Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our 1st two picks in the 2012 draft were for nothing

Legend

User Info Menu

Our 1st two picks in the 2012 draft were for nothing

1st, Adams our 2nd rounder, plays like a freshman in college and now our 1st rounder, who was not pushing many people around either, is out for most, if not all of his rookie season. I think we may be better off with the group we have now on the OL because Foster has been playing better than DeCastro anyway. We just wont be pulling the guard all that much now. Was anyone here sold on DeCastro from what you saw so far? I know he'll progress and get better, but just how much better?

One more thing. I've been reading we'll be passing quickly and often to mask our poor OL. That sounds great, but if a writer can now predict what we do, I think we need to take a different course of action. Let Ben do what he do. Run for his life and throw TD's.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    1st, Adams our 2nd rounder, plays like a freshman in college and now our 1st rounder, who was not pushing many people around either, is out for most, if not all of his rookie season. I think we may be better off with the group we have now on the OL because Foster has been playing better than DeCastro anyway. We just wont be pulling the guard all that much now. Was anyone here sold on DeCastro from what you saw so far? I know he'll progress and get better, but just how much better?

One more thing. I've been reading we'll be passing quickly and often to mask our poor OL. That sounds great, but if a writer can now predict what we do, I think we need to take a different course of action. Let Ben do what he do. Run for his life and throw TD's.
    They weren't for nothing...they were an investment in the future of the team...

If you are expecting both your 1st and 2nd round picks to make a huge impact in their rookie season, your team sucked the previous year...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    They weren't for nothing...they were an investment in the future of the team...

If you are expecting both your 1st and 2nd round picks to make a huge impact in their rookie season, your team sucked the previous year...
    My expectations were not very high and the Steelers did not suck last year, but the OL did, hence the draft we had. I guess I'm more disappointed then anything about DeCastro and Adams and this post is some what of a vent.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Backup

User Info Menu

Attached Images Attached Images

Legend

User Info Menu

My expectations were not very high and the Steelers did not suck last year, but the OL did
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not trying to attack YOUR post here, but I read some blogger or somebody who was making the same comment about DeCastro (i.e. that he was underwhelming). I gotta say, that is utterly silly. To expect everyone to make a seamless transition to the NFL is silly. Now... I've said the same thing about Adams, so you might be asking: What about him? My answer is that I thought he was a scrub all along, so it's par for the course as far as I'm concerned.

With DeCastro... jeez, give him more than two preseason games to adjust!

Legend

User Info Menu

Man, do you people smoke crack?
    I know some are angry but this is plain stupid talk.
    I've tried to hold my tongue but someone needs to set these moronic threadstarters straight.

I guess I'm just venting

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You ARE crazy. DeCastro was beginning to play well. In the second preseason game, I thought he did a nice job sealing run lanes and getting downfield. He was an excellent pick and should pay dividends in future seasons (IF he can stay healthy). You can be angry if you want about Adams. He is a boom or bust type pick. He was not shown the ability to play pro LT to this point. However, it is silly to throw him on the scrap heap at this point though.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought that DeCastro was playing well. He wasn't playing at the level of Faneca or Hutchinson, but it was just 2 preseason games into his career. Faneca wasn't Faneca his first game, either. I think DD was playing well and I'm still pretty sure that he'll be the Steelers starting RG for the next decade, and I'd be surprised if there were not at least a few pro bowl appearances sprinkled in there.

As for Adams, I haven't seen the third preseason game yet, but I heard that he played better. As mentioned above, he is an investment in the future. Even for this season, I think he can easily be an upgrade over Jon Scott, the guy he replaced on the roster.

With the exception of Ben, Pouncey and Gilbert, almost everybody on the current roster did not seriously contribute until their second or third season -- Brown, Mendenhall (injury), Ike, Troy, Timmons, Woodley, etc., etc. I'm fine with waiting on Adams and DD.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I guess I didn't have the expectation that these guys would be day 1 starters anyway. The idea that DD or Adams would start or have superior seasons was merely gravy to me. The term "investment in the future" is a good one.