Until he takes this seriously, we will not see another ring.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not questioning your passion for the Steelers Dub... I just think your passion is watching players who can help our team next year vs what we are doing this year.

"would you rather make the playoffs/lose the last game or lose and get a higher draft pick?"

I don;t know who posted it but IMO when people look towards the draft early and often it's usually easier for them to get over the season. I predicted 10-6..expected the playoffs. Hell, even if I fell on my head and predicted 6-10 I would still be furious if we were 6-2 or 6-3 and ended up 8-8.

But that's just me and my opinion.. maybe I'm wrong.
    No, you're not wrong. Going from 6-2 to 8-8 is totally unacceptable. And the lack of team discipline was pathetic. Tomlin was a disgrace this season. But if he looks "cool" wearing his sunglasses and twirling his whistle, we are supposed to overlook the lack of team discipline. After all, he looks cool in his sunglasses.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree with you, this team as it is currently comprised has one more good year left. With little roster turnover we can compete.

However, I think there are changes that need to be made to help us be competitive in the future. The conditioning and motivation of the players have to be addressed. The team has bought into the Steeler hype and believe they can win by just showing up.

We have to be one of the worst conditioned teams in the league. This is evidenced by Art II's recent comments. This is also evidenced by the rash of injuries this team has. It needs to be better conditioned than it is now.

We also lack leadership. Ben Roethlisberger is not a leader, period. How many team MVP's has this guy received? None. That speaks volumes to how the team as a whole thinks of Roethlisberger. I am sure they love having him at QB, but the team does not view him as a leader.

On defense, we lack that leader that can rally the troops. I love Harrison and Polamalu, but neither are outspoken leaders. We miss Farrior in this role. How can Woodley be a leader when he can't get in shape to play through a season?

The real question for this team is who is going to be motivated and who is going to step-up as a leader.